SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

I think this is probably a scam, could I get some advice?

View next topic
View previous topic

Poll :: Is it a scam?

yes
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

funnygirl
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I got an email from Mario Cimarro, whose name I googled... he's a Cuban actor. (hott, I might add......)
Anyway, he's offering me a job. The tricky thing is, I've been searching for jobs on Craigslist lately, and have sent out resum├ęs to several places. And I am interested in working with/for non-profits, so this is close to my interests. The email is so detailed, and the English is very good, so I thought it was real at first. A few things made me wonder, though. Could I get some honest and experienced feedback on this job offer, please? Here's the email:

Hello [my actual name],

Thank you for your response to my Job Advert on Craigslist.

The local position available as advertized is Area Coordinator. My work essentially is to assist large Multi-National Computer Companies in USA and UK and others to distribute and donate their used, but re-furbished and functional Desktop and Laptops Computers to Charity as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). CSR refers to operating a business in a manner that accounts for the social and environmental impact created by the business. Some see this simply as "charity or philanthropy"; but it is, essentially, a vital investment in a Company's future relevant to a business success and a compliance with government regulations.

I am contracted by large Multi-National Computer Companies, IT Companies and other Companies in different sectors, and paid a good fee, to locate and donate these used desktop and laptop computers to organizations and individuals inclined towards Charity and Humanitarian activities that will be needing them to enhance and strengthen their operations and projects. The humanitarian organizations will receive these desktop and laptop computers completely free from any charge or fee. Donating Companies receive lots of tax refunds from government on these computers and also saves on re-cycling costs. Like I mentioned on my advert page, my business is new and the business name, of which registration will be completed in 2 weeks, is PC Systems Dist. Co.

Your Job description:

(a). You will source for groups or organizations within your area that will be needing these used desktop and laptop computers and we shall make free donations to them. Such groups or organizations can be a church group, an orphanage, children/teen learning centers, schools, homes for the mentally/physically challenged, hockey team, sociology class, a shopping group, a food club, a yoga class, etc. A maximum of 6 computers can be donated to a single group or organization. After you have located a group or organization and their contact person, you will forward the details to me for follow up and assessment. Please note that the more computers I donate, the more income I make.

(b). You will coordinate the shipping of the Computers while in transit from the Companies to the receiving group or organization. After computers are shipped, I will forward the shipping details to you for effective monitoring until delivery is completed.

(c). You will make payments to the courier or freight companies for their shipping services before or after delivery of the computers are completed. Since these charges are the responsibility of the donating companies, they will mail a Check to you which you will process at your bank and then pay the shipping charges. This Check for shipping charges will be made out in your name and you will pay the charges after the Check is processed by your bank. I'll provide the payment instructions that you will need at any point.

(d) . You will also supervise other shipping [including payments] and deliveries on-going within and around your area even though the effort wasn't initiated by you.

Your Internet bills and Phone charges arising from making calls on behalf of my business will be my responsibility. This job's only requirement is that you have a computer, Internet connection and a valid phone number. This position is ideal for everybody...those working from home, students, the unemployed, business owners and the employed seeking to make an extra income. It's simple and rewarding and you can start right away.

Remuneration:
I will pay you $750 every week, making a monthly total of $3000. Your assignments will require that you visit offices and organizations and so you will receive an additional sum of $250 weekly as transport expense payment. Essentially, you will be required to work at least 1-2 hours daily. You will chose your work hour.

Confirm your acceptance of the above job terms by replying and typing "I ACCEPT", also providing your full names, cont act address [ not P.O Box ] and direct telephone numbers. Work commences upon your confirmation. We shall communicate via email and phone until we meet one on one within the next two weeks.

I look forward to hearing from you and to working with you.

Regards

--
Mario Cimarro
[email ends with an address in Idaho, two phone numbers, and an email address, which he actually replied to.]
Jeannette
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi funnygirl,

well done - you spotted an elaborate version of a nasty scam. They want to use you as a "mule", i.e. you are supposed to bank their fake cheques and send the money - minus your "fee" - to them via Western Union.
Eventually - maybe after months - the bank will come after you for the money, and very likely also the police.

Plus they want you to handle stolen goods, and you will be held responsible when the police find out.

Please post this scam mail over at our sister site,
http://www.scamwarners.com/

complete with the scammer's email address, this will help other targeted persons doing a Google search.

Edit: Typos

Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I will pay you $750 every week, making a monthly total of $3000. Your assignments will require that you visit offices and organizations and so you will receive an additional sum of $250 weekly as transport expense payment. Essentially, you will be required to work at least 1-2 hours daily

Assuming 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, the salary would come to $75 an hour for cashing and writing checks. That's more than many highly skilled professionals are paid for jobs requiring years of education--but you are being offered this job by someone who doesn't even know your full name and phone number?

ANY offer, regardless of the description of responsibilities, that is offering this kind of hourly pay to random people on the internet is going to be a scam.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks so much for your help. I guess I'm feeling so desperate for a job, my better judgment is a bit skewed. But the more I thought about it, the more it seemed "off." There's no offer for an interview. No business would hire someone without screening them to make sure it's a good match.
Anyone want to bait him? I don't feel like I can.
Thanks again, everyone.
ateabanah
Gone fishin'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I think this is probably a scam

This ^ is the first indication that it is a scam. If you'd like to stick around the forums here, make a gmail account, copy and paste the email content and sender and reply to bait them. (After reading the tips and guidelines of course.)

It could be fun! :]

-AAB[/quote]
funnygirl
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, I would, it's just that I'm a single mom, unemployed at the moment, taking care of a baby, and looking for jobs, so I don't think I have the time or energy to deal with it. But would any of you like to be "my friend who is also looking for a job," to which I could pass along the opportunity?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic