SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

UK landline

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
peltast
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was probably scammed last year.

In many ways it was a typical rom scam - good looking girl on dating website, we traded emails, then she had to go abroad before we'd had a chance to meet up, then she's madly in love with me, then she urgently needs money to return to the UK.

I told her I couldn't afford the 500 she was asking for. Then she said that she could get an airline ticket with just 200, so I sent her that WU. Then she said she needed more. I didn't send any more, and the emails dried up soon afterwards.

So was I scammed? Here's the rub.

Before she went abroad, I spoke with her twice on a UK landline. Now four possibilities occur to me.

First, she was a UK resident who then went abroad to scam me - not very plausible.

Second, she was two people really. One woman in the UK took calls, while another woman in Africa went to the WU outlet to get the dosh.

Third, she lived in Africa and had a landline which she managed to dress up as a UK landline.

Fourth, she was telling the truth.

Here are a few more facts. I phoned her on her landline after she wanted more money, and got the call minder, which is what you'd expect if she was out of the country. I then called her landline again a few months later, and found it no longer active, which is what you'd expect if she were trapped in Africa and unable to pay her phone bill. Also, I cannot remember any overseas phone calls being listed on my phone bill at this time.

Is it possible to disguise an African landline as a UK landline?

If it isn't, then I conclude she was genuine, and that I was not scammed.

I still lost over 200 quid though, but I'll put it down to experience.
The Scam Hunter
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry you got taken, but at least it wasn't for too much.

Yes, you were scammed.
And yes, you can get a fake phone number to make it look like you're in UK or anyplace else you want. That means your option 3 is the most likely.

We have no time for your joking, dear XXXXX Thank you for using our services. (Yulia Ivanova)

Your reaction is a deliberate attempt to delay the proceedings of this transaction, which will not be accepted by us. (Mr. Jonathan Wilko)

My dear, I just went to the bank that would get your money. I was told that such remittance is not there !!!!!! Once again you have deceived me! Why did you do that to me! I've always been honest and sincere with you! I cry ........ Maria

Click here to support 419Eater.com
fashmo
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You could put the number here
http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis⊂=phonenr

More likely the number was a redirect number with a uk number which will redirect to the mobile and could be any where in the world
Like these
http://www.ttnc.co.uk/phone-numbers/01-and-02-numbers/
http://www.pickaweb.co.uk/020-london-numbers.htm

http://www.worldnumbers.com/
Quote:
Phone Numbers from over 4,000 locations in over 60 countries around the world and to redirect them to your office, home, mobile, email. The list is endless.

The correction regarding your gender is noted.
The word sir is an official rerm used as a mark of respect irrespective of sex

Send to me your private phone number so as to enable me talk to you earball to earbell

Easter Egg 2013United Kingdom x 2
Italy x 1 Wheel of Rome
Netherlands x 1
peltast
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks.
Dya Reyarunen-Downmeleg
Baiting Guru

Location: At the toilet door yelling are you almost done in there? Oops, too late...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm really sorry that happened to you, peltast. It would be great if you would head over to Scamwarners.com and post her details there. You could possibly save another person from falling for her scam.

Closed lad accounts x163 Easter Egg 2011 Easter Egg Easter Egg 2013 Goat Goat Goat Golden Goat Mc Fry Purple Flower Mortar Elite Ninja Team Member

so as to enable the conclusion of this transaction on your behalf since you are not dead because if you are dead you would not have write me because I know that never will a dead
write to living...
I could receive the document official which you want to forward me for adhesion with [email protected]
I am captivated, impressed and hypnotised with your sincerity
This you’re [email protected] has it existed some how somewhere before?
Your ASSCODE is: 999-035-2655

"I Am Not a Justin Beiber Fan" innocent.being

Steward, WTF?

SAY NO TO SCURVY
llort
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The number was spoofed, I do it all the time.

I can even bounce numbers off of other people's phone lines to make it look like a friend is calling.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic