SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Scam attatched to facebook group, what to do?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Rolf Harris
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been approached to join a facebook group through my catcher account.
Is there any way I should approach this?
Rolf Harris
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is the email " (unknown sender) "
"
facebook
1770 people like this

Check out Fitness Religion

Hi,

Fitness Religion is inviting you to join Facebook.

Once you join, you'll be able to connect with the Fitness Religion Page, along with people you care about and other things that interest you.

Thanks,
Fitness Religion

To sign up for Facebook, follow the link below:
http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=100000146718630&k=Z6E3Y5V6SY6OYADJPB63QUWST4BK6TYNUWIU1A4CQQ&r&oid=102221363179806
You are receiving this email from Fitness Religion. Fitness Religion has sent you this message through Facebook. If you no longer want to receive messages through Facebook, click here.
Facebook, Inc. P.O. Box 10005, Palo Alto, CA 94303

"
Is this likely to be a facebook group harvesting the guestbooks for "legitimate" purposes or a full on scam?
A fella at work was talking about his friend having her facebook account hacked and a call for help ($1000) put out to her friends by unknown persons. Is this likely to be something similar to her problem? If they ask you for a password then most people would use their facebook password for simplicity and leave themselves open to such attacks and hacking account hijacks I would think. If so at least 1770 people seem to be at risk here...

edit : I just noticed the post below about facebook applications and understand a bit better.
is it normally advised to try and shut down the application permanently or would some other action be advised?
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No clue if it could harm, but I normally refuse all facebook requests to my real account unless I know the sender very well.
Face book will use your name to send out requests to your friends in your name to join whatever they think could use a few clicks($$) Rolling Eyes
So I keep all facebook related sites blocked on my real account and all their email marked as spam.

My "play" accounts though are in for everything Twisted Evil
There are virus warnings and such on facebook, so make sure your gear is up to par before you start.

Have fun

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic