SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Gumtree scam busted

View next topic
View previous topic

mickrogers3
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dialogue in full with pics nicely formatted here:

THIS VERSION HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Much easier to read.

http://tinyurl.com/24cpjup

Otherwise if you're too lazy to leave this site, read on in plain text...

GumTree Advanced Fee Fraud

Teasing the Scammer!

This is a story about an advanced fee scam that someone tried to pull on me when I was selling my piano on www.gumtree.com.au. Hopefully awareness of how these go down can amuse some people, and also prevent it from tricking others!

THE BEGINNING:

Firstly I received an sms from +60122327278:

I want to know if your piano

on gumtree is still for sale as i

am intending to buy it right

away. Email me on glower.

[email protected] plz email

only.

At first I thought it might have been real, but the insistence on email only caused me to google gumtree scams and only after reading about these scams did i notice the phone number had the country code for Malaysia! A bit far to carry a piano. So instead of ignoring like I normally would, I decided to see how long I could lead them on before they got wise.

So here are the email messages that were sent back and forth between myself and ‘Jessica’. Note I called ‘her’ Jessica in the very first email despite her never having referred to herself as Jessica - I got the pseudonym from a forum of someone who’d been contacted by her previously about a bike for sale. I tried to put in as many hints as I could without losing her..

THE PROGRESSION OF EMAILS:

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Hi Jessica,

The piano is still for sale. Would you like to organize to come and have a look at it some time soon?

I can be available at most times.
Thanks,

Mick.

Jessica Glower to Me:

Hello,

Thanks for the swift reply, i want to know your asking price and i want you

to get back to me with more pictures because i am not available at the

moment, i will be using the piano in Malaysia.

The pick up of the piano will be handled through a

legitimate shipping agent that has their headquarter situated in

Malaysia. The piano will be picked up after you receive the full

payment, so i really need to know the mode of payment because i need

this piano urgently. Hope to read from you asap.

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Hi again Jessica,

Sorry i didn't reply sooner. You sound very interested. Will you be okay getting the piano to malaysia, it is very big and possibly expensive to ship?

I'm glad your shipping agent is legitimate.

So it sounds like you already decided to buy - are you sure you would not like to look at the piano first?

Thanks.

Mick

PS: What kind of pictures would you like to see?

Jessica Glower to Me:

yes send me more picture of it because i can be able to come over

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Hi Jessica,

>>yes send me more picture of it because i can be able to come over

Do you mean can or CAN'T? because i'm assuming it would be too far for you to come all the way from malaysia?

here are some more pictures:

Jessica Glower to Me:

yes i can,The piano will be picked up from you by a shipping agent right after you have confirmed the payment and received it

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

When are you flying to australia? Will it be soon?

Jessica Glower to Me:

i wont be coming to AU,it will be picked up by a shipping agent,plz read all my previous messages with care

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

sorry Jessica, it obviously must be hard for you because english is not your native language. you did say that you 'can be able to come over' which means you would come to australia. You must really have meant to say that you can't come over.

ok, so you are happy with the pictures?

Jessica Glower to Me:

yes i am okay with the picture.thanks

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

so have you decided to buy it for sure?

Jessica Glower to Me:

yes i love it and i want to buy it,it depends on you now to know if you want to sell it to me

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

for sure. the asking price is 3000 dollars. how will you pay and pick up?

Jessica Glower to Me:

Thanks a lot. I have read everything about the piano on the website and

everything is okay by me.

I have actually tried to get this piano here earlier from here but most

of the ones I got either have one huge mechanical fault while some are extremely

exorbitant.

As to the price, Price is Ok. So if you deem

the offer good enough, I will be very glad to make the payment asap

but i can only conclude this transaction only via paypal(www.paypal.com.au)

as I am currently offshore and I won't

definitely be able to make it to my bank to make bank wires across to you.

As to shipping, you need not worry yourself about how the piano will get

to me here in the Malaysia as I will contact a shipping company here who

will handle that.

Do get back to me asap with your PayPal Email address and Full name so

that I can remit the payment asap.

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Wow - i'm still very surprised you are so keen even though you have not seen it. thankyou!

I have a paypal email address, it is [email protected] and the full name is Michael James Rogers.

How much will the shipping cost do you think? It is a very heavy piano!

Jessica Glower to Me:

Hi,

I'm done. This is just to get you informed that i have finished

sending the payment through paypal and i know you should have received the confirmation messages

from paypal by now so make sure you check your inbox and junk message folder for the

confirmation email because i have received the receipt here and the money has been completely removed

from my paypal account. According to paypal's instructions, I have added extra

$1,399.00 AUD to take care of the shipping bills(had to do that because you are the one to pay the shipper since you are the seller and they are going to pick the item up from you), so email me immediately you receive the confirmation and kindly make sure you read thoroughly through the payment confirmation messages as they should

contain guidelines on how to clear your funds into your account immediately.

Thanks for the business and get back soon

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

hi, i got the receipts it all looks good.

what is the secret question and answer?

<< NOTE THESE ARE THE EMAILS I RECIEVED LOOKING LIKE THEY WERE FROM PAYPAL>>

see: text of these emails

Jessica Glower to Me:

i dont understand what you mean

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

in the guidelines to clear the funds it says i need to use the 'secret question and answer'.

Jessica Glower to Me:

ok kindly forward the email from paypal to me,so that i can read it and maybe help out

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

this is what is says:

This message is Originated from PayPal and we are here to inform you that $4,399.00 AUD has just been transferred to your account by Jessica Glower who happens to be a verified PayPal user.

A sum of $1,399.00 AUD was added for the shipping of the merchandise and it has also been deducted from the buyer's account but we will not CREDIT your account directly until you send out $1,399.00 AUD to the Drop Shipper's information we provided in our previous mail. This is to ensure safety between both parties as a very huge amount is about to be CREDITED into your account and we want to make sure the buyer is also safe in this transaction.

We want you to go ahead and send the money to the shipper's information in Malaysia through Western Union Money Transfer and get back to us with the 10 Digit MTCN code with the Secret Question and Answer and once this is confirmed, then your account will be fully CREDITED because the funds has already been deducted from the payer's account.

This action is not a request from our client but a security measure we are taking to ensure and protect both parties involved in this transaction. We hope you send any complain to us at out customer Department Service at: [email protected]

Jessica Glower to Me:

oh ok the email from paypal says that the total $4,399.00 AUD has left my account and cannot be reversed back into my account,it is now in paypal database system but cannot be released into your account until you pay for the shipper's fee which i have added to the piano money,paypal is doing this for security measures to safegaurd the buyer and the seller at the same time,you have to pay the $1,399.00 AUD because the shipper receive their money from the seller of the item and since you are the seller,so you have to send the $1,399.00 AUD to the shipper information via Western Union Money Transfer(their office located at any nearest post office) and get back to paypal via email with the mtcn(money transfer control number) that will be given to you after you have transfer the $1,399.00 AUD to the shipper at western union office,then paypal will verify the number and release the $4,399.00 AUD into your account immediately after,kindly do this now so that we can conclude the transaction.

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

can i pay the $1399 to you by paypal instead?

otherwise i'll have to wait until tomorrow, because the post office is closed.

Jessica Glower to Me:

you are not sending the money to me,you are sending it to the shipper because it is meant for the shipping fees,paypal should have giving you the shipper's information to send the money to,all you have to do is go directly to their office to send the total money,western union money transfer is located inside any nearest post office,you just have to go to western union office inside the post office and send the money to the shipper name and address by filling a transfer form and submitting the form with the money to the western union agent to process,and then you come back home and email paypal the proof of sending which is the 10 digit number MTCN which will be on the receipt from western union so that paypal can use the number to verify the transfer and release your total money into your account immediately after

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

ok. I will try at the post office tomorrow

Jessica Glower to Me:

ok kindly update me as soon as you have done as requested so that i can also confirm to the shipping company and to paypal also for speedy accreditation effects

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Hi Jessica,

Sorry - I had a very busy day at work today. The post office is closed now.

Is it alright if I do it tomorrow instead?

Mick.

P.S.: How long have you played piano for?

Jessica Glower to Me:

it is ok by me but kindly email paypal with the update,so that they will know why u couldnt complete the transaction today and when you could do it

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

thanks for understanding - very larcenous of you:)

I will email paypal.

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Hi Jessica,

I went to the post office today to do the Western Union Money Transfer.

But when I started to do it they said that the fee to transfer $1399 would be $80.

Given that you reassured me that you would take care of all the shipping costs I think it is only fair if you are to give me the $80 for the transfer fee - because it is to pay for your shipping.

You can transfer me in malaysian ringgit if you like, the amount would be 240MYR.

As soon as you can send me this amount I can go ahead with the Western Union Money Transfer. Let me know when you have done this.

Thanks,

Mick.

Jessica Glower to Me:

if you read the email from paypal carefully,you will see that paypal stated that they will be responsible for all the additional expenses spent during the course of the transfer,kindly go ahead and sent the shipping fee to the shipper now and email paypal with the transfer details and the western union charges so that it can be credited will all your money,you can also email paypal for more details regarding to this.

Thanks

Jessica

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Hi again Jessica,

Now that i have the read the paypal email very carefully I see that you are correct! Very pestilent of you to notice:) I have just been so excited, happy and full of gullibility about finally selling my piano that i did not see this part of the email!

I am glad paypal will take care of the fee.

I will go to the post office tomorrow to finally do the transfer!

Thanks,

Mick.

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Hi Jessica,

I just read the email again and i could not see where it says that "they will be responsible for all the additional expenses spent during the course of the transfer".

This is the text below, can you show where you think it says they will refund my $80 for the western union transfer?

I don't think they will - would you be able to send the $80?

thanks,

Mick

***PayPal Payment Notification For Merchandise Purchased***

[email protected] <[email protected]> Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Reply-To: [email protected]

To: [email protected]

Dear Michael James Rogers,

This message is Originated from PayPal and we are here to inform you that $4,399.00 AUD has just been transferred to your account by Jessica Glower who happens to be a verified PayPal user.

A sum of $1,399.00 AUD was added for the shipping of the merchandise and it has also been deducted from the buyer's account but we will not CREDIT your account directly until you send out $1,399.00 AUD to the Drop Shipper's information we provided in our previous mail. This is to ensure safety between both parties as a very huge amount is about to be CREDITED into your account and we want to make sure the buyer is also safe in this transaction.

We want you to go ahead and send the money to the shipper's information in Malaysia through Western Union Money Transfer and get back to us with the 10 Digit MTCN code with the Secret Question and Answer and once this is confirmed, then your account will be fully CREDITED because the funds has already been deducted from the payer's account.

This action is not a request from our client but a security measure we are taking to ensure and protect both parties involved in this transaction. We hope you send any complain to us at out customer Department Service at: [email protected]

PLEASE NOTE:

For a speedy service, this transaction has been immediately processed via our email payment service therefore any inquiries and all necessary information requested should be sent to us by directly replying to this payment notification message only. We strongly recommend this because the status of this transaction has not been passed on to our telephone customer service section so therefore all inquiries should be directed to this email address as it is the ONLY customer service department set for monitoring your transaction.

PayPal is sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

PayPal International.

This PayPal payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until we confirm that the shipping fees has been sent to the above address via Western Union Money Transfer. The above amount has been fully deducted from the buyer's account and the money is now in escrow with PayPal but we want you to send out $1,399.00 AUD which will be used by the shipping service agent for the pick-up of the Merchandise.

All you have to do is to reply directly to this mail with the Money Transfer Control Number( MTCN),Secret Questions and Answers used when sending the money. Once it has been verified and the details above sent to us, you will receive a "CONFIRMATION E-mail" from PayPal® Service informing you that your account has been credited with $4,399.00 AUD. Contact us directly at our customer Department Service at:[email protected] and our customer service care will attend to you. Please be aware that due to the thousands of transactions processed daily by PayPal, It is strictly requested that you contact us only through the customer care email provided above for faster response from us as we will not respond to phone calls unless otherwise advised by us.

**PLEASE NOTE**

Once the transfer information has been verified and the MTCN 10 Digit Code has been sent to us, You will receive a "CONFIRMATION Email" from PayPal informing you that the Money has been credited to your PayPal account.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Be aware that this payment will NOT appear on your PayPal account "HISTORY" until we have received and verified the MTCN for the shipper's fees as instructed above due to strict security measures.

Thank you for using PayPal!

The PayPal Team

——————————————————————————————————————————

Copyright 1999-2010 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United States as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.

PayPal Email ID PP753

Jessica Glower to Me:

ok kindly email paypal and explain the additional charges to them,plz do it now while i am still online

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

ok, good idea.

Mick Rogers to CustomDept: (‘Paypal’, ha ha, email is [email protected])

Hi,

I am emailing about Transaction ID: 62S8492898335130L.

There is an escrow setup and I need to do a Western Union Money Transfer of $1399 in order to free up $4399 sent to me by Jessica Glower via paypal.

Unfortunately at the post office they tell me there is an $80 fee to do the transfer. Jessica said paypal would take care of the fee but i could not see anything about this in the communications from paypal.

Can you tell me whether Jessica should send me this $80?

thanks,

Mick

‘Paypal’ to Me: [about 30 seconds after i sent the question!]

Thank you for contacting PayPal Customer Care Department. PayPal will be responsible for any additional charges incurred during the course of sending the shipping fee at the western union office,it will be credited together with all your total fund to be released into your account which will be readily available in your bank account.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this transaction may have caused you.

Duly at your service

PayPal Team.

Jessica Glower to Me (about 2 minutes after ‘paypal’ sent the reply):

hello,i am still waiting to hear back from you

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Hi Jessica,

I will let you know what paypal say in response to my question.

I am still waiting to hear back from them by email.

Thanks,

Mick

Jessica Glower to Me:

ok thanks

Jessica Glower to Me:

Hello,

I am still waiting to hear back from you,kindly let us conclude the transaction today.

Regards

Jessica

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Hi Jessica, am still waiting to hear back from paypal

oh wait - I just noticed there is an email from paypal in my gmail SPAM folder.

I find it crazy that the email from paypal would be filtered as spam!

It looks like they actually replied very quickly to say that they would take care of the $80 fee.

That is good. I will head to the post office in my afternoon break.

mick.

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Hi Jessica,

I went to the post office. The lady at the post office said i should be careful sending money overseas to malaysia if i do not know you. She said i should get some details from you.

She said i should get your home address, and some form of identity like a photo or passport. To make sure you are genuine, can you send me your address and a photo of you?

My home address is:

Mick Rogers

25 Nelson Street

Annandale

New South Wales 2038

Australia

and here is a photo of me in my office at work:

My passport number is M1972293.

thanks,

sorry for this, I just want to be sure you are a real person.

thankyou,

Mick.

‘Paypal’ to Me:

** Awaiting Shipping Fees Transfer Details Today**

We are awaiting the details for the transfer of the shipping fees of $1,399.00 AUD via Western Union Money Transfer today(6th Of November 2010) so that we can verify it and release your total amount of $4,399.00 AUD into your account immediately within 3hours after the details has been verified.

You will have your account credited immediately we receive the details for this payment and all your total funds after crediting into your account will be readily available for pick up in your Personal Account immediately.

Jessica Glower to Me [about 1 minute after the ‘Paypal’ email, what a coincidence]:

i think i am getting worried the way this transaction is going,what is happening? why would i need to scam or fraud you? i am an honest woman and a good mother and i have my own money,would not benefit from getting anything from you,anyways this are my details and photo:

Jessica Glower

NO 1-1, Jalan 5/76B

LRT station

Kuala Lumpur

Kindly make sure everything is done first thing in the morning,so that we can conclude this sale once and for all.

Thanks

Jessica

Mick Rogers to CustomDept: (‘Paypal’)

Dear Paypal,

Unfortunately it is saturday so I have no way of going to the post office until monday. (Post office opening hours are monday to friday, 9am to 5pm). Please extend the transaction deadline to monday as this is the earliest possible time i can do it.

thankyou,

Mick Rogers.

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Dear Jessica,

I do feel i should trust you because you are very friendly in all our emails, and not blunt and demanding at all Smile There is nothing suspicious at all, I just think it is best to be cautious when such HUGE sums of money are at stake.

This $3000 is a lot of money for me so I want to finish this sale too.

But, post office opening hours are monday to friday, 9am to 5pm, so it is out of my control. I have sent an email to Paypal to explain.

Now that I have your address and have seen your photo I can see you look like a trustworthy person. You are quite beautiful I say with all due respect!

I will do the transfer at my first chance on monday.

Thanks again for understanding!

Jessica Glower to Me

thanks for the comment ,i am flattered

‘Paypal’ to Me:

** Request Granted **

We are waiting for the transfer of the shipper's fee at the said time,kindly get back to us with the MTCN and the sender's full name as soon as the fund has been transferred,so that we can credit your account immediately with your total sum of $4,399.00 AUD.

Duly at your service

PayPal Team.

Jessica Glower to Me

Hello,

i will be waiting for you online tomorrow as soon as you have transfer the shipping fees.

Thanks

Mick Rogers to Jessica:

Dear Jessica,

I have completed the transfer. Please see the receipt from the post office attached. They scanned it for me.

I will await the code to release the paypal funds.

Many thanks,

Mick Rogers.

Mick Rogers to CustomDept: (‘Paypal’)

Dear Paypal.

See below and attached receipt.

thanks,

Mick Rogers

Jessica Glower to Me

this is fake,that destination on that receipt is india,what is fucking going on?

Mick Rogers to Jessica Glower

Dear Jessica,

That is hardly appropriate language for a lady don’t you agree?

Did you not receive the transfer I sent?

The post office assures me it was authentic.

The money has left my bank account.

Mick.
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nicely done. Smile I only read the text but will check out the link too.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
Rooted
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shame about that scan of the WU receipt because she was well and truly hooked until then and the fun was just starting.

Otherwise a great bait and a good read.

Just love:

Quote:
Now that i have the read the paypal email very carefully I see that you are correct! Very pestilent of you to notice:) I have just been so excited, happy and full of gullibility about finally selling my piano that i did not see this part of the email!

Welcome to Eater

Become a GOLD DIGGER

Closed lad accounts x18
Mortar x1

I thank you for your mail and wish to inform you that I mate with the lawyer this afternoon...

PAY YOUR BILL PAY YOUR BILL.OR STOP WASTING YOUR TIME. BARRISTER S ZUMA ESQ.

How will be asking all that question wasting my time that is precious....

... you are a joker a deciever and also a liar ...

New User's FAQ
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great read. That pic of her on the link looked like a very young Tammy Faye Baker before the ton of makeup!

Mortar x5
TV Star
.edu's 260 reported
Click here to support 419Eater.com
US Dropbox

"You people are all Junks" - Miss E. Kabx

"Maybe you are insane as your so called sat..." Barrister Insane

The website below is available for Eater folks to use.
Film & Production Needs

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic