SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Ghana's second-hand knicker ban

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
psychicbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

26 November 2010 Last updated at 12:32 GMT
Ghana bans second-hand knickers
According to the Ghana Standards Board, used pants - and other second-hand goods like handkerchiefs and mattresses - are unhygienic and could pose a health hazard.

The importation of these items was banned in 1994 but never implemented.

Some traders in a market in the capital, Accra, told the BBC they were unhappy the move might affect business.

The BBC's David Amanor in the city says there is a lot of consumer demand for second-hand clothing, often imported from Europe, as it is cheaper than locally produced items.

It is the same in many African countries.

Stained goods

"Ghana is a third world country; we've been doing this all along, so why are they talking about a ban now?" Millicent, a trader in Kantamanto Market in central Accra, told the BBC's Network Africa programme.

"The authorities should think again because our livelihoods are at stake."

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
I never fell sick because of used clothes”
End Quote
Doris

Kantamanto Market shopper
Cynthia, another market trader, defended the business.

"Second-hand underwear and other clothes we sell here at Kantamanto Market are better quality than new undies in the stores," she said.

She admitted that some of the imported underwear was stained but said customers rummage through the piles and inspect goods before buying.

"No matter how poor the person is, they will not chose stained ones and we throw them away," she said.

One trader insisted that all the goods she sold had been disinfected.

Our reporter says second-hand clothing is often referred to as "obroni wewu", which literally translates as "white man's deads".

Some customers also seemed dismayed by the news of the forthcoming ban, he says.

"I've been wearing 'obroni wewu' all my life from infancy - all the clothes you see on me today from up to down are 'obroni wewu' - and I never fell sick because of used clothes," says Doris, a shopper at Kantamanto Market.

The Ghana Standards Board has re-iterated that it is not all used clothes that are banned.

It says an education campaign is under way to ensure that dealers in second-hand comply with the law before the ban comes into effect.

More on This Story
Related storiesCountry profile: Ghana 26 NOVEMBER 2010, COUNTRY PROFILES
The clothes line 17 MARCH 2006, MAGAZINE
Used pants ban in Tanzania 23 OCTOBER 2003, AFRICA
Related Internet linksGhana Standards Board
Around the BBCWorld Service Africa BBC Africa podcasts Should Africa ban second-hand goods?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11845851

Sand Timer x 3
Thanks to the Fae!
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And the BBC considers that to be a story?

The quality of their reporting has descended to tabloid trash level.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
psychicbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There was also this:
Quote:

Shock in Ghana over gruesome death of 'witch'
There has been widespread shock in Ghana over the death of a 72-year-old woman accused of being a witch.

The woman, who lived in the port city of Tema, near Accra, was allegedly set on fire by a group of five adults, one of whom is believed to be a pastor.

The suspects say her death was an accident, and deny committing any crime.

The BBC's David Amanor in Accra says belief in witches is common among both educated and uneducated Ghanaians.

Three women and two men have been arrested, aged between 37 and 55.

Police say the suspects tortured the woman, Ama Hemmah, until she confessed to being a witch, before dousing her with kerosene and setting her on fire.

She died from her injuries the following day.

According to reports, the suspects say that they poured anointing oil on the woman which caught fire as they were trying to drive out an evil spirit.

Our correspondent says newspaper pictures showing the woman's injuries have caused revulsion in Ghana, and the incident has been condemned by human rights and women's activists.

Our correspondent says there have been other cases of violence against women accused of being witches, and a government-backed commission has urged religious and civil society groups to help tackle the problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11848536
Lachesis
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
The suspects say her death was an accident, and deny committing any crime.

The spontaneous combustion defense makes a glorious return. Laughing

Baiting/sitekilling numbers:

United Kingdom x 56 Ghana x 6 South Africa x 2 x 2 United States x 5 Malaysia x 8 Spain x 8 Ireland x 2 Canada x 3 Malta Australia Ivory Coast Nigeria x 2 Benin x 2 Cambodia Flag Indonesia Burkina Faso

Closed lad accounts x 21 Easter Egg 2011

Photo trophies x 2, Forms filled x 11, Baited domains x 9, Writing pieces x 2

"Ok i want to be addressed like felon Musa Songo." - Musa Songo
"This your transaction is giving me heart failure" - EFCC
"YOU ARE A BIG FOOL AND AN IDIOT. DO NOT EVER CONTACT ME AGAIN. YOU ANIMAL." - Kojo Smith
"STOP FOULING YOURSELF JOHN." - Rodney Lloyd
dwatina
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
"Second-hand underwear and other clothes we sell here at Kantamanto Market are better quality than new undies in the stores," she said.

I think I'd take my chances on lower quality un-used undies.

United Kingdom x3 Mc Fry Easter Egg 2011 Elite Ninja Team Member Sand Timer
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
x3 Safari : Femmy Bait w/Team Femmy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic