SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Possible Scam???

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
helpmeplease
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello...I came across this site while searching for a possible scam info.

My problem:

I have a boat for sale. A guy with an accent called to look at the boat today and drove here over an hour to look at it. I am in NJ. He called using a cell phone. He was very interested and is supposed to come back tomorrow for a test ride with his partner. He says he's going to ship it to South Africa and use it there as a work boat Confused There was no email correspondence and he was concerned about the price, trying to get me to lower my asking price- never offering more than I am asking. The whole thing sounds shady Shocked I know from a previous scam attempt that a certified check takes about 14 days to actually clear. I am really leery about any transaction, not to mention he knows where I live and the boat's location. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much Razz
leonsumbitches
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Since he knows your personal details, do not bait or otherwise antagonize him.

Have you googled around for his name, etc? Perhaps he is a known scammer.

If it is a scam, one thing to watch out for is the overfunded check. He'd give you a check for, say, $1,000 more than the amount of the boat, and ask you to refund the surplus. Then he disappears with the boat and the grand, and you're left in the shit with flash money which will disappear and cause the bank and police to come down on you.

Perhaps getting an escrow service involved would ease your doubts and make the deal secure. If he flinches at the idea, then it may be a sign he was planning on ripping you off.

GYV::Tanstaafl::Abiga::Game-theory::Church-Sites Easter Egg 2011
Closed lad accounts x 18 (10 from Tanstaafl baits) United Kingdom x 5 United States x 2 Ivory Coast Netherlands Malaysia Nigeria x 2 Spain
Safari SW Bait - Cl3tus Orof3 Accra->8auchi->Accra->Lagos, co-bait with Nowhere Man, Bravo, The Dane & psychicbait
insults and more
How to kill a Badger
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is a plus the person came to look at the vessel/boat in person.

I would have to know alot of details about the boat to go where I think he is going with regards to exporting the vessel/boat to South Africa.

The main thing is to avoid accepting any payment from credit/debit card or a check with an excess amount. If a check is presented for the correct amount, I would verify with the bank (make sure it is a U.S. bank for even better protection) that the check is good as well as verify the buyer is indeed the account holder. You have that right and should not fear exercising it.

I am not sure of your State's (assuming you're in the U.S.) laws regarding vessel/boat registration, but if the sale goes over in a positive light I woudl ensure the vessel/boat is registered in the buyer's name before it leaves the country.

You may also, for peace of mind choose to contact your local police to talk to someone regarding the situtation. They may be helpful as well.

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi helpmeplease

Quote:
He says he's going to ship it to South Africa and use it there as a work boat

Could the boat be used in that capacity? If its unlikely I'd say this is some sort of scam
Quote:
A guy with an accent called to look at the boat today and drove here over an hour to look at it.

I've never known a lad to view anything he's "buying" so thats a good pointer. However it doesn't mean you are not dealing with a local fraudster.
Quote:
he was concerned about the price, trying to get me to lower my asking price- never offering more than I am asking

Never known a lag to haggle either Rolling Eyes

You may take up leonsumbitches suggestion re the use of an escrow service- but beware because there are a lot of fake escrow websites out there. I have never used an escrow service ( unheard of here in the UK) but escrow.com are probably the largest legit escrow site out there.

If the guy comes back get his licence plate, if he wants to pay be check make sure you get it properly checked by your bank etc

Good luck

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
helpmeplease
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you all for the replies. The only concern I have is that the vessel would be shipped out of the country. Say he presented a cashiers check today, and wanted to take vessel within a few days, then I find out the check is not good and he has my boat- somewhere in South Africa!

However, I always try to err on the side of caution and if he comes back today, I will give him the third degree and get his license plate. I was also thinking along the lines as you guys here with the registration being in his name and a cleared check in my account for more than a few days. A few years back, I had a person send me a check for a jeep i had on a website, the check even fooled the back employees.

I do feel this situation is a little better as there was personal contact and not emails but you never know- I don't want to be the first victim of a brand new scam!

I will let you know the outcome later today!
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How about cash? Or a postal order? Or use your local high street lawyers as an escrow service? Or insist on taking photocopies of their driving license/passport with a recent utility bill to prove their address? etc...

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Provided you can verify that his money is good, the only other thing about it that bothers me is that one would expect it would be much cheaper to buy a boat in South Africa. Why buy it here and ship it?

You might want to look at listings for boat sales in South Africa and compare them to your asking price. If a similar craft is available there and the cost would be less, that's reason to suspect he is not being truthful.

Still, if he is being deceptive, whatever that signifies is beyond me to figure out. What illicit reason would someone have to lie about wanting to ship a boat overseas?

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>

"I swear with my living GOD I SERVE BY WHATEVER FIND HOLY ...THIS IS TRULY HOLY HAND JOB I WILL NOT DISAPPOINT YOU”
_______
Am surprise you are west-ting this much time and you know that your daughters life is astake ... I see it strange, something is fishing."
_______
"If You Are A Sinner That Means You Will Go To Hill. Repaint ..."
_______
"you son a beach , bastard , you will die by gun, ogun will kill you [a dozen death threats snipped] ANY PLANS YOU HAVE PLANNED EITHER TO RUB ME OR ANY OTHER THING , YOU WILL DIR BY OGUN BYE" -- One truly pissed off lad.
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lehigh Guy wrote:
Still, if he is being deceptive, whatever that signifies is beyond me to figure out. What illicit reason would someone have to lie about wanting to ship a boat overseas?

I guess it's what's stuffed inside the hull that makes it worthwhile?

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never had a scammer turn up to inspect the goods. Whenever I have advertised cars for sale, a sure sign of a scammer is that he is willing to buy the car without seeing even a photo of it. That and the Nigerian Ip adress, of course.

It would be very unusual for a scammer to show up in person, and he didn't need to tell you the boat was going abroad, however odd that may sound, he could have told you he was going to use it locally.

You do right to act with caution, though.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
the vampire
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with lehigh guy. What's so special about your boat that makes the buyer want to ship it all the way to South Africa? Ask lots of questions. Try to find the answers to all your questions, and use your common sense. It doesn't have to be a scammer.

I'm always right! - Branwen
GoatEaster Egg Penguin Pole Dancer Purple Flower Mc Fry
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe he is just saying he is shipping it to Africa to throw you off on his real motive to buy the boat.

Drug dealers are always on the lookout for older boats that would work to bring drugs in via water. Is it a boat that could be used for that and possibly not detected by the "drug hunters" with US Customs? Doesn't have to be the fastest boat like those cigar boats they used -- maybe something large enough that it might appear they are just out cruising on vacation or deep sea fishing.

Or possibly to smuggle illegals into the country or used in smuggling young girls in for sex trafficking.

My guess is that the boat is not going to be shipped to Africa.
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, export issues export issues.

If the vessel/boat is greater than $2000USD and being exported to any country (other than Canada) or to Canada then to another country, a Shipper's Export Document (SED) must be filed. This will be verified by U.S. Customs and be subject to inspection as well (so a little bird told me Wink ). What they do with it after it is theirs and exported is of their concern and their concern alone.

If you, personally, do not wish to sell it to this person, based on your own perceptions, you are entitled not to sell it to them. There are no restrictions on who you do business with. If it will ease your mind that it will not be used for nefarious purposes by not selling it to him then don't.

Additionally, I would like to say no delivery until the check clears in my book. Especially if it is high value! If he doesn't like that business practice, again, tell him to get lost.

Remember you are the seller, the only one you have to please is yourself on the transaction.

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally, whenever I'm selling anything to a stranger, I take cash only.

YOU GO SLEEP YOU NO GO WAKE UP AGAIN
SEE YOU ASS IN HELL fucking tax payer ..
REJOICE IN HELL - Jack L1n (Mr.)
Enough fooling around with yourself. Your parents and family are Fucking scammer!
You are a white baboon,that doesn't even take
shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
I NEVER SEE ANIMAL LIKE YOU. Your papa be castrated so he no make more like you!
Easter Egg 2012 - Robert Miller, philanthropist Closed lad accounts
"I am okay but had a little fracture on our last operation." - Capt. Highliner
Morgain Le Fay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is your boat a registered US Vessel?

If so there will be some paperwork involving contacting the Coast Guard and having that registration removed from your boat.

I was involved in a boat purchase which involved registering the boat. There was a bit of paperwork involved with the Coast Guard.

If the boat is a US registered vessel and you are selling it you need to get the registration out of your name.

And take CASH.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic