SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Amazingly professional "Work at Home" scam

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chammgoop
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This one is well done.
Some sites run popup ads that open one site that looks VERY much like a legit local news site. And they have a "story" about a successful work at home mom. And gee, they just happen to have a link to let you sign up as well!

SCAM SITE NewsDaily7.com
(I don't think there are any nasties on that site, but still be careful.)

The site uses your IP to give a local town name so it sounds like your home town's local news. It has local weather reports. It has pre-astroturfed fake comments from "readers" talking about how the work-at-home program works, with a nice variety of attitudes and slight skepticism but also with lots of validation.

The very bottom of the site says in (literally) small print that this is "for illustrative purposes only."

Every link on the page takes you to a typical multi-level-marketing scam site... the product doesn't matter.. it's probably Herbalife, but that's just a guess. But they make their money from endless signup fees, "material costs", etc. This one (currently) points to "underground cash machine" (safe link about scam reports about them) , and they say they'll charge you $3, but it's really $141 plus $40 a month.

This fake news site tactic was successful, and it took a minute for me to realize that it was fake. Since it was on a DELAY popup, I was even away from my computer when it came up, and I really DID think "wow, the TV news bought this scam and did a story!" Imagine how easy it would be to bite someone like your mom.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic