SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Older letters with grammar issues?

View next topic
View previous topic

sedition
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Folks,

I'm very new to this forum although I've been aware of Scam Baiting for a few years now.

I teach ESL writing in Asia and a primary part of my work is providing students with editing opportunities.

As you might imagine, this is somewhat difficult as its hard to find a cache of business letters with heaps of problematic grammar and structure errors in them.

A couple of years ago, I started collecting Spam / Scam letters from Nigeria to use them as source material for my students to edit and correct.

Many of these mailers had terrible grammar but could all be broken down into very useful 'teachable' areas for students.

Spelling
Verb Tense
Comma Splicing
etc...

The problem is, most of the newer Scam / Spam letters that I've been getting in the last year or so are very well written.

They have almost no grammar problems at all.

I have one question and one request:

#1 Does anyone have a theory about how and why these letters / emails have improved so much? Do you imagine that there are more organized 'editing centers' that are being manned by university educated business writing experts. Whats the deal?

#2 Can anyone point me to a supply or archive of older letters / emails that have more grammar mistakes in them? I need new supplies of editing material for my writing students and frankly, the new stuff that I get sent is just........too well written.

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give me.

Cheers
irishemigrant
I Told You So

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I suggest reading the Surplus forum in here.

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

I know some of the ones I post have all the usual scammer mistakes that you mention, and from the ones I've seen from other posts in there, the quality has never risen very high.

There is also Scamwarners for a collection of scam scripts.

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
sedition
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks very much.

This is perfect.

I also just want to send out my compliments to the active the Scam-Baiters on this site.

You are the unsung heroes of the internet and many of you are pure artists.

Very Happy

Good on ya! Very Happy
ChoppaOfDolla
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

sedition wrote:

#1 Does anyone have a theory about how and why these letters / emails have improved so much? Do you imagine that there are more organized 'editing centers' that are being manned by university educated business writing experts. Whats the deal?

Scammers often get ahold of each other's scam email letters. They might be recognizing which ones are better written and using them.

A lot of scammers have a "script" of well-written emails, which they've paid another scammer to write for them, or sometimes stolen them. When we bait them, we aim to get them off-script and force them to use their own English skills, which are often a lot worse than the scripts.

u got 12 hours to send the money remember no game u fuck face

If you like you can send $1 Billion to any person. But I want to tell you that I did not get even $1 from you.

Closed lad accounts x2
foo
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Natural selection applied to formats? Makes sense, I guess.

Looking through my catcher account, overall it looks like the romance scammers tend to have more wrong English, as opposed to the more awkward but technically valid writing of most of the others. Their opening formats tend to be shorter, though, so probably less useful for this.

There are always exceptions though:
Quote:
I have presently deposited a Cheque in the sum of 5,800,000.00 British Pound with DHL express to deliver to you, what you have to do now is to contact the My Attorney as soon as possible so that he can go the delivery company to know when they will deliver your package to you because of the expiring date.

Unopenable image file | mtcntool | IBMP

"Having acknowledge your email with the content well noted and understood,see we have had enough off this shit from you." --Lamido Sanusi
"i want to scam you ! please understand . i am scamer !" --a scamer
"shit happens. but there's always a silver lining" --Slightly
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A lot of university students have a nice little sideline going, producing or editing formats for less educated lads.

This goes for spoken English too. I've had many phone conversations over the years, where I start off with someone who has a very broad African accent. If I complain in my emails that I couldn't understand what they was saying, they amazingly turn into Noel Coward the next time they phone and say they had a bad cold when we last spoke. Laughing

Lads are nothing if not adaptable and resourceful. Wink

"No amount of semen donation will save this situation" Sanny Sanny
"We must disagree to agree" Raji Musa

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
sedition
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Are there any articles that anyone can recommend that describes the exact 'system' being used and exactly what the 'math' is when it comes to these scams. I mean, has anyone figured out how much money is being generated by suckering the poor souls who get taken in?

Clearly it must be enough to fuel this global phenomenon.

I've received enough of these mails over the years to understand the format but what I don't really understand is the system in place that is generating all of this titanic flow of spam/scam.

For example:

Is it all being run by organized crime in Lagos or someplace or is it run by enterprising individuals who run their own micro-business-fraud-factories themselves? Or, perhaps a combination.

I'm very curious about the level of sophistication of some of these -what I assume to be- spam/scam factories.

Any article recommendation or links would be swell.

Thanks in advance.
ChoppaOfDolla
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ The amount of money lost to scammers is now somewhere between 5 and 10 billion US dollars.

There are around 1 million or so scammers in operation around the world by now. Some of them operate alone, and some work in very organised criminal gangs.

What often happens is a boss, or "oga" pays other scammers to work for him. The low-ranking "smol bois" have the job of collecting email addresses and sending out the initial scam emails. When the replies come in, they are passed on to higher ranking "guymen" who take over the actual scamming. The higher-ranking members are usually more experienced and have better English skills.

As you can see, it can be a very sophisticated operation.

If 10 billion dollars are being lost to 1 million scammers each year, that translates to an average of 10 000 dollars each, but that is very skewed towards a small number of professional scammers making serious money while most of the smaller operations occasionally get a few hundred dollars here or there.

A well-organised gang can make millions of dollars every year (and most are involved in other criminal activities as well). Lone operations are often happy with a few hundred dollars a month, but that is considered to be very good money compared to most of their countrymen.

u got 12 hours to send the money remember no game u fuck face

If you like you can send $1 Billion to any person. But I want to tell you that I did not get even $1 from you.

Closed lad accounts x2
ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's one your students should enjoy. The punctuations errors alone are a joy to behold.

Quote:

Good Day My Dear Deliberated Associate

"I am a British Citizen reside in the United Kingdom, I travels across Europe on a regular bases due to the nature of my job, What I am about to disclose to you is highly confidential and I trust that you will not betray the confidence I am reposing on you, In carrying out my duties as external investment manager, I handle all our investors Direct Capital Funds and was able to confidentially extract 1.2% from all Investment Returns Earned from several investors on the underlying assets over a period of 3years.

From this expertise arithmetic, I am able to accumulate the sum ?18.800.00. (Eighteen Million Eight Hundred Thousand British Pounds) from the investor's EMCRP. The company annual report has been duly concluded and dividends declared while clients are much happier with the annual returns than the previous years under review.

He is honest about one thing:

Quote:
successful bank directors and stock brokers all over the world has participated in one time or the other in this deduction racket and are still on it today"

YOU GO SLEEP YOU NO GO WAKE UP AGAIN
SEE YOU ASS IN HELL fucking tax payer ..
REJOICE IN HELL - Jack L1n (Mr.)
Enough fooling around with yourself. Your parents and family are Fucking scammer!
You are a white baboon,that doesn't even take
shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
I NEVER SEE ANIMAL LIKE YOU. Your papa be castrated so he no make more like you!
Easter Egg 2012 - Robert Miller, philanthropist Closed lad accounts
"I am okay but had a little fracture on our last operation." - Capt. Highliner
Rooted
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is one some way into the bait. This lad has a good grasp of english but the further off script we get the more trouble he has. I don't know where he got the 'calvary greetings' from but I like it.

Quote:
Dear xxxxx,
Calvary greeting,How have you being,sorry i have not been able to reply your mail, i was very busy throughout last week,How is your evangelical work going,
Am very happen to know that you are still interested in our business deal,may i remind you that you need to keep this deal confidential.
I have contacted a lawyer that will take care of all the legal aspect of the deal but we need to pay him an advance payment for him to be able to start working.
He charged $100,000.00 for the job,we pay 30% during the transaction and the remaining 70% when the fund have been transfered to your account.
I also engaged the services of an old colleague of mine,a chartered account that will assist us.
I will need you confirmation to procede.right now we need to mobilise the lawyer his name is Ethan Hughes with $ 5,000.00 for him to be able to take off.i will need you to raise half of the legal fee while i bring the remaining half.
Please may i remind you that you need to keep this our deal confidential.
Your Brother
xxxxx

Become a GOLD DIGGER

Closed lad accounts x18
Mortar x1

I thank you for your mail and wish to inform you that I mate with the lawyer this afternoon...

PAY YOUR BILL PAY YOUR BILL.OR STOP WASTING YOUR TIME. BARRISTER S ZUMA ESQ.

How will be asking all that question wasting my time that is precious....

... you are a joker a deciever and also a liar ...

New User's FAQ

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic