SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Is scambaiting illegal?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Dr Mike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd be happy to. I could use some more baiting. I just keep 2-3 going at the same time but i could do a lot more. You seem to have a baiting style that is really wild and crazy and i think i could benefit from working with you. I'm more of a strait baiter and i usually take it very slow.

Just pm me and we can work it out.

SafariX 24 Random safaris
SafariX 12 Welcome to Sweden
SafariX 9 Chadian minister of tourism project
SafariX 9 Rame Head pilgrimage
Golden Pith Rame Head 2013
Globe Globe of Gluttony
Golden Pith CBC Documentary Safari
Bart Fargo
Corporate Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bart's 2 cents (pennies) here:

Scambaiting not illegal, we've already pointed that out.

Morally wrong? NO!!!! I think it would be the opposite, illegal to not bait these dregs of the human race. Just read up on the people they have scammed. And they only do it for their own greed. Not to "help" anoyne but themselves. Not only do we need to waste the time of these people but also educate the population about scammers so that they don't fall victim to this. Fewer scam victims=fewer scammers. Granted they may go find something else illegal to do, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Plus it's also a hell of a lot of FUN to f**k with their minds, that's the best part for me is the fun factor!!

Bait safe and welcome aboard. (Bart climbs off his soapbox)

jose_cuervo
Baiting Guru

Location: Packing Vaseline in my frilly boots, I can’t help if it gets in other places.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

grimbleton wrote:
here's an interesting twist on this. how about requiring the lad to make a verifiable donation to a legitimate charity?

say, for example, $20 to the red cross or something like that?

Why waste countless hours trying to convince a lad to send $20 to a charity, when you could get him to spend hundreds for a plane/bus/taxi ride, new cell phones and/or sim cards, cafe time, possible bribes paid at border crossings, meals, hotels etc. and then leave him stranded in a foreign country, penniless and alone, with far less time and effort on your part?

You would then receive a Safari for the safari and numerous emails from the lad expressing his anguish, fear, stress and anger (in great detail). If played correctly, after the safari is over, you can then blame the entire debacle on your lad's incompetence and possibly make him apologize for screwing up. Wink

“I guess a man is the only kind of varmint sets his own trap, baits it, and then steps in it.” ~ John Steinbeck
callum
Director of Press Relations

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DontFearTheReaper wrote:
you're just doing to them as they are to you
I've yet to see Spot naked and standing on his head in a hole in ground while Juan slaps him with a cream cheese covered trout. But then again I missed the last eater BBQ.

x 2 teeny part of a large effort Mortar x29 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x5
Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009
dwatina
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To the OP: It's not the same.

For example: Those scammers contact innocent people (and our catcher accounts), but they contacted us. We didn't contact them. We are not the ones offering millions of dollars to someone if they pay $500 (or thousands) to get it. And we are not ripping people off.

I do see the question you were asking and I admit I at one time wondered about it. But I'm dealing with some of these lads and I can tell you one thing: They will lie to you and stab you in the back.

I have a few close friends who know I bait, and they ask about the legality of it. But they are more concerned with me getting in trouble doing it. They could care less about the morality. They figure the lads are getting what they deserve.

So long as everyone abides by the rules, there is really no issue so far as legality. If some jerk wants to try to rip me off, I can do whatever I want to mess with him (within the rules).

If someone is gonna offer a non-existent $25 million if I send him a "processing fee" then I figure I can make him jump through hoops to get my non-existent payment.

{Edit to add: To the OP--it was a good question and I hope you can see our side of it.}

United Kingdom x3 Mc Fry Easter Egg 2011 Elite Ninja Team Member Sand Timer
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
x3 Safari : Femmy Bait w/Team Femmy
lakeside77
A chaff in the USA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bankster wrote:
^^ If I may add to the above, in many countries it's a law or common practice not to prosecute you if the 'public interest' in a prosecution doesn't justify the effort.
In other words, even if a baiting-related activity is technically slightly illegal, the authorities are free to (and often will) sweep minor offences under the rug.

A few years ago I wandered into a forum that had a discussion thread related to 419 and scambaiting. An assistant prosecutor from Pennsylvania posted that yes, taking a scammer's cash was illegal but in his jurisdiction the scammer would have to come in and file a complaint before he could consider prosecution. Zero chance of that happening. Another poster commented that he would probably find it difficult to seat a jury.

The largest "haul" that I know of from a cash bait was $100, but $5 is more typical. No prosecutor or police department is going to try to track down and bring in a baiter for a $5 con.

As posted before, cash baiting is illegal and wrong but nobody is going to do time for it. For me, it's "two wrongs don't make a right."

Closed lad accounts x26 Easter Egg 2012 United KingdomNigeria x3 Thailand x2 Guinea BissauBeninGermanyNetherlands
Sand Timer Father Frank

I must let you know that am sick and tired of all this whole bull sheet do you know my ass is on the line - Jonh Raymund

i want to say i am very sorry for the Mother that gave Barth to you -- Jim Ovie

. . . it is disrespectful,malicious, an ILEDAN EYE,to our corporation and embarrassing to my secretary as he was messed up by your action. I thought I was assisting a true American gentleman without knowing that I am trying to help one of the most chaffs in the USA. --Dr. Leo Stan Ekeh

. . . I hate you with all my Live, you may not understand the Laval of hatred I have in you -- Dr. Lambert
ChoppaOfDolla
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SlapHappy wrote:
Every art bait here I have seen is legal. The lad signs an agreement form before any art is sent. Sample art must be accepted as up to the standards of the buyer or whoever. If it doesn't meet the requirements as determined by the buyer, it is rejected, and no payment will be sent to the lad.

I'm not so sure that would stand up in court; as the baiter was clearly deceiving the lad and had no intention of paying money under any circumstances, he might still be liable due to misrepresentation (simply signing an agreement doesn't automatically make it legally valid).

That said, the chances of it ever reaching a court are effectively zero.

u got 12 hours to send the money remember no game u fuck face

If you like you can send $1 Billion to any person. But I want to tell you that I did not get even $1 from you.

Closed lad accounts x2
1337 Ba1t0r
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Choppaofdolla wrote:
The cops aren't interested in prosecuting baiters.

Unfortunately most of them aren't interested in prosecuting scammers either Crying or Very sad
ChoppaOfDolla
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ That's true, for a lot of reasons. There's very little chance of success, the jurisdiction of the crime is hazy, and there's virtually no chance of recovering the money.

u got 12 hours to send the money remember no game u fuck face

If you like you can send $1 Billion to any person. But I want to tell you that I did not get even $1 from you.

Closed lad accounts x2
rocknrollnobody
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I bait lads simply to waste their time. No other moral or ethical reasons affect my decisions to do this.

The more time they spend walking backwards and forwards to the WU office, the less time they have to scam vunerable people out of their life savings.

[Free portrait of you with sexy goats!]

"WESTERN UNIN SAY IT FAKE AND YOU LIE. THEY LAUGH AND I FEEL FOOL. I WAIT FOR 5 HOUR TO GET WESTERN OFFICE AND YOU TRICK ME. I AM HIGH RESPECTED BANK OFFICIAL AND YOU TRICK ME WITH LIES AND FAKERY" - C0llin Sh1elds (a high respected bank official, apparently)
"I hope this is not another game as i do not have time for such games as i mean business here. I would not want to commence on a never ending journey or an uncompleted project with an unserious man." - Barrister Joseph Goldsmith doesn't want a never-ending project. Shame...
grimbleton
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Badgerbait wrote:
Two wrongs do not make a right, ever.

but 3 lefts do! Very Happy

Badgerbait wrote:
Asking for a donation to a legitimate charitable organization would be nice but it is still illegal and now you have involved an Innocent Third Party.

damned semantics. always screwing up my fun!

Badgerbait wrote:
I am sure they do not want ill gotten gains.

point well made. however, i know there are a lot of GOOD charities out there that ... naw... you made too good a point. can't argue with it.

Badgerbait wrote:
Artifacts and documents sent by scammers are not bringing anyone to the darkside. they are trophies and do not equate to cash baiting. Most of the things they send are of no monetary value.

what about ... but if... the... damn. you're no fun anymore. you never take me anywhere. why don't you tell me that i'm PRETTY sometimes? you never kiss me with your eyes OPEN you bastard! i'm going home to mother!

Badgerbait wrote:
Please review the ethics thread.

i did. but i never recalled seeing anything addressing the potential of my hypothetical. meh. live and learn.

Badgerbait wrote:
Thank you.

au contraire mon frere!

cheers

grimbleton

Last edited by grimbleton on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black Dog
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam baiting is far from illegal.

I have been a bit quiet lately while working with a "60 Minutes style show" in Australia for a few months doing a big story on scam baiting and my scam baiting work has been seen by all sorts of legal people along the way and all it has gotten is laughs from them all.

There is nothing more satisfying than hearing lad pain from a scammer on safari or any other activity we set them onto

In a world full of injustice, if we as baiters are the only ones capable of dishing out a little justice to these lads then there is not a legal person or lad hugger anywhere who should object to what we do

Happy Baitin'

SafariVcameraTattooTattoo Lagos > Accra - Smith "i have to sell my shoe"
SafariTattoo Lagos > Accra - Stanley "I SLEPT IN THE CAR AND WAS BITES BY SO MUCH MOSQUETO AND I AM NOW FILLING SICK"
SafariSafari Accra > Lagos - Dr Omo "have not eaten and bath even my tooth is dirty"

Random lad pain:
Safari X14 more & TattooGoatSand Timer

Team Mr Bigg's
foo
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

grimbleton wrote:
but 3 lefts do! Very Happy

Only if they're all right angles or otherwise add up to 270°.

Quote:
you never kiss me with your eyes OPEN you bastard!

Because as far as I know human eyes are actually incapable of focusing on anything that close. Wink

Badgerbait wrote:
Please review the ethics thread.

There's just one? Wink

Alright. Now that I'm done making fun of you guys: I'll just quote the same line I always do in ethics threads.
NickTheCop wrote:
If bullshitting people on the internet was a crime, then we'd all need to be in hiding.

As long as we don't do this for personal gain, I don't see why it would break any laws. We're not stealing from them, we're not physically harming them. All we're doing is wasting their time and making it harder for them to break other laws.

Unopenable image file | mtcntool | IBMP

"Having acknowledge your email with the content well noted and understood,see we have had enough off this shit from you." --Lamido Sanusi
"i want to scam you ! please understand . i am scamer !" --a scamer
"shit happens. but there's always a silver lining" --Slightly
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Grimbleton,
Ethics are not to be made fun of.

That vast majority of baiters here would be in agreeance. They are things, like lads, we wrestle with daily. I can promise you that every baiter here has had some temptation given to him or her by an incredibly stupid lad or run out of technique to frustrate lads. That is why we have these threads pop up so often. They allow individuals to dialouge with fellow baiters, sort of a "opinion gathering and how can I correct my train of thought to do the right thing by all parties involved while causing the most pain to lads" rap session.

For reference, the ITP doctrine is not semantic.

edit: I stand corrected by foo, there are MANY ethics threads Very Happy

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with sending lads to inconvenient locations, like Timbucktu, that are filled with troops with guns, lousy bug-infested hotels, 120F degree temperatures, and unfamiliar foods.

I see nothing wrong with it in the least. It's not as though they're being carried there in a state of bondage. They go willingly in pursuit of criminal activity, so if they get shot, beaten or starved in that pursuit, tough luck for them.

It would be as though I were attempting to snatch someone's purse and she pushed me and I fell down a hill and broke my leg. Tough luck for me too.

YOU GO SLEEP YOU NO GO WAKE UP AGAIN
SEE YOU ASS IN HELL fucking tax payer ..
REJOICE IN HELL - Jack L1n (Mr.)
Enough fooling around with yourself. Your parents and family are Fucking scammer!
You are a white baboon,that doesn't even take
shower.
-Miss Gbagbo, Christian.
I NEVER SEE ANIMAL LIKE YOU. Your papa be castrated so he no make more like you!
Easter Egg 2012 - Robert Miller, philanthropist Closed lad accounts
"I am okay but had a little fracture on our last operation." - Capt. Highliner
BobCarlson
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think there's anything immoral about baiting as long as you don't cash bait or get innocent third parties involved. Most of us bait like that so most baiters , I think , are quite ethical.
Dr. Ivor Bollockov
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my post, that really wasn't my intention!

It's just that if you've been here for a while, this ethics question rears it's ugly head on a regular basis.

The search function on the 'eater works very well, I just wish that new visitors here would use it.

Once again, apologies and welcome to 419eater.

USEMA PANTE

please it is clear that the system does not understand me so try and call me.
I am waiting for your call or i will conclude that you are not competent.

JOHNSON NYERERE - Safari from Johannesburg to Durban and back ending with

x9 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts x lost count!
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bart Fargo wrote:
Plus it's also a hell of a lot of FUN to f**k with their minds, that's the best part for me is the fun factor!!

a good mind-fuck is a terrible thing to waste. Twisted Evil

cheers

grimbleton

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Badgerbait wrote:
Ethics are not to be made fun of.

should they be respected and followed? certainly! but should they be made fun of? certainly. (everything should be good for a laugh. especially when it's a good, sensible point.)

Badgerbait wrote:
That vast majority of baiters here would be in agreeance.

as am i.

Badgerbait wrote:
They are things, like lads, we wrestle with daily.

wrestling with moral/ethical issues is precisely one of those things that makes us "human". Smile

Badgerbait wrote:
... how can I correct my train of thought to do the right thing by all parties involved while causing the most pain to lads ...

and that, "my most estemed friend in allah's name" is what it's all about. not just doing what is right, but in doing the right thing.

Badgerbait wrote:
ITP doctrine is not semantic.

i was being silly. i guess i failed in that attempt. oh well. so many messages and so little time.

cheers

grimbleton[/u]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic