SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

children dying whilst playing

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
psychicbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://english.aljazeera.net//news/africa/2010/06/201064182049228431.html

Apparently the children, victims of lead poinsoning, were in the habit of playing in the lead contaminated waters used to refine the gold.

More from the beeb here

Sand Timer x 3
Thanks to the Fae!
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Children are most at risk and a tragedy is that their mental development will be permanently affected. Having had elevated lead levels I know first hand what it does. A heavy metal overburden makes a makes a child or older person very lethargic and susceptible to dying from dysentery or malaria. Litharge is lead oxide PbO and litharge of gold is litharge mixed with red lead Pb3O4. I think that is where the word lethargic originates from. When entire villages have no children it would be safe to say that it was in the water.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
PsycheDelia_Smith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I worked with lead-based solder all day every day for several years, and experienced lethargy and a general feeling of being out of sorts which persisted for years afterwards. I never made the connection at the time.

Poor kids.

"I am now completely twatted and shagged and will obey all your instructions to the fullest."-"Tosser" Oguguo

Golden Pith "Frankily speaking,I wouldn't want to travel to the far east again."-Edward Smith, Lagos-Singapore (14600 miles round trip via Dubai)

9x Safari 4 x Lagos-Accra , 3x Port Harcourt - Ibadan, 1x Lagos-Singapore, 1x Burkina-Bamako
Netherlands Nigeria Ghana South Africa
Sand Timer'Ed', 3 yrs 8 mnths Sand Timer'Oguguo',6 years and 4 months
psychicbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting posts, and you´ve reminded me of a friend of mine, a talented potter, who had to stop this activity which was their love and livelihood because of lead poisoning from the glazing.

Here´s the beeb´s update on the matter.

Sand Timer x 3
Thanks to the Fae!
psychicbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

necro or update?
My bolding.

27 August 2010 Last updated at 16:47 GMT
'Dozens of children die' in Nigerian lead poisoning
Doctors said when the poisoning was discovered that the situation would get worse As many as 30 children have died of lead poisoning in northern Nigeria over the past week, authorities believe.

Scores of people - mostly children - have already died this year in Zamfara state, poisoned by lead-contaminated waste from illegal gold mining.

The latest deaths occurred in a remote village near the town of Anka.

But officials have not been able to confirm the reports because rainy-season downpours have prevented them from getting to the area.

Lead poisoning has killed at least 160 since June, when visiting doctors realised children in the region were dying in unusually large numbers.

Investigating scientists traced the source of the poisoning to soil contaminated with lead which had been dumped in water sources by miners.

Slow death

For weeks in June teams worked to try to decontaminate a number of villages, by scraping away topsoil.

LEAD POISONING

Children suffer more because their size makes them more vulnerable to the effects
Symptoms include lethargy, abdominal pain, vomiting, constipation and headaches
Children in particular may develop encephalopathy - seizures, delirium and coma
For mild poisoning it may be sufficient to remove the patient from the source
More severe poisoning will need medical treatment, but may prove fatal
But experts at the time said that many more children would be affected by the slow-acting poison.

There are fears that the rains may have washed the poison back into wells and other water sources.

In their attempts to extract gold, deadly amounts of lead were released - it is thought that soil containing lead deposits was dumped in water sources and in places where children played.

The deaths were discovered during the country's annual immunisation programme, when officials realised that in several villages there were virtually no children.

Villagers said the children had died of malaria and it was only when a team from international aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres took blood tests from local people that the high concentrations of lead were discovered.

Zamfara State had recently employed a Chinese company to mine gold in the area, adds our correspondent.

But villagers had also attempted to capitalise by digging for the precious metal themselves - an illegal activity in Nigeria.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11111799

Sand Timer x 3
Thanks to the Fae!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic