SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Have you ever heard about software development scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Rocker
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm currently negotiating software development project (Excel VBA) with a company I found on net. Their replies just seem fishy. First they couldn't understand me (it's possible but replies seemed too retarded) then they said although understanding is not quite there they are sure they can give me what I want and offered to pay a deposit for every hour of their review work, which i will be able to get back if after review they decide my project cannot be completed.

Please PM me for actual quotes and web address. I don't want to publicly defame them when I'm not sure.

Any help is appreciated.
evil_sheep
Compulsive Self Abuser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You aren't defaming people by asking other to check them out.
Post up their mails and web address and we can check them out.

Then again, if you think it's a scam, it probably is.

"I thank you for your quick massage this morning. " - Prince Abdul Hakeem
"u lied. i know u as black man" - Timothy Fred
"Get out. If you mail me again, i will destroy your mailbox." - Clydesdale Bank PLC.
"picece of shit gett off here junkie" "arse hole like u" "u r a bullshit around the corner" "fuck off and die" "is that how you write ur father?" "do u need some crack from Brazil?" "please leave me alone" - Dr. Mohamed Gaza

FREE BEER!

"Baiting is like sex. If it does go pear-shaped, pull out, get a new email address and try again from a different angle." - Me
Rocker
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok here goes

http://www.excel-modeling.com/index.htm

http://www.excel-business-solutions.com

I send them Excel doc as sample, they still asked for samples and claimed my doc contains different info

"Also, the spreadsheet sample you sent seems displaying different criteria
than the ones you describe above. What is the purpose of showing us that
file
?" Don't know why but style of this phrase seem to me awfuly like those in scam letters.

informed me about their qualifications

"If you could, please provide numeric example using your made-up sample data. Personally, I have a MBA in Finance and Investment, so your numeric example + the explanation you already provided will help a lot."

still failed to understand anything so

"Hi Alex,

I am confused too. It seems like you have more things going on the doc and spreadsheet then what you have described in the email. Does my numerical examples make sense to you?

We are almost certain that we can fulfill your requests (once we understand what your need is), but there are just too many things to be reviewed at one time. And the fact that we cannot get our thought across to each other is taking most of the times. Without a commitment, we are not sure if the time invested in this review is worth for us.

Could we do this? We charge you by the hourly rate on this project. Our rate is $75 per hour. You make a retainer of $300 now. This will be good for 4 hours. Once we have your retainer, we then resume our review on your project. As the project is progressing, we may ask you to deposit more money when the 4 hours are exhausted. If after the review, we find that your project cannot be completed, you may get your money back. If your project is completed partially (example, for criteria one), then you will only be charged for the time that is spent on the partial work.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks."
Malcolm
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not going to say whether or not this company is a scam. It looks questionable.

If you do decide to hire a company to do some coding work, make sure you use some kind of protected form of money transfer such as PayPal. You *can* have credit card PayPal charges reversed if the work isn't completed.
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Must be talking about MSN Laughing

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
Rocker
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The more I look at those mails the more I think it's scam. Shouldn't have given asshole personal info
Whitetail
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The wording of the letter, appears to be of the linguistics
used by "barristers" and "couriers". The expression "retainer",
recalls those of "demurrage", and the semi-cultured English
lads use to come off as those they impersonate.

(Formatting used on purpose)

Also, for someone who claims to be a pro at what they do, first they do not have an idea of what the #@*&! they're doing. Also, grammar.

No brick and mortar address? Scam, scam, scam all the way.
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have had a quick look at excel-modeling.com. Their website registration dates from 2004. The other website dates from 2005. Both registrations match the companies claimed location. Tends to make me think "legit"

The registrant Anthony Sun also owns another 36 domains which may be a little unusual. However its not impossible.

Best suggestion is that you post the headers from the mails you received so we can have a better look.

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Philo Kvetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rocker wrote:
Ok here goes

http://www.excel-business-solutions.com

They are registered corporations in New York with the same address.

I can't post the actual link as it will blow out...

Go here:

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/corps/bus_entity_search.html

and search for

Excel Business Solutions

Looks legit to me.

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Bart Fargo
Corporate Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I googled the street address of this page, including a street view. It comes up as a residential neighborhood. So I would be a bit iffy myself.

Whitetail
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ask them how they'd like to be paid. If they raise the Western Onion or MoneyFlam flag, there's your lad. Once they feel the money is coming in, they won't care what BS you feed them.
revtedbundy
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Malcolm wrote:
I'm not going to say whether or not this company is a scam. It looks questionable.

If you do decide to hire a company to do some coding work, make sure you use some kind of protected form of money transfer such as PayPal. You *can* have credit card PayPal charges reversed if the work isn't completed.

If paypal told me today was Friday, I would look at a calendar

Don't depend on Paypal for a refund of anything
partysan
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
maybe you did correspond with an employee who did not quite understand the specifications / special needs of your project.
But when I had a look on the page http://www.excel-business-solutions.com I can not imagine how a company running a website of that complexity and specific knowledge should be considered as scam.

I see there a page http://www.excel-business-solutions.com/representative_clients.htm -
I guess that you could get answers from some of the mentionend clients about how satisfied they have been with the result of the work of excel-business-solutions.
A more accurate answer than you will get from me after a look over their pages and on whois.

add: Here at Eater we are confronted mostly with poor wordet emails from fake bankers barristers and the like asking for a phantasy-fee for a fantasy-deal, paid via western-onion, to be cashed mostly in w-africa. Or correspondences where the 2nd mail is -- I loveyou, send me monnie.
This is simple a other league.

Rocker wrote:
Quote:
"Also, the spreadsheet sample you sent seems displaying different criteria than the ones you describe above. What is the purpose of showing us that file?

" Don't know why but style of this phrase seem to me awfuly like those in scam letters.

I don't understand why style of this phrase seems to you awfuly like those in scam letters. I understand that for this man your sample and your description of that sample is not detailled enough to give a quick answer: Yes we can do it for $... . Or maybe your demands are complicated.
I think more / or better explaination of your project is asked. Then you will get a more precise answer. Good luck.
Philo Kvetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know what's so hard to get here.

The companies are legit.

The syntax issue is due to the fact these guys are Chinese.....

"Anthony Sun"

They have registered corporations in NY and long time web presence.....

Registered corporate addressed at a home is NOT unusual - especially if you work out of your home.

As the consumer YOU have to perform due diligence. Have you asked them for their CV's? How about references?

Questioning their authenticity in this forum without conducting you own background is kind of lame.

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Whitetail
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The company may be legit, but the person he's speaking with it just an impersonator?
TheFae
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree that the long registration period lends me to believe that it's legit company. The fax phone no. on the website does resolve to NY City, BUT the contact phone no. on the registration (whois) resolves to Auburn, WA. That may not mean anything one way or the other. The residential setting doesn't bother me, as many programmers, etc. run their businesses from home. I conclude legit with possibly a language barrier, and would contact previous clients. I also agree to ask about the method of payment.

I Googled this phrase, "we offer companies data cleansing, data integration, data enrichment and data mining services in support of accurate reporting, analysis and business decisions" and may have found a faker:

http://m2-business-solutions.com/home.html

In this case, one year registration, a free hosted site, and no contact info other than a gmail addy. I'll drop by later to see if there are any new developments, but for now I'm off to the Fake Sites forum and for some research on these m2 people. Confused

GO GOLD! **CLICKY**
"This is really bad"
"my account has been disable and can not sell anymore and this is all i live on"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic