SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

eBay Scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
atomic_bong
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So I recently put my computer up for sale on ebay, my asking price was 800. No international shipping, so I recieve an email from a guy in South Africa, he agreed to send me a check, with an excess of money for shipping, and when I recieve the check, I will cash it, and I suppose to make things easier he had already set up preperations with a 3rd party shipping company to come to my house, pick up the computer and ship it AFTER I have paid them with the excess from the check... only problem is the guy sent an excess of 2700$ I asked him before I got the check how much excess he would send, and thats what he said, but I thought it may have been a typo and he meant 270, which sounds about right for shipment... But it was no mistake, he sent me a 3500$ check, 800 + 2700.

Its all very strange to me because ive been in contact with this guy for a little while now reguarding this, it originally took a week to get the check sent, but im figuring if its a scam, hes gonna have me cash the check, it will bounce, ill have shipped the computer, and itd be too late...

Obviously i'm not stupid so ive come here asking for help... Were aware this could be a scam, or a very stupid, AND OR GENEROUS person... However, we are going to go to the bank today to try and verify the check...

ON THE CHANCE IT IS A SCAM... How can I cause hardship to this scammer with the methods he has been using on me?
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Firstly, if you want to bait, drop him. Entirely. He has too much real life information about you. I am glad you found our site, however. It is a scam. Read the stickies if you are interested in baiting. Pick up a mentor.

One of the first steps, for you, is to drop him altogether. You keep his email addy, perhaps put it in our surplus (with headers, etc.) for us to play with, or get a clean gmail (or other IP masking email addy not connected with your real details, see the stickies) and proceed to thank him for his offer and the price for insert item here, not necessarily a computer stands firm. He likely will not know what he made an offer on nor will he care. He will offer to do the same thing again.

How is he sending the check? Express delivery? Postal mail?

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

The Monsignor
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome! Undoubtedly a scam. Don't try to cash the cheque. Report him to eBay Safety Centre. Don't bait him yourself, as he knows your true identity. You could post his details here for another Baiter to take him on.

If you want to become involved in scambaiting, suggest you sign up here for a Mentor.

Good Luck!
Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi atomic_bong, and welcome to Eater.

Yes, as has already been said, it is a scam, and you are correct in thinking that the check is fraudulent - so do not attempt to deposit it in your bank!

You can read more about this type of scam at our sister site, ScamWarners:

Auctions and Online Selling Scams

Check Scams

If you need any further help or advice, the support team at ScamWarners will be happy to assist you. You can also post details of this scammer there, to warn other people about him.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
Philo Kvetch
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As noted above - bait safe.

I love Ebay and Craiglist scammers. The pith in my sig come from one who tried to scam a neighbor of mine.

I don't bother with the piths anymore but continue to cause these scammers lots of grief.

Go get 'em!

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Seamless
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi atomic_bong
Welcome to 419 eater

Quote:
How can I cause hardship to this scammer with the methods he has been using on me?

Take a look around Eater University. Read the Stickys. Sign up for the Critically Acclaimed Cherrie Mentor Program.
'Bait Safely' and most of all have Fun!!

"You are a destinated Idiot. a fibol element, a rebel against humanity.

You are a goat. And very stupid. I will deal with you very soon, just wait, I have all your contact address, and I will trace you very soon, for insulting me, all evidence of your insult to me has been filed.

Lawyer M4nu3l told me that you could be one of this terrorist in the usa. and I later find out on my research on you, that you are one of the bastards in wherever you are. not even in usa."

Closed lad accounts

Safari< S4NI S4LISU Ghana to Togo
Safari< St3lla J0nta Cote d'Ivoire to Ghana
Easter Egg Whip Penguin Mortar Purple Flower Purple Flower Killer Baiter
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic