SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

A PC problem - Advice Welcomed

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Dionysius
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A 4 year old Packard Bell which I named after my cat, has decided to misbehave. As regulars here will remember, I'm a computer pillock. Idiot proof instructions are too complicated for me. So if you bear that in mind with any possible advice it would be helpful. And no, I do not want to go on safari to the miracle PC fixing camp.

My computer restarts itself intermitantly. Regardless of what is being done on it. It could be 2 minutes or 30 it freezes for a second or two and will restart itself just like the restart buttun has been pressed.

When it is started or restarted as above the switch on beep sometimes lasts for more than a second or two and the fan is working, but nothing shows up on the screen. Not the welcome screen, nothing. It's like the lights are on but nobody is home if you know what I mean.

Any guesses as to the problem, solutions and probable expenses would be welcome.

Also, if anyone knows of a self build PC website for the true PC prat (i.e. me), I'd be grateful as well.

Cheers all

RIP - Lad vampire and muguito were the gifts that kept on leeching. Greatly missed.

Information about Scams and their effects with great trophies - http://www.scam-info-links.info/ from Scam Patroller - http://www.romancescambaiter.com/ from wayne
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First thing I'd check would be the temperature.
Is it running hot?
Check inside to make sure that everything's not clogged up with dust.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ One beep for about a second?

Lol... From my crocked memory one beep is a memory problem. I tap my noggin which sometimes helps. Wink

Try taking the memory out and re-seating it. I always advise taking a vacuum and soft brush to a wayward pc before you do anything. Dust is the cause of most non hardware problems.

Re: building your own. I'd advise finding a good independent and getting them to do it for you. I built one years ago and it's a hassle. Fun, but a hassle. Wink You crack a processor, it's over before it starts. Shocked

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
luckey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

windypops wrote:
I always advise taking a vacuum and soft brush to a wayward pc before you do anything.

I do the same thing with my car. If it makes an expensive sounding noise, I vacuum out the inside.

I should probably add: that strategy has yet to allow me to avoid the mechanic, but I live in hope.

maninblack
419Eater is my life

Location: Reality, But it's an illusion caused by lack of alcohol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Check that the processor fan is not clogged with dust and is indeed spinning, also remove memory, clean contacts and replace. Same with video card. I have had all these cause your problem.
MIB

The Indecisive (Erraticus maninblackicum): Lad who puts differing answers down for the same questions on seperate attempts at getting their MTCN on MTCN V@ult

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>

Well i just want to know if it is Sandra my girlfriend that you are having sex with now , How can you collect my money and also fucking my girlfriend what the hell on this earth have i done to you that make you to be treating me this way, No one as ever make me shed tears long time ago but you are making me to do it now what have i done to you.

Last edited by maninblack on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like you are getting a "beep code" from your BIOS (POST).

Looks like the codes depend on what version of BIOS your Motherboard is running.

First, lets find out what version your BIOS is. Start the computer and as it boots up start tapping F1. See if it enters the BIOS (It will probably be a crappy looking screen with a bunch of options). Look at the top for the version of your BIOS. If F1 does not get you in, restart and try F2, and then DEL. Those are the three listed keys to get into your BIOS for a Packard Bell.

Code:
Packard Bell®       F1, F2, Del

Once you write down the version, get out!! You can really bork things up by messing around in there. There should be an option to "Exit BIOS" (or something similar).

Once you have the version of the BIOS, reboot and Google Packard Bell+BIOS+(your version)+beep codes.

You should find something like this...but the codes will vary, depending on what version you are running.

Edit: Here is a link to most beep codes you may encounter.

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Motherboard/BIOSbeep.shtml

Code:
Packard Bell - AMI BIOS Beep Codes

Note - The AMI BIOS beep codes are a series of evenly spaced beeps, not a pattern of long and short beeps as in Phoenix BIOS beep codes.
Beeps   Error Message   Description
1   Refresh Failure   The memory refresh circuitry on the motherboard is faulty.
2   Parity Error   Parity error in the first 64 KB of memory.
3   Base 64K Memory Failure   Memory failure in the first 64 KB.
4   Timer not Operational   Memory failure in the first 64 KB of memory, or Timer 1 on the motherboard is not functioning.
5   Processor Error   The CPU on the motherboard generated an error.
6   8042 - Gate A20 Failure   The keyboard controller may be bad. The BIOS cannot switch to protected mode.
7   Processor Exception Interrupt Error   The CPU generated an exception interrupt.
8   Display Memory Read/Write Error   The system video adapter is either missing, or its memory is faulty. This is not a fatal error.
9   ROM Checksum Error   The ROM checksum value does not match the value encoded in the BIOS.
10   CMOS Shutdown Register Read/Write Error   The shutdown register for CMOS RAM failed.
11   Cache Error/External Cache Bad   The external cache is faulty.   

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I always advise taking a vacuum and soft brush to a wayward pc before you do anything.

Works on wayward husbands too.

Stop typing in french, am seriously dissapointed....am just confused!!!
You will have my nuts in your hands as soon as i have the latrine in my hand & i will pay the goats to the lawyer
My dear with this only, it is clear you have contacted and communicated with Africa Fraudsters and even send funds to him. what a pity!
YOU ARE A WITCH. MAY YOU MENSURATE NON STOP TILL THE END OF YOUR LIFE
Golden PithSafari Mortar Tattoo Vcamera Closed lad accountsSand Timer Team Hector:Lagos-Douala,Benin-Liberia,Senegal-Gambia-Mali-Chad, Egypt ,Awka w/ Shorty
Sand Timer Sand Timer Shorty Safari Abidjan w/ Juan
Safari Bibian
Closed lad accounts Cellphone pony Mc Fry Mc Fry Easter Egg 2013
Donate to Eater
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You called your cat 'packard bell'?

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Temperature - carefully remove any dust with a vacuum, check the cooling fins twice,
- or -
Power supply - many people (including most PC outlets) spend a fortune on the latest CPU, cool graphics card, fast RAM, ... to eventually power it all by the cheapest and crappiest power supply they can find,
- or -
RAM - if there are two RAM thinggies inside, try removing one and, if the problem persists, swap it with the other one.

If it's a temperature problem, try getting into the BIOS (see PF's post) and see where there's any menu item saying "PC health" or something similar. Maybe it displays the temperatures and corresponding thresholds there. Temperature problems often occur more frequent once the PC has been running for a while.

The easiest way to check whether the power supply is faulty is to replace it. I can elaborate on that upon request.

Whenever you're handling your computer's innards, avoid static electricity. In a non-professional environment, this means:
Touch the bare metal of something connected to ground (e.g. radiator), avoid any plastics inside the PC that don't belong there (e.g. toothbrush), and when you remove a part preferably place it on the metal bottom of the PC case or similar.
The trouble with static electricity is that it can either destroy something right away, or damage it just enough to introduce another intermittent problem that never occurs when you're looking for the cause.

Elite Ninja Team Member Easter Egg 2012 Goat Golden Goat Purple Flower Penguin
(United States United Kingdom Benin China Nigeria) x10 __ x?
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Worked for me...

@ iMike, no, he named his PC 'Tiddles'!

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So your dog's called packard bell then?

I did manage to fry a couple of pc's 'BA' (Before Apple). Same thing both times - dust clogging the CPU fan. Also had a power supply go bad which resulted in the computer randomly shutting down.

Edited 'cos I can't read properly

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Although at 4 yrs old, you may find you get a lot more computer for your dollar if you choose to replace it!

If you get a vacuum cleaner inside there, *KEEP IT AWAY* from the fans, unless you specifically block the fan with a pencil or something. The airflow from the vaccum can spin the fan creating back-EMF which the boards in the box are not expecting to protect against.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When you open the pc do some of the capicotors look like the two at the bottom - yours might be blue Laughing but it sounds more like a case of swollen capictors.

This time of year in the uk heat would shut a pc down, mines running warm, but it wouldnt give a ominous beep code. Even dirty connectors in the ram wont give the motherboard beep code. (memory will give 2 sharp beeps)

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Fowan Nyne
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

manbiteslion wrote:

If you get a vacuum cleaner inside there, *KEEP IT AWAY* from the fans, unless you specifically block the fan with a pencil or something. The airflow from the vaccum can spin the fan creating back-EMF which the boards in the box are not expecting to protect against.

Done it.
Did it.
New Motherboard!
If that's the right term..
Thankfully my mate has a shop and he knows what he's talking about. Keeps rolling his eyes and sighing at me!

"Note I am very weak by straight"
"Did you want to cheat me or play on my intelligent?"
"All necessary preparation for the movement of the stool are in the pipe line" - Stan "the man" Agbley

Click here to see a proper scam

foo
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Seriously? There aren't any diodes in there?

Also, apparently one beep is a motherboard problem assuming that information isn't ancient (it probably is - I saw a couple references to SIMMs while looking for that).

I'm going to guess overheating as well. If it still happens after you've cleaned out the dust, try starting it up with the case open* and see if all the fans are spinning up.

* Yes, it's safe to do this - just like starting a car with the hood open, as long as you don't go sticking your fingers in things you'll be fine.

Unopenable image file | mtcntool | IBMP

"Having acknowledge your email with the content well noted and understood,see we have had enough off this shit from you." --Lamido Sanusi
"i want to scam you ! please understand . i am scamer !" --a scamer
"shit happens. but there's always a silver lining" --Slightly
TheFae
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know anything about errant beeps and such, but I DO know what static electricity from vacuuming will do. Mad My dog sheds her thick undercoat twice a year, so we're always battling fluff, and of course it heads right for the fans. I fried a perfectly good motherboard some years ago in my quest to dislodge said fluff. Evil or Very Mad I needed a new computer anyway (it was pretty old, but still worked well), but I felt no joy in the purchase 'cause I'd borked it up in the first place. Sad

Good luck sorting your troubles out, Dio.

@D11, swollen capacitors? Oh my. Embarassed Shocked

GO GOLD! **CLICKY**
"This is really bad"
"my account has been disable and can not sell anymore and this is all i live on"
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tried turning it off and on again? Very Happy

I remembered a dead internal CMOS battery can cause weird problems at start up. They last about four years. Try inserting a new one, CR32 I think.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sometimes the easiest and most obvious approaches get buried under all the sophisticated trickery.

Free comprehensive memory test:
http://www.memtest86.com/

Download ISO image, burn to CD, boot from CD, watch status screen for a few hours.

music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^
Good advice Bankster, but you are dealing with Dionysius here and I quote
Quote:
I'm a computer pillock. Idiot proof instructions are too complicated for me.

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good point.

Dionysius, if you like I can offer to burn a CD on your computer via some kind of remote support thinggie.

Dionysius
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the offer Bankster, but how would I do that?

As for naming the computer, no her name wasn't Packard Bell and the dog's name was Gemma. I won't say the cat's name because I use it as the basis for my passwords. It's the only way I remember them.

RIP - Lad vampire and muguito were the gifts that kept on leeching. Greatly missed.

Information about Scams and their effects with great trophies - http://www.scam-info-links.info/ from Scam Patroller - http://www.romancescambaiter.com/ from wayne
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

music man wrote:
Good advice Bankster, but you are dealing with Dionysius here and I quote
Quote:
I'm a computer pillock. Idiot proof instructions are too complicated for me.

Dang, I advise you to buy a new magic box, with the internets installed. Very Happy

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I need a portable magic box too, my Sony Vaio has been refusing to charge the battery. A replacement was no good at all, and now the original has reached 0% I'm getting a 'this is the wrong battery, please hibernate and change it' on top of anything I try and run.

Pressing Ok shuts it down, I just cant get it to run on the mains. SNAFU Sad

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Removing the battery altogether normally helps.

@Dionysius, I'd connect to your computer (with your permission) so that I can see your screen and move your mouse around, and download&burn the CD for you. There a various programs that allow you to do this. I have UltraVNC and DeskShare at my disposal, and Windows has some built-in "remote assistance" thinggie.

Do you know how to burn an ISO file to CD?

Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I know I'm going to catch heat for saying this, but four years is about the life of an average PC. I mean the life where you are not continuously fixing and replacing parts. I have gotten six years with no problems for my last high end PC. Hard drive took a dump along with both optical drives which were replaced free. I misses an new video card by three weeks.

I would just buy a new PC or at the very least take it into the shop and let the pros see if it can be fixed.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic