SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Legit Part Time Job or Scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

jbabb
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi guys - I'm new here, but found out about this forum as I have recently made a contact whilst searching for a part-time job and am not sure if it is a scam or not, but am really getting lots of red flags about it. I need some help to determine if its a scam or if it is real.

I was searching for part-time jobs in my area as I am going back to school. I found an ad on craigslist (which has been removed recently) and responded to it. It is basically a guy who is looking for someone to clean his family's home, get groceries, and run errands while he is working a contract job. The job pays $420/wk (seemed a bit much). After about 3 days, I received this response (word for word):

Subject: WORKING ANALYSIS AND FILL THE FORM

Hello,

I have gone through your response. I am glad to tell you that everything is okay with me with your resume/interest as regards the Cleaner/House-help job position, also for accepting the offer. I have contacted my wife concerning the job and for other purpose which she might need you for, which she told me is okay by her, i believe you are fit for this position in as much you will prove yourself a reliable, good & honest person.

I'm XXXX and My wife's name is XXXX, she's 5 months pregnant and this is her first baby. We are relocating to the City from Scotland, I will be coming there to work on contract basis with United States Environmental Protection Agency on a private research work So i need someone who could help me take care of house by doing some house work while am off to work. Someone that will also help in running some errands. I will be offering you $420 weekly, i will be needing your services for three hours at any suitable time of yours, Mondays through Fridays.

I believe you are fit for this position in as much you will prove yourself to be a reliable and good person, We have a financier that is based in the states and he will be handling the payment and some other expenses, so he will be the one that will be taking care of your payment, I will instruct him to pay for the first weeks before my arrival so as to secure your service, actually i should have paid for more weeks but i will extend the payment if am satisfy with your service after the first week.

My financier will be making out a check payment to you before my arrival, you will be receiving a check out which you will deduct your pay for the first week and you will be using the remaining to buy foodstuffs and other things needed in the Apartment , you will be getting this foodstuff on the day of our arrival which is June 28Th 2010. Actually all flights from Scotland arrives at nights so you will be getting the foodstuff in the morning and making all other preparations. I will also instruct my estate agent to mail the keys of the apartment to you so you can do all other necessary preparations concerning the general cleaning of the Apartment before we arrive, I will also email you the shopping list. You have to get all this shopping before our arrival so that we won't have to start running around when we arrive, So my financier would be

Needing the following Information to make out the check

Full Name to be on Check:....................
Address:................................................(NOT P.O BOX)
City:.........................................................
State:.......................................................
Zip Code:.....................................................
Phone(Both Home and Cell):......................
Did you accept my offer ?

All i need from you is total honesty and sincerity. I know you will be committed to the work, You will also have a nice period of working with my wife.

I will be waiting to hear from you.

Thanks,
XXXX.

I responded with the basic info and told him that I would accept the job. I didnt hear from the guy again for another week until tonight when I got this:

Subject: AN UPDATE

Hello,

How are you doing today? I hope all is fine. I'm very sorry for my late response. I wish to let you know that my financier will be mailing out the check to you by Next week Monday and get delivered to you lately by Wednesday. I will also be sending you further instructions with the list of foodstuffs and other things that will be needed in the Apartment so you can get them purchased.

Once the payment have been issued out to you i will email you to get you notified with the address of the apartment you will be cleaning. Mind you, i want to let you know that the estate agent will mail you the keys of the apartment you will be cleaning. However, once you have received a check payment that will cover the Grocery shopping and your first week pay for the cleaning service make sure you take proper arrangement on how you will complete the Grocery shopping. And make sure your first week payment is deducted from the Amount on the check you will received. Also, i want you to get the apartment cleaned as if you are the owner.

Thank you so much and i want to let you know that your trust will highly be needed in this Job.

Best Regards,
XXXX.

I'm not sure if this is legit, but I am leaning towards "NO" for alot of reasons. It just seems a bit too good to be true and alot of the grammar seems...off. The guy never uses my name and it seems like the responses are going out like on a mailing list. He hasnt asked me for anything like social security number, bank account, or even for money, etc. Could any of you experts out there please help me with this. Has anyone else seen anything relatively close to it?

Thanks in advance!
jbabb
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

sumbitch, I just read through the forums and found one of these SCAMS exactly like my whole ordeal! Someone please explain this one to me. The only info I gave the guy was Name, Phone, Address - Am I in any real trouble having given such info to these morons? Help?
Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
My financier will be making out a check payment to you before my arrival, you will be receiving a check out which you will deduct your pay for the first week and you will be using the remaining to buy foodstuffs and other things needed in the Apartment.

Yes it is a scam. The check will be fraudulent. The grocery shopping is probably a red herring, and you will be also be expected to purchase 'other things' (and, for some excuse, ship them to him or to an associate of his) and possibly forward some money to someone (the estate agent, a cleaning service, the airline for tickets, or just some excess money back to the financier). Even if the check appears to clear at first, when it is discovered as fraudulent, the amount it covered will be deducted from your bank account, and therefore those purchases (and any forwarded money) will end up coming out of your own money.

It is a variation of a check scam, which you can read more about here:

Check Scams

@jbabb - If you gave your details to a similar scammer, he might send you a check. Do not attempt to cash it. Take it to the bank or to your local police, along with a copy of the scammer's emails, and report that you have received this from a scammer. Please drop all contact with the scammer, and do not reply to his emails nor speak to him on the telephone again.

If you need any further advice, or would like to warn other people about this scam, please visit our sister site ScamWarners: Click here

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
jbabb
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I told him that I would not be able to accept his offer. My only real concern is that he may be able to work with my information that he already received (name, phone, address) and somehow weasel into identity theft or something along those lines. I have received no calls from him or anything like that - just these two emails.

The sender is [email protected]

Yeah, I figured if I got a check that it would just go into the trash. Any further advice? Thanks for the help so far!!

- jb -
Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is very unlikely that the scammer will do anything with the information that you have provided. He will have sent out dozens or maybe hundreds of these emails, and other people will also have initially responded like yourself, before realising that it is a scam. They too will have provided their names and addresses and phone numbers. The scammer isn't interested in those, though. He is interested in finding someone who will receive his checks, and then send him or his associates goods or money.

He might, however, try sending another scam to your email address: maybe another job offer, or maybe a completely different type of scam. So keep an eye out for those in the months to come.

It is your first time to use western union so therefore none can blame you. It is always like this at the first experience. - Yes lad, and at the second, and the third... you'll see.

I don't want to guess the number - But, lad, isn't that the best fun to be had with MoneyGram reference numbers?
jbabb
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

much appreciated! Thank you!
jbabb
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

got this email about an hour ago - - what steps should I take from here?

Dear,

How are you doing today? Hope all is fine, I want to use this opportunity to inform you that my financier will be mailing out the check payment to you by next week Monday. finally it will get delivered to your door step by Wednesday. Once you received the check, firstly deduct your first week payment which is $420 then the rest of the fund which supposed to be budget for the Foodstuffs and other things that will be needed in the Apartment should be pending for now. The reason for this is that we are still going to balance our Traveling Agent in order to accomplished all necessary documents that are need to back up our traveling down to the United State.

Having deducted $420 your own charges for the first week for the Cleaning Service, then you will send the rest of the fund to the traveling agent via western union transfer Agent around you. I hope you have a Western Union agent close to you where you can execute the Western Union Transfer to the Traveling Agent so She can be able to Ship us all the Documents that will back up our Traveling from Scotland to United State. If you can be able to complete this assignment for me and my wife i will compensation you an extra amount of $100 for rendering your Assistant for me and my wife. I should have the the fund across to the traveling agent myself but i run out fund here.

I hope i can count on you with this and i would be looking forward to see you on our arrival . I hope when my wife arrived she would be in good hands.

Thank you and God bless I will send you the tracking number of the payment package which would contain the payments as soon as the check payment have been sent to you and payment will deliver to you next week.

Finally, do not forget that our arrival date is 28TH of this Month and as you can see is already knocked at the door. Please get back to me once you received this message.

Thanks and God bless you.

Best Regards,
Smith Baker.

Dear GOD the grammer of this email makes my eyes bleed and there is so much left out (like my NAME in the salutation!). Would anyone like to help me nail this guy or take this over?
Branwen
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Firstly: this Lad has your real-life details, including your postal address. Therefore, do not bait him. Drop him.

Write back to him once more, and tell him firmly but very briefly, 'Do not send me the check. I do not want this job.' And then do not write to him again. Ignore any further correspondence from him.

If you would like someone else to bait him, you can post his initial email, plus the headers, in the Surplus forum.

maninblack
419Eater is my life

Location: Reality, But it's an illusion caused by lack of alcohol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
then you will send the rest of the fund to the traveling agent via western union

Theres your answer FRAUD Very Happy
Check will be fraudulent and by the time the bank realise (this can take weeks) your money will be long gone, Drop all contact with this scammer now and ignore all emails, they will soon move on to pastures new.

The Indecisive (Erraticus maninblackicum): Lad who puts differing answers down for the same questions on seperate attempts at getting their MTCN on MTCN [email protected]

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>

Well i just want to know if it is Sandra my girlfriend that you are having sex with now , How can you collect my money and also fucking my girlfriend what the hell on this earth have i done to you that make you to be treating me this way, No one as ever make me shed tears long time ago but you are making me to do it now what have i done to you.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic