SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Why Nigeria

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
felixq78
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't get it. Why is Nigeria the one country to try on all these scams? It's as if it's their national pass time or sport. There must be some cultural or legislative reason why they think they can get away with these scams.
seanb
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

it's not really, it's just the term people have adopted because nigeria was first associated with the advanced fee scams.

My favorite baits right now are in Ghana, and the other is masking his IP, so i'm not really sure. He appears to be in the US, but i doubt it.
Bait It Up
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would say the majority of scams definitely originate from Nigeria (usually Lagos), but it is not always the case. I've gotten them from many African countries (Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Senegal, The Gambia, Kenya, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, etc.) There's also scams from China, Russia, India, etc. They are all over, but if I had to place a bet on where my next scam is coming from, I'm letting it ride on Nigeria.

"17,000, usd is a chicken penny so fuck you off."

"Please don't write me anylonger because there's no reason for any more communication since you have messed everything up and i cannot continue to waste my time wtih a BASTARD like you. If you hadn't foolishly exposed your plan to that fellow fool of yours this problems wouldn't have arised so who are to blame I or You?"

"This is the reason why I get angry over you and call you names because you always peace me off.You will never listen to simple instruction"

Closed lad accounts X18 Easter Egg
Baitsamurai
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Every nation needs their thing.

swiss watches, german cars, british food, nigerian scam

Laughing

"u dis fucking ingrate, *DELETED*!"
"YOU ARE VERY VERY STPEID MAN FUK YOU WITH YOUR MONEY"
"you are a thief i know you ....fbi is coming for you"
"YOU WILL RUST IN HELL YOU BASTERD"
"I don't mean no disrespect but i don't like that word cunning,I mean this is a charity work for Christ's sake"
Easter Egg 2011 Closed lad accounts x84 x124 Mortar United KingdomGermanyUnited States
Safari C0nv0y/P4tr1ck Co-Bait with Boris_YELLsome: Lagos-Abuja-Lagos-Cotonou

Don't ever worry about seeming stupid. We're baiters. We do a lot of silly things in our baits. (Ima Baeder)
wowwow
Elite Baiter

Location: Here is the picture of the cash in the boxes before we send it down to the company to deposited it

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There is also nothing wrong with British food, and German cars are pretty good. Like most things, it's a stereotype. 419 is the number of the law in Nigeria outlawing this type of scam hence where it got its name. But I've had scams from Malaysia, USA, Russia and the U.K so it's pretty much global.
Keep fighting the good fight.

I am the person who owns the safe firm in UK but right now on sick bed for my heart surgery due to my heart failure M Efosa
Tell them to go to hell and burn to arches Prince Jerry Zulusofola
I don’t have job, I am a hacker, hacking jawing stick and Sachet water Udeh Ebuka
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162469
Closed lad accounts x5 Easter Egg 2012
Mortal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, it's pretty much worldwide. They come from various countries, with various scripts.
For example there are lots of love lads from china and russia, but only few NOK and classical lads from that area. Smile

Safari George: Accra -> Togo I really want to do business with you, because i know you are an Angel send to rescue me by God.
Czech RepublicUnited StatesNigeriaGhanaGermany x6
GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU. Mr. Olisa
Every night a phonecall from you, you talk rubbish. Mr. Olisa
Juan's hidden fries!
DrStranglove
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There was a 60 Minuets short on 419 scams and they interviewed what may be Nigeria's only Nobel Prize winner. He gave an interesting explanation of it which, esp if you have ever actually been there, I think was spot on. I will see if youtube has it....

JumpinJayJay
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

scammers are not confined to Nigeria. They are not confined to West Africa. They are not all "of colour". I have baited scammers from west african nations, sure, but I've also baited scammers in South Africa and Spain and other places in Europe. Whilst it may seem that a lot are from there, by no means are all of them nigerian.

This thread could be headed towards dangerous territory Wink

Click here to support 419Eater.com pony pony
Mortar x5 Nurse Nastys Audi TT
Brainiac
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

after all, our site is named "419" Eater. a natural question to ask.
That is the Nigerian criminal code number. But as others have posted
this scamming thing and sending format-scripts is GLOBAL.
It is a world-wide problem. This should settle the matter. No sense in berating the point.

I am Christian and not a heathen as you mentioned
I am an FBI Agent and I work 24hours of the day.
You are playing with my intelligence.
You are making a fool of me. I am not here for joke. ---------(FBI agent Fred Owen)

You are so stupid...are you kidding yourself or are you insane? -----(hitlad "Dirty" Sanchez)
ThankingArthur
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just thought I'd mention that crime, of any sort, is fuelled by corruption and poverty. Unfortunately, many countries in the African continent, and elsewhere in the world, are cursed with those conditions. Furthermore, this crime is easy to pull off and hard to catch the culprit of. Enforcement is lax and law enforcement is easily bribed. So why wouldn't you do it?

Why Nigeria? It houses the largest population in Africa, which is a good reason why so many scams come out of there - it's a game of numbers.

But indeed, scams come from all over the world, it's just that Nigeria has the ideal conditions for this kind of thing to occur and that is a major reason why such a large percantage of these scams are from Nigeria.

Safari Morgan: Accra, Ghana to Lomé, Togo and Back. (~370km total) "it was hurt i paid hotel bills and also rented a car to pick Sarah up at the airport it was so hurt i spent money to go down to Lome"

12x Closed lad accounts Oink.

i promise you .you shall pay for this -Another satisfied customer
TheFae
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It truly is all over the world. Sometimes a script will sound familiar, but if you run the email headers you'll find it's from India, etc. As a site killer, I'm always amazed how intricate these things are in setup. I finally killed a site last week (after a long series of reports!) that purported to be in the UK and the registrant was in China. Romania and Russia have people who run extensive credit card scams - just an example. So no, it's not just Nigeria. Greed and opportunistic people exist everywhere. Evil or Very Mad

GO GOLD! **CLICKY**
"This is really bad"
"my account has been disable and can not sell anymore and this is all i live on"
partysan
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ThankingArthur, I think this is an answer.
Furthermore, additional to the large population in Nigeria itself, there is a huge number of nigerian emigrants who are on the game, worldwide.

In my country (in Europe) Nigerians are infamous for drug-dealing, even if it could be a generalisazion.
Murry Guru
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We do need to be careful with generalising but it is true that there are quite a few scammers of Nigerian decent who operate scams from countries other than Nigeria, Malaysia for instance is home to many Nigerians who are still making a living from scamming.

Another point, I do like the assessment by Thanking Arthur, it is quite accurate from my observations but I did want to point out that those who are more likely to be scammers appear to be those who have access to computers and some education, the uni students in particular may use scamming as a means of getting themselves through Uni, that certainly does not make it right, but it is the way it is, those scamming are certainly not the poor peasants living in a grass hut and eating leaf soup.

Got info on a scam vic? PM a mod Recieved a scam warning? Say "thank you, I am a baiter"
Ruin your pets day, post their details at scamwarners
Nurse Nastys Audi TT <- I run like a girl
Mortar x12 Closed lad accounts ? not enough Twisted Evil
Goat Goat <- this one belongs to Ralph.
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The long answer involves all sorts of cultural and historical beliefs. You'll need to go onto Nigerian forums to get a better understanding of that and make up your own mind as to why.

The short and widely held belief is, that a former leader borrowed a bucket load of money from the world bank in the late 70s and instead of spending it for the good of the nation, kept it for himself and left the debt to the people. They then collectively decided what was good for the leaders was good for them. They have been getting away with it for so long because the law is as bent as the criminals.

Scam letters were first sent locally in Nigeria and they scammed each other. But word soon got around so it had to go global to keep the money rolling in. It just became a bad habit that has spread to surrounding countries who want a piece of the action..

The vast majority of Naija (its a country of 120 million) are as honest and honourable a people as you will find anywhere. It's just they were unlucky enough to be born in a dump of a country. Some scam because they are out and out scum, the most because they have the time and wherewithal. And some because it's a matter of life an death. Advanced fee fraud itself has been around for centuries.

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
Stealth
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It needs to be put in perspective. There is evidence that some of the 'advance fee' frauds were perpretrated in the holy wars of the the 13th/14th century.

They appear to be based on factual kidnappings, but were in fact of the "send me 400 kroners to help me be released" opportunist activities. So the 419 scams have been around since there have have been gullible people.
These days its somones dyinmg on the 'Ajuba Highway'. In short the role of eater is to educate, but also have some fun on the way.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic