SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Craigslist Cheap ($2900) Lat Model Cars

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
jenny309
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There are constant ads on craigslist for late model $2900 cars. They end up being flagged immediately, but they still come back.

Does anyone know why they pick $2900 to $2999 for the price? Seems too easy to spot.

Anyway, I've got one nibbling on my hook right now. I'm supposed to send the money via Western Union to a specific name and address. Is there any chance this address is legit?

I want to tell them I used Western Union Overnight Home Delivery to string them along for a few days. In a week or so I'll say the card was returned. (Overnight Delivery sends a prepaid debit card via FedEx).

Or should I just send them $1 via WU with a 'secret pick up question' of "Do you think I'm stupid?"
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's possible the address is real. But of course the easy way around that is to realize you "accidentally" made a mistake in the address at WU. For example, nobody told you that Niger is a different country than Nigeria...

Quote:
Does anyone know why they pick $2900 to $2999 for the price?

When it comes to prices on these ads, if they go too high, people are more likely to research and if it's too low, people will get suspicious. Also, if the scam involves WU (some of them involve fake paypal transactions instead), there are maximum amounts and/or amounts that will lead to higher scrutiny, so they will make sure the amount is below that threshhold. They've probably had success with that price in the past and they just wrote it into the script.

We never recommend sending anything to scammers, even a dollar, for several reasons--here are a few reasons not to do it:
a) you are then giving them your personal information
b) even a dollar can be applied to more scamming
c) there is no reason to put your own money into a bait (and with the transaction fees it will go way beyond a dollar).

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Also, if the scam involves WU (some of them involve fake paypal transactions instead), there are maximum amounts and/or amounts that will lead to higher scrutiny

That seems to be exactly it. WU has different rules when you send $3000.

Anyway, this scammer posted a boat on craigslist (all over the country) that had been sold on eBay. There was a particular line from the advertizement that was easy to google. It had sold on eBay for $13,000.

They sent me an invoice from 'ebay-transactions-ltd.com' requesting I send $2900 to their agent in Philadelphia. I seriously considered mailing a fake check to this address but didn't because (a) it's illegal, and (b) the slob in Philly is probably just some poor mule who signed up for a work-at-home scam.

Instead, I complained about the high fee being added to my cost by Western Union ($150 for a $2900 payment). They said to simply take $150 off the price, I refused, stating that WU would not refund the $150 if there was a problem, but eBay would protect me. I told them to either prepay the $150 through WU or accept a paypal payment. Their last response was last week stating the transaction would be cancelled if payment was not made by the end of that day. I'm surprised they gave up so easily.
WhoEvrIwant2b
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah it is sad, they seem to get pissed off and quit within a few days if they are not getting money. Makes sense for them not to invest to much time and just go for volume but it makes it much less interesting for us.
jenny309
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This breed seems particularly stupid. They should at least wait for the eBay auction to end before posting the same vehicle, with the same description and the same pictures. They don't seem willing to do much for my $2900 either.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic