SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Australian SCAM VICTIM

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
numbnuts
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A WEST Australian single mother is out of pocket by nearly $9000 after being ripped off by Nigerian internet scammers who impersonated the state's consumer fraud regulator.

The woman, who did not want to be named, was conned into transferring the money overseas with the promise of a $US250,000 ($A278,000) windfall from the Nigerian government.

The hoaxers used fake emails from WA ScamNet, eBay, PayPal and the Nigerian Police, Customs and Central Bank in the elaborate sting.

WA ScamNet is the fraud advisory arm of the WA Department of Consumer and Employment Protection (DOCEP), which profiles scams targeting local consumers and businesses.

Consumer Protection Commissioner Anne Driscoll said the victim was targeted after selling a $250 portable PlayStation on eBay last month.

A bogus buyer made an offer, but asked for the item to be shipped to Nigeria, claiming to have transferred the funds via PayPal.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

* State logo used in Nigerian email scam The Australian, 11 hours ago
* PayPal hirings to ease anger Australian IT, 19 Apr 2010
* PayPal suspends some India services Courier Mail, 7 Feb 2010
* Phone scam warning Perth Now, 14 Dec 2009
* Police warn on internet scam Perth Now, 2 Dec 2009

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The seller received a fake email from PayPal confirming the funds had been deposited, and was then asked by the scammers to pay additional shipping costs and duty.

Fake Nigerian Customs forms and phony PayPal emails again `confirmed' payment.

Suspecting a scam, the victim contacted WA ScamNet, which advised her to break off contact with the fraudsters.

But after forwarding the email to the scammers themselves, they sent her fake emails with WA ScamNet and WA government logos, advising her to co-operate with Nigerian authorities.

She then received a phony eBay email saying the case had been reported to the Nigerian police, who had arrested the fraudster.

Later, a fake police email told her the Nigerian president had awarded her $US250,000 ($A279,485) in compensation.

But there was a catch.

A false document from the Nigerian Central Bank said the woman had to pay a transfer fee of about $US7000 ($A7800) before the money could be released.

After losing about $8700, the victim went to the WA ScamNet offices in Perth and was told she'd been conned.
``I felt violated,'' the woman said in an interview supplied by DOCEP.

''(I) just can't believe that people could do this.

``When I actually said over time that I can't afford this, I'm a single parent, well they would come back with, 'Go get a loan.'

``It was nearly $9000 with all the fees.

``If I go on eBay again, I'm not selling anything to overseas.

``This was our first time - and it's my last time.''

Ms Driscoll said it was very concerning that overseas scammers were impersonating official bodies.

``This was a particularly alarming scenario where scammers have actually impersonated the WA regulator,'' she said.

``The thing to remember is that no overseas organisation is going to pay you a large amount of money for nothing - especially the Nigerian government.

``If you need assurance that you're talking, emailing the correct regulator or bank or secure online transaction point, make sure you're logged directly to the legitimate site.

`Don't trust a link that's sent to you by somebody you don't know.'

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/wa-mum-loses-9000-to-nigerian-internet-scammer-impersonating-wa-regulator/story-e6frg2qc-1225866143233
`'

Last edited by numbnuts on Fri May 14, 2010 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
JumpinJayJay
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

linky

Click here to support 419Eater.com pony pony
Mortar x5 Nurse Nastys Audi TT
Mortal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh. Always bad to hear they're succesful. Sick bastards.
Thanks for the link.

And yet, some people still thinks only stupid people fall for scam Evil or Very Mad

Safari George: Accra -> Togo I really want to do business with you, because i know you are an Angel send to rescue me by God.
Czech RepublicUnited StatesNigeriaGhanaGermany x6
GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU, GOD PUNISH YOU. Mr. Olisa
Every night a phonecall from you, you talk rubbish. Mr. Olisa
Juan's hidden fries!
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well there does seem to be an element of stupidity here. She suspected a scam, asked for official advice, ignored it, then fell for a bigger scam..
Quote:
Suspecting a scam, the victim contacted WA ScamNet, which advised her to break off contact with the fraudsters.

But after forwarding the email to the scammers themselves

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Overland
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sort of a double scam there almost like she was baited. If you think of some of the baits here, if someone had pulled off that twist we'd be cheering.
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I saw this article in the 'Westie' in the pub in Perth today and risked life and limb by surreptitiously tearing it out to post up here. I'm pleased to see I was beaten to it.

Here is the linky to Govt. of Western Australia [W.A. ScamNet] - Dept. of Commerce -website...

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/consumerprotection/scamnet/content/pages/full_list.html

which has an A-Z of common scams.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Overland wrote:
Sort of a double scam there

A recovery scam in effect, despite the fact that she hadn't lost anything to the original scam.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Mjwoody
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well the good thing is that she is only out $9k. I just hate to think that some asshole is sitting out there enjoying the unearned.

They should have their testicles clipped and burned so that they cannot contaminate the rest of the gene pool.....

"IMBECILE LIKE YOU. SEE AS YOU BLACK LIKE CHARCOAL AND YOUR MOUTH LIKE WOMAN TOTO WEY COME DEY OPEN DEY TALK RUBBISH" - Jahmil Ahmed
Dharma
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^agree

very sad story indeed

however, check what happened to

Nelson Sakaguchi

his story should make it to Hollywood

Safari Accra- Douala(i only have one thing to say to you, go Fuck yourself and have a nice day Ok)
Safari London to Edinburgh(with DD)Sterck
Safari The Road to West Darfur (with Dr Mike)
Safari X2 Accra- Douala- Mundemba (Why do you put me in pain)
Safari Ireland to Sweden- Zion
Safari Nigeria- Chad (with Dr Mike and Agda)
Safari X2 Liberia- Ivory Coast, (with IG)
Safari X3 Nigeria to Chad- Steve & Tony(T**T team)
Safari X3 Belgium-Sweden-Denmark- Congo(with Dr Mike and Dane)
(Safari Safari Safari) X2 Operation Gold 2011
Safari X23 Random safaris (You are a bastard beast)Akmal
Golden Pith Rame Head 2013

Upgrade!
Scambaiting Tools!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic