SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Any tips on baiting ebay "Buy It Now" scammers?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bait Runner
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I regularly check ebay for various musical instruments and periodically encounter scam auctions where a hijacked account offers an appealing instrument for an amazingly low price, and then includes bold text instructing that the seller must be contacted outside of ebay to take advantage of the amazing "Buy-It-Now" deal. I always promptly report these to ebay, and the auctions generally get taken down within hours. Usually an email brings back a message something like the one I got from "Linda C4rson" yesterday:

Hi,

Thank you for email....
You have the opportunity to purchase this item only for US $2000.00.The deal will go strictly according to eBay's rules and policy regarding to this
purchase.If you want start the official procedure I need to know your details:

eBay User Id#:
Full name and address for shipping.

As soon as I have them I'll start the official procedure, and eBay will notify you about this. You'll also receive important guidelines + instructions from
them (please go through them exactly). I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you + I am willing to deduct you with the fee for
handling the payment procedure.Also, a refund policy will be included.

Looking forward to hear from you .

Regards...

Of course the next step in this scam would be spoofed ebay messages and Paypal instructions to wire shipping expenses etc. etc..

My responses always include made-up ebay user names, but I guess these guys have gotten smart enough to check on this. In my last attempt I was the director of Musical Ministries at the "Ch_urch of Xtian Kindn3ss" needing four keyboards for missionary concerts in Ghana (hoping the seller might be able to help out with drop shipping!) but I have also tried just being a run of the mill buyer. No responses, I'm guessing because my ebay account doesn't check out.

I really want to waste some of these guy's time. Is there such a thing as a "baiter" ebay account? I understand the importance of baiters not engaging in illegal activities.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic