SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Help! My wife just got scammed by a 419er on Facebook.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
casty
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He broke into a friend's account, and while I was in the air during a flying lesson, convinced her that he was mugged and in London (!!). She sent him $450 via Western Union -- which was picked up in Manchester. Now I've come home, horrified, to find out what's been going on while I was incommunicado!

Luckily she hasn't tipped her hand that we (now) know what's up, and he's asking for more.

He created a fake hotmail account and X-Originating-IP points to Nigeria, but they've obviously got a runner in Manchester.

What next? What do you recommend? He's getting antsy. Police in Manchester were worthless when she called. Also, Western Union is running a very scammer-friendly business, aren't they?
Happy_Slacker
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to 419eater casty.

Sorry to hear what happened, Evil or Very Mad

At this point just drop him, since he has real info on your friend. Unfortunately there is not much else you can do to recover the money. If you do desire revenge, and you said he is getting 'antsy' we here can give him some special attention, as well as your self (create a FAKE ID/email).

If you have the very first email from the scammer, by all means PLLLEEEAASSEEE post it here, with the headers. Also you might want to visit our sister site: www.scamwarners.com and share your story there too.

edit

You are pretty much correct. Western Union in that part of the world have compromised employees. All the scammers have to do is offer a cut of their ill gotten gains to keep them blind to their own activities..

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have no illusions that we're going to get the money back. It's already been picked up, and even though WU probably has him on camera, the police (wrongly) said that Facebook has to contact them for them to do anything. Which is total crap, Facebook wasn't robbed, we were.

First contact was via Facebook. His account has already been shut down there. They switched it to a fake hotmail account and the x-originating-ip was 41.155.83.253.

Since they're already corresponding with my wife via her REAL email address, that's probably the best place to seek revenge, no? Or would you recommend just dropping it altogether?
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you been able to contact your friend by phone? He/she needs to change password and warn ALL contacts.

Quote:
IP points to Nigeria, but they've obviously got a runner in Manchester.

Maybe but if your wife gave the MTCN the cash can be picked up anywhere!

BTW the Manchester police are very quick to pick up lads with false IDs IF they are informed by WU agent.

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
Happy_Slacker
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Since they're already corresponding with my wife via her REAL email address, that's probably the best place to seek revenge, no?

NOO! Drop him! And also to try to mitigate any further damage, try to contact all the persons that are on your wife's account by phone, and tell them that the account has been compromised and that it is now used by a scammer, and any messages from that account asking for money because of some 'bs story' should just be ignored.

edit

Unless of course you mean by baiting him with a new fake addy,

Last edited by Happy_Slacker on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
casty
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Right, the scammer said he was in London. The money was sent via WU and you only need to specify the destination country. WU reports it was picked up in Manchester. They won't tell us which location in Manchester though.

And as far as we could tell, the Manchester police were not very interested in nabbing these guys.
casty
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Happy_Slacker: my wife's account was not (as far as we know) compromised. My friend (let's call him Joe) -- Joe's facebook account was compromised, and used to send a message to my wife, claiming that Joe had just been mugged in London. I don't think anything from the correspondence between my wife and fake-Joe could be used to compromise my wife's facebook or email accounts.

Of course, as a prophylactic, we'll just change all her passwords today.
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't see why WU is being so anal that they'll tell you the city where it was picked up but not the outlet.

Anyway, if it really was claimed in Manchester, the chances are that it's Cheetham Hill. There's a large Nigerian scamming cell operating from there.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
casty
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Agreed about WU. I'm going to see if I can send them back to the outlet and send a friend there with a camera.
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Casty

Quote:
WU reports it was picked up in Manchester. They won't tell us which location in Manchester though.

A court order would be needed to get them to reveal that!

Quote:
And as far as we could tell, the Manchester police were not very interested in nabbing these guys.

How would you go about investigating this? Get real, go to an unknown location to find out who picked up the cash? The ID used could have been bought for a few pounds! $450 is small change compared with some payouts!

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Regarding the friend and the camera: A waste of time and you'll only put your friend in danger.

It's not the nicest of neighbourhoods and the people you're looking for aren't exactly the laid back, respectable type.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
casty
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There seem to be 3 Cheetham Hill Road locations Sad.
casty
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Alright, I guess I should just drop the whole thing then. Too bad, I was hoping for some kind of vigilante justice.
Happy_Slacker
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That doesn't mean he can't still feel some pain. Give us his email...

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

casty wrote:
I was hoping for some kind of vigilante justice.

Believe me: the cops know who they are. Catching the scumbags and putting them away is another story though. Hopefully, the law is working on it but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Vigilante justice will probably end up with you being hurt and not them. These guys are no strangers to violence (remember where they originally come from) and they work to a different standard of morality than the rest of us - ie: they'd have no problem sticking a knife in you or shooting your nads off. They do that, all they've got to do is skip the country back to Nigeria. Or on the other hand, head off to a prison cell that's going to seem like a luxury hotel to what they're normally used to.

Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bad news Sad I too would advise against going after these guys. They won't go to the WU unless there's money there waiting, and they aren't the sort of people you'd really want to meet. Especially considering they may well have mates in London, Birmingham, Newport or wherever you happen to be, and they have personally identifiable information on your wife. Anywhere in England is too close to home, stay well away.

Raga Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, casty. Sorry for your troubles.

casty wrote:
I was hoping for some kind of vigilante justice

That is, more or less, what we do here - but from a safe distance. Stick around, learn how the game works, and maybe you can carve a pound of flesh out of this jerk yourself. Lots of helpful people here to give you a hand.

Nurse Nastys Audi TT + Sand Timer (15 mo.) David Holt (will eat your flesh for money)
"there is something fishery going on", "You people are all Junks", E. Kaba
"Go and face your dumb life", J. Mathin
"You are not well trained as a human being...", M. Tony
"...there are thieves and kackers and postal pilferers in africa...", E. Didier. Shocked Who knew?
casty
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He created a one-off email for this guy's account. To give that out I'd have to reveal the name of my friend who got hacked on Facebook. I'm pretty sure my friend won't want that. Sorry.
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

Location: Wandering around the world with a sense of adventure!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
(create a FAKE ID/email)

No, don't create something that the Lad can use again to scam a potential victim. -learnt this the hard way- Even if it is poorly done.

Unless you mean a whole new identity than, yes of course.

Casty: Sorry to hear about the your friend! Sad But like everyone here has said, you will not be able to get the money back. Go to Scamwarners and share what happened there. Also, the Western Union employees aren't really allowed to stop a transaction from going through, they'll get reprimanded for sending it to Africa (Particularly Nigeria) but they can't tell the customer no. Only give them warnings of the scam. It's best NOT to bait him as he does know personal details linking to your friend, but if you do decide to bait him, create a whole new identity (even change genders if you have to- for your character), and then waste his time. Eater University can show you the various ways to bait a lad. Read them and then you maybe get your lad to wear tutu while traveling to Mali to pick up the "payment" eventually.

YOU ARE TOO SMALL, GO AHEAD WITH WHATEVER YOU THINK OR IMAGINED THAT YOU CAN DO TO ME, ONCE YOU TRY ONCE YOU WILL DIE HARD. YOU BETTER DON'T TRY ME AT ALL YOU FOOL- Mariam Abacha (6 months)
<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232044">[Current ongoing bait]</a>
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Exclusive prizes]</a>
Closed lad accounts x17 Goat Easter Egg 2011 Nigeria
Safari Auntie Tina- Lagos-Parakou-Tanguieta-Niamey-Tera-Mallanville-Lagos "well the story you read in children's fairytale story book when you are young is not the same as what is happing now."
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

casty wrote:
Too bad, I was hoping for some kind of vigilante justice.

While that certainly does sound lovely, this is perhaps not the best way. What you've described will get your friend on the wrong side of the law at best, and on the wrong side of a gun at worst.

I understand how frustrating this is for you and your wife, but making rash decisions won't help the situation.

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
Technomancer
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Casty
Sorry to hear about what happened to you Sad This sort of thing is all too common, these guys are very good at what they do.
Until the laws get changed to remove all the red tape and politics that prevent the police dealing with people like this, the only way to legally hurt them is by taking away the only thing they really care about - their money. Baiting them wastes their time, running up their internet costs and hopefully diverting them away from real victims. Also we can try to send them off on pointless safaris and shut down their bank accounts, all of which costs them money and hinders their operations. Not to mention the satisfaction gained when you get a really angry E-mail from them after driving them up the wall for months on end Wink

If you want to try it though, you need to get an anonymous E-mail account with a fake name, and fake details (meaning a street address that doesn't exist!) and make sure that your baiting character has no hints or links whatsoever to your real self.

Might be worth mentioning it to one of the mods over at Scamwarners too. They might be able to post up some details without revealing your friend's name. That way, the details of the scam will show up on Google searches and so on, so will hopefully stop someone else from falling for the same trick, which will deny these scammers more victims.

*phew* long post. I actually feel like I said something informative for once, lol Smile
Welcome to Eater Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------
I went to the Mr Biggs' drive-in...
Nurse Nastys Audi TT And all I got was this lousy Easter Egg with fries! Easter Egg Mc Fry

Closed lad accounts x1
internationalchrysis
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you DO decide to create a fake id for yourself, have a play with the fake name generator (unsurprisingly, at www.fakenamegenerator.com).

I had a blast with it and have come up with several characters inspired by it.

And the addresses it spits out have saved my bacon more than once Wink Rolling Eyes

Safari x1 (Senegal to Gambia)
"You can go now and f*ck yourself with a donkey or horse because you really need to be f*cked by a donkey or horse"
(George Michael's brother Frank/Frannypoo)

"You are a dead meat!"
(Léon the (Not so) Professional)

Closed lad accounts (19 in total:
x2 Léon the (not so) Professional. x4 Via Swindler's list. x4 Via Will and Grace the Law Firm. x3 *Hitman, x1 Hitman: The sequel!, , x1 Haiti scam, x1 The Bimbo (via Umbongo Chambers),
x1 Rita the ETA eater, x1 Via Team Doughnut, x1 Via Prince Emaka, x4 via the Nazis)
Agent1002
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You can toss the lad off the trail of the real victim. I have a mass bait that is losing steam. Part of the reason for the bait was to convince the lad the Vic got a new job and has very recently moved.

Sorry for the thread hijack to my thread, but this may provide ideas. Do offer to help the lad. The offer comes from the vic's friends that are not in the contact list. This lad found the vic has lots of friends that are concerned and willing to help. From there problems ensue. Anything less from baiters is unacceptable. Rolling Eyes

Mass bait for stolen identity;
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181869

Get the vic's permission to proceed and start a mass bait. Concerned friends do contact each other and cause tons of trouble for the lad. This happens fast in a forum among baiters.

Internet Security Team

Agent 1002
Brainiac
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Agent1002 and everybody ^^^^ Just waiting on a "green light" on this one.
Say the word.
(Doing fairly well, I ASEM'ed and necro'ed "London Sandra")

I am Christian and not a heathen as you mentioned
I am an FBI Agent and I work 24hours of the day.
You are playing with my intelligence.
You are making a fool of me. I am not here for joke. ---------(FBI agent Fred Owen)

You are so stupid...are you kidding yourself or are you insane? -----(hitlad "Dirty" Sanchez)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic