SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Facebook chat scam

View next topic
View previous topic

Gristle McThornbody
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have searched and looked around (new to the forums) and haven't found anything about this one. It happened to me a few weeks ago (I didn't fall for it) and then I heard a local talk radio host talking about the same scam a couple days ago (he did fall for it.)

You're on Facebook, and you get a chat message pop up from one of your friends. Small talk ensues for a minute or two, then the scam unfolds, "Well, I'm in a bit of trouble, I'm in London and I was just mugged at knife point. They took my cell phone, all my credit cards and all my cash. Can you wire me some money?"

This is when the red flag raised for me... this 'friend' was someone I went to high school with, but haven't spoken to or even had an online chat with in over 15 years... and of course, there is the thought in my head of 'if you can chat on facebook, then you can call someone else... someone you've spoken to more recently than 1995.' So I just closed the chat. But evidently, they've had some success, despite the brow-furrowing oddity of using facebook chat to solicit help.

I'm guessing what happens is someone installs a rogue application for facebook that phishes the user's login and password, then they log in and wait around for friends of that person to log in and then drop the scam on them.
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, this is a standard scam and quite common, actually--sometimes it is a facebook or myspace page, other times it is emails to all of the contacts in a mailbox. Often they don't use a rogue application--unfortunately, sometimes people will still fall for a simple email that is supposedly from Facebook or the administrator of the email domain.

We have actually had several cases of that here, and there have been some lovely group baits of the scammer when he attempts to phish the login information.

Edit to add: Here is the link for the long-running group bait. In this case the scammer took over a hotmail box, but it is the exact same scam.
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164842&start=0

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hola
I came across a facebook scam. A message saying you can get a free laptop. So you click the link and you must answer a quick quiz then you come to a page and you must enter your cell phone number. I looked at the terms and conditions and you would be charged for downloads.

I sent a report to facebook and they removed it within 2 days.
The scam was targeted at NZers.

Ford Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic