SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Is this guy sincere, insane, or a scammer? You decide...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Malanya
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I received this as a private message on a forum I participate on. I'm pretty open about who I am there, and have my real life photo as my avatar.

I received this message:

Quote:
Ms. Malanya,
I am very hesitant to write you this PM.Please follow this PM word by word.This is not a spam.My name is Dr.Abhishek Ghosh,I live in Kolkata,India.I am a doctor (Surgeon) by profession.I neither know you personally,nor have seen you.In fact,I dont know where you live.I recently,have "discovered" some "supernatural" power inside me.I sometime "see" "something".I am not a monk or saint.I have a nice wife and family.I work in a Govt. Medical school as a associate prof. in the Dept. of General surgery.I do have some private practice too.
Actually,I saw something about the person who is in your profile picture/avatar...may be its you or someone else.
What I have "seen" is in summary,the woman (whose picture is in your profile) is calm,quiet person.She is near and dear to one young,somewhat a bit lean man.I dont know if the man is her boyfriend,husband ,brother or something else.The man is intelligent,talks a lot,a kind of "restless",he does not shave regularly.That man is in danger or will be in danger.
I know upto this.
I am a totally normal person,I have no psychological problem,in present or in past...

I am very sorry to disturb you.But the "sight" bothering me from past few days.So,I told you.
By the name of God,I have no bad intension.I told you as the things happened to me.
Again I am saying sorry to disturb you.
God Bless You.

Regards
Dr.Abhishek Ghosh

Okay.... the only way I can see that this could be a money scam is that if a person got scared or worried or wanted to know more about how that person could be in danger, that they could offer to connect the person with someone who IS a "monk" or a "saint" or some other kind of spiritualist who could "remove a curse" (for a nominal fee).

But.... it wasn't sent out to all of the female members of this forum -- as far as I can tell, I was the only one who received this. I've asked a few of my other female friends on the board who have their RL photo as their avatar, and they didn't receive it.

Seriously tho... wtf? I'm almost willing to go with "insane" because most people who profess sanity so loudly are the ones you need to drag to the looney bin.
mindgames
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is just my inexperienced take, but I think the scammer assumes you're gullible. He says he "prophesizes" danger for you or a loved one, expecting you to inquire further. It's not uncommon for scammers to not immediately ask for money in their opening letter. I suspect there will be "supernatural obstacles" this shaman will need to overcome with some "unexpected expenses" in the near future. Also, the grammar and general writing style are a dead giveaway of a scammer.
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Malanya

You say your real life photo is on this site? If your real name and address is there too, it is better to delete ignore and block this person.

Better to bait safe, using gmail and flase details try http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/
for workable IDs.

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
Malanya
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

devil_woman wrote:
Welcome Malanya

You say your real life photo is on this site? If your real name and address is there too, it is better to delete ignore and block this person.

Better to bait safe, using gmail and flase details try http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/
for workable IDs.

I don't use my real name, but do use my city. I won't be baiting this guy because of that -- but this was a scam letter I'd never seen before, and I wasn't sure if this was a new tactic or if this was just a random nutcase. I Googled his name and apparently there *is* a doctor with that name in that city in India.

Thanks for that link, btw -- it'll be great for verifying where Ann Marie Koqaldew (just call her Annie) really lives.
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't worry about security. I don't think this guy (or any small-timer on the opposite end of the world) is in any position to track you down and murder you.

As for who he is, personally, my opinion is that some village is being deprived of its idiot.

If I were you, I would write back for the free entertainment. Hey, he'll probably love the fact that someone "believes" him anyway. Do be vigilant, though. This could, of course, be a new modality to reel in new victims. But since you seem to already be aware of that possibility, I needn't tell you to not send him any money if he were to ask.

Welcome to Eater. Thumbs up

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic