SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Not AFF, but can someone look at landlordtools.org?

View next topic
View previous topic

liberty4848
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone do any research to help me identify where this email is coming from? From my limited experience I was only able to track it from Georgia to Australia to my location. I'm guessing it's coming from Nigeria but I need some kind of confirmation of its origination. I'm writing an article about a particular scam and it would really help to have the origination. Thanks so much for your help!

Here's the full header (the email addy i am using is a fake and the name is as well, so if there is info in here that I didn't get I'm not that worried about it... I left in a couple IPs that are probably "mine" - i'm not using this from my home - )):

Quote:
From Mary C. Collins Thu Jan 21 05:52:19 2010
X-Apparently-To: [email protected] via 68.180.199.53; Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:52:28 -0800
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
X-YMailISG:
X-Originating-IP: [66.147.249.5]
Authentication-Results: mta1015.mail.sp2.yahoo.com from=landlordtools.org; domainkeys=pass (ok); from=landlordtools.org; dkim=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (HELO outbound-mail-344.bluehost.com) (66.147.249.5)
by mta1015.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:52:27 -0800
Received: (qmail 28125 invoked by uid 0); 21 Jan 2010 05:52:27 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO box556.bluehost.com) (66.147.242.156)
by outboundproxy7.bluehost.com.bluehost.com with SMTP; 21 Jan 2010 05:52:27 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=default; d=landlordtools.org;
h=Received:MIME-Version:Date:Message-ID:X-Mailer:X-Priority:Subject:Reply-To:From:To:Content-Type:In-Reply-To:X-Identified-User;

Received: from c-24-98-0-154.hsd1.ga.comcast.net ([24.98.0.154] helo=Virtual-XP-NinjaBot)
by box556.bluehost.com with esmtpsa (TLSv1:RC4-MD5:128)
(Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
id 1NXpxy-0000M6-QS
for [email protected]; Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:52:27 -0700
MIME-Version: 1.0
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 00:52:19 -0500
Message-ID: <[email protected]aBot>
X-Mailer: Chilkat Software Inc (http://www.chilkatsoft.com)
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Subject: Very interested
Reply-To: [email protected]
To: "xxx xxx" <[email protected]>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="-----_chilkat_58b_125c_09c5443b.27324208_.MIX"
In-Reply-To: [email protected]
X-Identified-User: {1049:box556.bluehost.com:nutsabou:easyautoquote.net} {sentby:smtp auth 24.98.0.154 authed with [email protected]}
Content-Length: 57613

Snipped long lines of text to prevent horizontal scrolling.

Moved to FB from Main, original title was "Need Help Identifying IP Location"-luckey

Moved to misc scams from the Fake Sites forum -Ima
handsomejack
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Copy and paste it into here: http://headertool.apelord.com/

Usually, the last IP is the one you want. Put it into this tool: http://www.infosniper.net/ to get a map

That will tell you everything you need to know.

Closed lad accounts x1
Safari x1
luckey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What makes you think it is coming from Nigeria?

At a glance, Landlordtools.org looks legit, and is not a common domain for email scams.

Edit: after searching around a bit, there is an informative thread here:

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5828&start=0

I'm assuming there's a connection. Wink

liberty4848
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How can this be legitimate? It's NOT a phishing site, but it is one of the fake real estate sites being set up in tandem with creditreport links. When the customer shows interest in a craigslist posting for a property, a "Mary C. Collins" from landlordtools.org responds with the following email:

Subject: Land Park rental
To: "Matt" <[email protected]>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2010, 2:10 PM

Hey Matt,
Thank you for your interest in my rental, Its currently available and I have attached a few pics from the property for you to look at.
I believe I covered this in the ad posting, but heres a little detail about the property: Its presently furnished (but I can easily put things in / get stuff out of storage to fulfill your needs) and the property is equipped with a washer and dryer. Also, there is a parking space and pets are fine.
If you would like to come and see the place, you will first need to take the following steps and then email me with times you're able to come and have a look around it.
To avoid pointless costs for both of us, I don't currently run a check on your rental history nor a background check but I do require a credit check be carried out. In order to rent my property you need to have a credit score of 575 or greater. If needs be, I am able to make exceptions but you must bring a copy of your report and an explanation so that we can discuss. You can get a copy of your score free below
http://www.e-creditreport.net
I respect your privacy so please do not email your credit report to me just be prepared to bring along a copy dated within the last week with you. As long as you meet the credit requirements you will not be required to put down a security deposit or pet deposit on this property.
Unlike most places you will not be charged an credit check fee or application fee because you will bring your own. Given the quality of the property and the volume of responses, I expect it to rent promptly, so if you are really interested, please act quick so as not to miss out.
Hopefully I can walk you through the place tomorrow or within the next few days - I will be organizing tours in the order in which they're requested, as I feel this is the fairest way.
Have a great Holiday!
Mary C. Collins

When the victim clicks on the e-creditreport.net link, they are taken to creditreport.com. When they fill out the request for the report, two things happen:

1) victim has signed up for a monthly credit reporting service at $14.95 a month
2) victim is emailed from Mary C Collins stating that the property has been rented

RE: Property
Tue, January 19, 2010 11:20:50 PM
To: [email protected]>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for your interest in the rental property.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that someone who came to see it last night has decided to take the place, and so assuming they pass the credit check, the place is off the market for now.

Please understand that I really do appreciate you getting in contact and if for whatever reason the offer from yesterday falls through, you'll be top of the list to come and view it.

Thanks,

Mary Collins

The company is an affiliate of creditreport.com and is making $22 each time a customer signs up in this manner (once the free trial is over).

Maybe not from Nigeria, but I ran one IP checker and it showed a route in Australia, and I see that often when dealing with 419 scams. More confused because the link provided above doesn't even show a route through Australia (the one that does is geobytes.com)

Thoughts?
luckey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wasn't saying that Mary Collins is legit, just that landlordtools.org MAY be legit. Then again it may not be.

It's not a scam in the classic advance fee fraud style we focus on here, but it certainly looks like a spam scam. I've seen examples of craig's list ads and ad replies that are targeted spam. This one does seem to cross the line and is intended to trick people into a service that they don't want or need.

I suppose it's possible that landlordtools.org was put up just to provide a legit sounding email address. The more I look at the site, the thinner it seems to be. This bit seems especially strange:

Quote:
Membership of LandlordTools.org site is currently only granted via invitation from a current member, however in the near future we are planning to steadily grow site membership, whilst maintaining the current level of privacy afforded by the sign-up mechanism we have in place.

Not many commercial sites make it so difficult to participate, and there does not seem to be any contact information anywhere.

Also, the listing search is completely useless.

While this is not a standard AFF situation, I'll move this to the FAKE SCAMMER BANKS & SITES forum. Perhaps someone there will have some insight and suggestions.

Ima can toss it somewhere else if it clogs things up. Very Happy

liberty4848
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And not many people use "whilst" in Georgia!

Thanks for your assistance and I look forward to seeing what the pros here can come up with!
woody999
Dormain Reshuffler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is not advanced fee fraud and the last one of these that I traced the email was just an autoresponder. The sites such as landlordtools.org are setup to direct internet traffic to the credit report sites owned by Mighty Net.
The domain secure.creditreport.com has been registered since 1995 and is good until 2013 so it is not your average run of the mill scammer site.

Snippet of TOS:
Quote:
("You," or the "member") may access CreditReport.com, CreditWatch.com (both trademarks of Mighty Net, Inc. and collectively referred to herein as "CreditReport.com") or any Products through the Site. You agree to be legally bound by these terms.

All of the sites that I have found that are owned by Mighty Net ask for a credit card before giving you the free credit report and this signs up up for a reoccurring charge on your credit card. If you read the fine print you have x number of days to cancel the service. The problem is they make it nearly impossible to contact them to cancel the service. The business address for Mighty Net is a PO Box, nice eh?

Check the BBB listing here > http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/Mighty-Net-Inc-13095351

Also note the number of complaints on this company.

This may be a bottom feeding company using shady tactic but if this was an outright fraud the company would have been shut down long ago.

Unless someone comes up something else this will just be another case of buyer beware. Crying or Very sad

"YOU NEED SOME DOCTOR" Barrister Peter Paul

I dont know who is lieing ,either you or F3lcha1r

is annoying to watch my email for a whole day and not read from you-
>178 Closed lad accounts x 198 Goat Easter Egg Purple Flower x2
United StatesNigeriaSpainUnited KingdomChinaGhanaUnited NationsThailandFilipino flagCambodia FlagcameroonGermanyMalaysiaSouth AfricaCanadaBeninRussiaFranceCayman IslandsLuxembourg
Ivory CoastBurkina FasoPortugalUnited Arab EmiratesTogoMexican FlagNetherlandsAustraliaIndonesiaSwitzerlandItalySenegalTurkeyJapanGibraltar
Peru : sri lanka : USVI : Oman x 5815
Cellphone x 45 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x2
MrBadLuck
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

liberty4848 wrote:
And not many people use "whilst" in Georgia!

Thanks for your assistance and I look forward to seeing what the pros here can come up with!

The state of Georgia? Yes they do.

Republic of Georgia? No idea.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree that creditreport.com is a "legitimate" site -- shady? yes, probably. fraudulent? probably not.

But e-creditreport.net is fraudulent because of the tactics they are using to drive customers to their site (which forwards to creditreport.com). They are clearly a paid affiliate but it is the tactics they are using that makes it illegal.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic