SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Who can tell me what scam this guy is trying to pull?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Tradetart
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not new to 419, in fact I have been involved on and off for the last two years. However, I got this mail from a client of mine (so i've logged onto 419 from work) and it smells of scam, especially the heavy use of the word okay and the gmail accounts, but I don't see how.

Sent: Monday, 11 January 2010 2:55 AM
To: XXXXXXX
Subject: RE: Body Cream Supply

Hello XXXXX,

Thank you very much for the price on the order i will like to go ahead with the order so i will like you to know am located in Queensland but am sending these order to a friend who stays in Ghana West Africa and there is a shipping company i want to recommend them to you that will come to you and pick the order up as soon as it is paid for and ready for pick up. I want you to send an email to the shippers and request a freight cost from them so that i can pay everything to you okay so here is the details you need to email the shippers so that they can be able to give you a freight cost okay.

. Quantities and kind of products. The shippers does not require the weight because they will put it in their own boxes so no need to email them weight okay just email them the quantities and kind of products.

. You location address where the shippers will come and pick the order.

. The delivery address of where the order is being sent to and below is the delivery address.

Mr. Gerald Barry.
4571 Tempani Ave.
Accra-Ghana.002333.

So these are the only information's you need to send to the shippers to get the freight cost from them okay and below is the contact details for the freight company. The best way to contact them is by e-mail okay here is the details.

Name of Shippers:
Customer Service E-mail: [email protected]
Manager E-mail: [email protected]
Company E-mail: [email protected]
Manager Name: Chris Lee.
Working Hours: 24hrs a day 7 days a week.

Please I want you to send an email to the freight company now and get the cost back from the shippers okay and as soon as you get the cost here is what i will like you to e-mail me back.

Shipping Cost:
Cost Of Order:
Credit Card Surcharges:
Total cost:

As soon I receive the total cost I will call you on the phone or you can call me on the phone on 204-272-9065 and i will provide you my credit card details to charge the full payment okay so you can go ahead and place the order and when it is ready you can send an email to the shippers again and ask them to come for the pick up okay. Thank you very much for the understanding to these e-mail I will look forward to ready from you shortly with the grand total cost. Thank you.

Best regards.....
Mr. Robert Mills

The shipping company doesn't have a website that is unusual. There is a similar one from India called Expressway Shipping but they use real email accounts.

Also they have no idea where my client lives, its almost in the middle of the outback, is this guy really gonna send the shipping company there to pick up a box of cosmetics?

They want to pay by credit card and come and get the product so what is the scam? Is there one? I can't send the internet mailing path info from the mail to check out where it originated as the mail was forwarded to me from my client, but I strongly suspect it wasn't Australia.

Does anyone have any ideas or possibly seen this before?
Bankster
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The credit card may be stolen or they may be an 'unforeseen' problem after which he'll offer to pay by cheque. Maybe the amount on the cheque accidentally exceeds the amount owed, in which case he'll ask you to send the excess amount back via Western Onion before your bank can tell you that the cheque bounced.

The shipping company has to be fake with those e-mail addresses. Why he'd use that I don't know. Could it be he has a fellow lad who'll pick up the order directly? But why would he want to give a Ghana address if he himself or a friend of his handles the 'shipping'?

Elite Ninja Team Member Easter Egg 2012 Goat Golden Goat Purple Flower Penguin
(United States United Kingdom Benin China Nigeria) x10 __ x?

Last edited by Bankster on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
auguste
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Tradetart
Welcome to 419 eater

I'm guessing fake check or stolen creditcard.
You get paid with a check or credit card , you deposit the money , they get the money (and maybe some extra money , because they send the check for the amount they owed you + 1000$).
a few days later the card has been reported for theft and you get to cough up the money from your on account. Or the check bounces.

Its not too uncommon. You should be able to find examples or storys over at scamwarners. They aren't always interested in the items in question. I remember seeing the story of a scammer placing orders for water park parts or something like that

the below links might be helpfull.
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3567
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3222
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3454

Theres also a specific link on what i'm describing on scamwarners
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22&sid=a9580933a03fc7fa0b63351d8d9a5b51
I'm not authorised to see it , but that might be because i just made an account..

A google on robert mills +scam shows up a few storys about him trying to order other items.
http://fixunix.com/hewlett-packard/259130-credit-card-scam.html
http://digitalprinter.blogspot.com/2009/04/robert-mills-scam-gains-international.html
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=610673
http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25718
http://www.balloonconsultant.co.uk/10-general-balloon-chat/1177-email-warning.html
Somehow i remember googling this name a few weeks ago. Can't remember for what...

I hope this can help you and your client

OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater.

As others have said, it looks like they are planning on using a stolen card to pay and pick up the order before it is caught by the card's owner. I really love how the same company uses 3 different email groups for thier company [gmail, accountant, and cooltoad]. Scammers will often copy a real shipping website to use as their own and name it similar to make it appear legitimate.

I doubt they did much research on where your client is located if he is in the middle of the outback.

To find out where the email originated, you could always try to explain to your client how to copy the mail header and send it to you.

Best thing to do is just inform the client to ignore the lad.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Dr Mittens
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I want you to send an email to the shippers and request a freight cost from them so that i can pay everything to you

As others have said, he plans to have you charge the (undoubtedly stolen) card for the full amount of item plus whatever (unusually high) charge is quoted to you from the bogus shipping firm. He'll come up with some excuse why he can't pay the shipping firm directly so he'll ask you to send them the shipping fee via western onion. They probably won't even try to pick up the merchandise since all they want to do is use you to turn the stolen credit into untraceable cash.
Tradetart
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the tips guys/gals. After readin g the links there were a few mails stating Robert Mills is from somewhere else but even had the same email addess. I will advise my client that it is a scam and she should terminate the contact.

Thanks for your help. Wish you all happy scamming!
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

auguste wrote:

Theres also a specific link on what i'm describing on scamwarners
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22&sid=a9580933a03fc7fa0b63351d8d9a5b51
I'm not authorised to see it , but that might be because i just made an account..

That's an old thread which has since been removed and replaced, that's why you can't see it (even if logged in, you won't be able to, only admins can). It was an informational topic on Check Scams. The new check scam topic is here: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3238

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Seba678
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Got same thing this morning - different name used etc.

Subject: shipping info

Hello,

Thank you very much for the price on the order i will like to go ahead with the order so i will like you to know am located in Minnesota but am sending these order to a orphanage home in Ghana West Africa and there is a shipping company i want to recommend them to you that will come to you and pick the order up as soon as it is paid for and ready for pick up. I want you to send an email to the shippers and request a freight cost from them so that i can pay everything to you okay so here is the details you need to email the shippers so that they can be able to give you a freight cost okay.

. Quantities and kind of products. The shippers does not require the weight because they will put it in their own boxes so no need to email them weight okay just email them the quantities and kind of products.

. The delivery address of where the order is being sent to and below is the delivery address.

Mr. Gerald Barry.
4571 Tempani Ave.
Accra-Ghana.002333.

So these are the only information's you need to send to the shippers to get the freight cost from them okay and below is the contact details for the freight company. The best way to contact them is by e-mail okay here is the details.

Name of Shippers: Faith Cargo Shipping company Ltd.
Company E-mail:

Please I want you to send an email to the freight company now and get the cost back from the shippers okay and as soon as you get the cost here is what i will like you to e-mail me back.

Shipping Cost:
Cost Of Order:
Credit Card Surcharges:
Total cost:

As soon I receive the total cost I will call you on the phone and i will provide you my credit card details to charge the full payment okay so you can go ahead and place the order and when it is ready you can send an email to the shippers again and ask them to come for the pick up okay. Thank you very much for the understanding to these e-mail I will look forward to ready from you shortly with the grand total cost. Thank you.

Best regards.....
Mrs.Mary Jay
pinkgecko
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This lady also called mary contacted me this morning enquiring about magnets. Weird because she didn't respond to questions about artwork and kept talking about the frieght, this is her latest reply:

-----------------------------------------

Pink,

Am located in Queens Land, thanks a lot for your time and concern with me,I'm fine with the cost also am ready to proceed but i will like to recommend you to contact Faith-Cargo-Shipping Co.ltd and find out about the shipping charges from your location to this delivery address below.

The delivery address of where the order is being sent to and below is the delivery address.

Mr. Gerald Barry.
4571 Tempani Ave.
Accra-Ghana.002333.

And this is the contact for the shipping as well:
Name Of Company: Faith-Cargo-Shipping Co.ltd
Email: [email protected]
Contact Person: Christ Lee

The freight company will be at your location for pick up. I want you to contact them and find out about the shipping cost and email me back with the subtotal of the units plus shipping cost as well.so that we can proceed Thank You

Best Regards
Mary.

-----------------------------------------

I knew something was up!
curlyearl
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good job seeing the scam. The "buyer" will also be the "shipper" who he wants you to contact.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome. Very Happy As curlyear said, the scammer will play all of the roles. This is an "overpayment" scam. Any money you send to the supposed shipper would be gone forever and the any check or payment you've processed will be fraudulent.
Glad you recognized the scam and did a search. Thumbs up

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
bethc8
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They will give you some sort of hoaky excuse, my client, accountant, employee, sent you a check(fraudulent, bogus,NSF) for $2500.00 more than they "prize" of the item, so be a dear and pay the shipping company and then send the rest to them. They will want you to send the extra amount by WU or MG and they will want you to do that FAST!!! Before the scam check they sent you bounces, so that you don't notice your bank account is now overdrawn!!! Or they may send you a forged check written on the account of a company, who will eventually realize that the check was forged and then you will be in trouble for fraud!! also!!
hydroneeds
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They have tried to scam me, what should I do to make a fool of them

here is the first email

Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for the price on the order i will like to go ahead with the order so i will like you to know am located in Queensland but am sending these order to a friend who stays in Ghana West Africa and there is a shipping company i want to recommend them to you that will come to you and pick the order up as soon as it is paid for and ready for pick up. I want you to send an email to the shippers and request a freight cost from them so that i can pay everything to you okay so here is the details you need to email the shippers so that they can be able to give you a freight cost okay.

Mr. Gerald Barry.
4571 Tempani Ave.
Accra-Ghana.002333.

Name of Shippers: Liberty Shipping company Ltd.
Manager Name: Prince Donaldson

Shipping Cost:
Cost Of Order:
Credit Card Surcharges:
Total cost:

As soon I receive the total cost I will call you on the phone and i will provide you my credit card details to charge the full payment okay so you can go ahead and place the order and when it is ready you can send an email to the shippers again and ask them to come for the pick up okay. Thank you very much for the understanding to these e-mail I will look forward to ready from you shortly with the grand total cost. Thank you.

Best regards.....
Mr. Derron Todd.
hydroneeds
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

this is the msg from the shipping company

Dear Customer,
Thanks a lot for choosing Liberty Shipping Company for all your shipping needs. For a pick up of such weight dimensions this will be the breakdown for the shipping cost include tax ,handling.

Shipping Charges:$940.00
Tax and Handling: $400.99
Grand total:$1,340.99

Pick up location of merchandise:
HN Distributions
Morphett vale
SA, Australia 5162

Delivery Address:
Mr. Gerald Barry.
4571 Tempani Ave.
Accra-Ghana.002333.

Payment Options: Western Union Transfer. Payment has to be sent to our main head office in Ghana West Africa via Western Union Transfer only and payment has to be sent to the name and address of the shipping Accountant below.
First Name: Ali Wuntah
Last Name: Abdul-Rasheed
Address: 1515 Adabaraka Road
City: Accra
Zip code: 00233.
State: Accra.
Tel: +233-212-70364
Also payment has to be sent to us in a form of cash and payment has to be wired to us via Western Union Transfer and this are the steps to make the Western Union Transfer transaction.
1. Go to your bank and get the cash amount to be sent to us in your hands.
2. Simply go to any Western Union Agent with the cash amount.
3.Pick up the Western Union at the Agent.
4. Fill in the Name and Address of the Accountant of the shipping company in the Western Union form.
5. Fill in your own details which include your full name, your company name and telephone number..ETC.
6. After finish filling the form submit the form to the Western Union Transfer Agent ..
7. The Agent will Process the Payment and give you an invoice and that will be the completion of the transaction.

Please here is a list of Western Union Transfer Agent Address in your area.
1.CASH CONVERTERS MORPHETT VALE
125 Main South Road
Morphett Vale, 5162
+61-8-83260500

Please go to any of this location to make the Wire transfer and as soon as the payment is done kindly email us with the following information.
1. Sender of Funds full name.
2. Text Question and answer.
3. Money Transfer Control Number( MTCN)
4. Amount Wired.
5. Telephone number for the sender.
As soon as we receive all this details we will type it into our computer system and put you on our shipping list and then provide you with the ten digit pin number which will have to be email back to us when ever the product is ready for us to come and pick it up. Remember always make payment for us to put you on our shipping list to avoid the increase of shipping rates and also to avoid delay of pick up. Thanks again for choosing us for all your shipping requirements and we look forward to serve you in the near future.
Sincerely Yours.
Prince Donaldson ( General Manager).
[/b]
Stattsman
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Below is the e-mail 'Robert Mills' has tried to scam us, it's identical to e-mail already posted

Sent: Thursday, 19 August 2010 12:53 PM
To: Sukha
Subject: Re: Sales Inquires

Hello xxx,

Mr. Gerald Barry.
4571 Tempani Ave.
Accra-Ghana.002333.

Name of Shippers: Express Way Shipping company Ltd.
Company E-mail: [email protected]

Shipping Cost:
Cost Of Order:
Credit Card Surcharges:
Total cost:

Best regards.....
Mr. Robert Mills

I "smelt a rat" and googled the non-existant shipping company, and when got onto 419eater.com, when I googled the e-mail address. Thank god for you guys. Stattsman
riinggao
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the tips guys/gals. After readin g the links there were a few mails stating Robert Mills is from somewhere else but even had the same email addess. I will advise my client that it is a scam and she should terminate the contact.

Thanks for your help. Wish you all happy scamming!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic