SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

BEWARE - some company databases being used by scammers

View next topic
View previous topic

GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Beware - I live in the UK and my isp is an international company that uses a call centre in India. My line is provided by the main UK telephone line company.

Several times in the recent past I have had calls from someone claiming to be from my isp stating that my contract was coming up for renewal and offering me a new deal. These calls repeated and I told them I didn't do deals over the phone and told them to write to me. When I challenged them to identify themselves they stated they could give me my internet account details. The caller had an Asian accent but I was not going to give out any details like cc info, or arrange anything by phone.

I'm very wary nowadays as I have been involved with various scams (not as a scammer of course Very Happy ) where people have got victim's cc or debit card details over the phone and then cleared their accounts, and you have a lot of trouble getting your money back under those circumstances.

I've decided to post this warning as I have now had a call from someone now claiming to be my line provider, and they used my real name. My number is not in any directory, or posted with my real number. It took me by surprise because it was an African voice, and though I use the line for baiting, obviously I don't hand out my real name at all.

Interestingly they claimed to be offering me a broadband deal, and I presume that if they were my line provder they'd know that already, as I pay the isp through the line provider.

It seems pretty clear that two major companies (my isp and telephone line provider) are having their databases sold on for use by scammers. I'm not suggesting that the companies themselves are doing it, but be VERY VERY careful about any calls claiming to be from your isp or line provider, and never ever give card details to someone over the phone you haven't identified very carefully. Just knowing your account details is not enough.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd suggest going to V**gin or S*y .... but I really can't recommend either! They're as bad as one another on service Sad
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There was a story in the news last month about this. Ex, or disgruntled employees of phone companies were selling customer details held on computer to rivals, who were then contacting them with better deals just before the contracts came up for renewal.

It's a sign of the times.

"No amount of semen donation will save this situation" Sanny Sanny
"We must disagree to agree" Raji Musa

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe being on this forum has made us all cynical (which is maybe a good thing) but when I was called by AmEx offering to consolidate my other credit cards and take all the details over the phone, I was suspicious.

They had a free=phone number but, really, nothing that couldn't be set up by a decent scammer group.

..but then, there is not a lot that can't be simulated and people's first reaction is to trust.

Purple Flower
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Gomer, I posted this in miscellaneous scams section the other day concerning UK phone/ISP users:

Quote:
Just posting this here so it gets some extra Google caching for any potential victims to find, story from the UK:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20091214/ttc-cold-call-scam-warning-issued-e1d36ba.html

Quote:
'Cold call scam' warning issued

Computer users are being warned to be on their guard against a "cold calling scam" that could leave their bank details available to criminals.

The magazine Which? Computing said it had heard from people around the country who had been called by scammers pretending to be from the computer software giant Microsoft or an internet service provider.

Some victims had their bank accounts emptied as a result of the con.

The ruse works by making people think that their computer has a virus. The "problem" is then fixed by a series of steps which ends with the scammers being allowed remote access to the computer.

To add insult to injury, people are also asked to provide their credit card details in order to pay a fee for the repair.

Which? Computing has reported the scam to the police central e-crime unit and Microsoft.

Jaclyn Clarabut, assistant editor of Which? Computing, said the magazine had received about 10 calls from around the country but it was aware that trading standards officers were also receiving some.

She thought there were only a handful of cases where people were defrauded.

"We wanted to draw attention to this before the situation gets any worse," she said.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's very intersting Scam Patroller.

The unnerving thing in my case is that they must have access to the phone company's database as I only use my landline for baiting, and there is no record connecting my real name to my number anywhere else.

It's not a problem to me as I'm only going to give anyone calling that number abuse of one form or another, but it's just a warning for people to be careful with callers, and never give out personal information without positively identifying them. The fact that they know who you are is not enough.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic