SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Is there really NO way to stop these assholes??

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
wannab8
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I watched the Dateline special, and I know that a lot of these people are in internet cafes and thus are incredibly difficult to track down, but there has to be SOME way to catch these guys. Being aware that these people are using public computers in most cases to commit these crimes, aren't there ways to monitor their activity? I don't know, like I said I understand these people are incredibly difficult to catch, but the american and nigerian feds ought to be teaming up to catch these guys. I mean for heaven's sake if ordinary people can bait them and get their bank accounts shut down, the FBI is more than capable of taking it further I would think.
foo
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The thing is, they're a lot more willing to give out bank accounts (which can be closed at worst) than their real addresses.

Is it illegal in Nigeria for an unmarked police officer to pretend to join a lad group to get evidence against them? I imagine they'd be less protective around people they think are friends.

Unopenable image file | mtcntool | IBMP

"Having acknowledge your email with the content well noted and understood,see we have had enough off this shit from you." --Lamido Sanusi
"i want to scam you ! please understand . i am scamer !" --a scamer
"shit happens. but there's always a silver lining" --Slightly
weareborg
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It can be stopped in less then a day, If money transfers, required solid identification, before any money changed hands. But that won't happen
while there making money on the transfer.
The other way is for these governments to ban the use of Western onion or Money grab. And force the agency's to close.

Resistance is futile
assimilation is paramount
Why am I such an evil bastard, Mum said I take after my father

My mum to betray to you huge hi,
You have changed my world and you makes me so Un-happy! Everyone around me can see that!
I wished to eat.... Has opened a refrigerator... But, in it it is empty.... Now I am compelled to go to shop...
To my girlfriend 30 years yesterday were executed, and was very cheerful.sounds like a dead party
Honey I understand all our complexities in our meeting! We should overcome them!!! Please,
do not look back, only forward!!! We together will pass fire, water and copper pipes SHIT not the copper pipes
bumsnacks
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately no. Like it has been posted before, not every scammer is from africa. They are spread all over the world. Laws are different everywhere. While I am not saying what they are doing is condoned by law anywhere, the focus on this type of crime might not as tight as else where. Get one arrested, and 3 more pop up. They go to different internet cafes. I dream of a time where everyone is baiting the same lad because he/she is the only one left. But it won't happen this year or the next.
The only thing we can do is try to protect the unknowing by wasting the time of the lads and educating the public.
The fake checks/money orders I have received I have taken to work to be used in our bank teller training. (After I blacked out all ITP information). The trainer was happy to have them so that it can be stopped on the front line before someone gets hurt.
wannab8
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bumsnacks wrote:

The fake checks/money orders I have received I have taken to work to be used in our bank teller training. (After I blacked out all ITP information). The trainer was happy to have them so that it can be stopped on the front line before someone gets hurt.

That is pretty cool! do you really have them send you fake checks? how does that work? do u set up a PO box? I thought they were pretty insistent on getting a real money clearance from their victim and after that was solid and squared away you never hear from them again?

but the ones that do send fake checks to real victims.... oh holy hell that's gotta cause some hardcore issues for the victim trying to cash a fake check.... *sigh*
foo
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

wannab8 wrote:
but the ones that do send fake checks to real victims.... oh holy hell that's gotta cause some hardcore issues for the victim trying to cash a fake check.... *sigh*

The idea is that they send you a certain amount then ask you to send half of that back to them. By the time the check bounces they've already got half of the nonexistent money, and you get stuck having to pay it back.

Random thought: Not that I condone cashing fake checks at all, but I'm curious: what if you took the check into a non-bank place (most corner stores around here cash checks, for example) and cashed it there? Would it still be somehow linked to you or your bank account?

Unopenable image file | mtcntool | IBMP

"Having acknowledge your email with the content well noted and understood,see we have had enough off this shit from you." --Lamido Sanusi
"i want to scam you ! please understand . i am scamer !" --a scamer
"shit happens. but there's always a silver lining" --Slightly
wannab8
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

The idea is that they send you a certain amount then ask you to send half of that back to them. By the time the check bounces they've already got half of the nonexistent money, and you get stuck having to pay it back.

yeah that almost happened to me. I actually just posted about it lol it was for a nanny job i found on craigslist
Tigbitties
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think one of the best weapons against scammers is education of the general public about online scamming. Here in the UK, the government have starting looking teaching school children about the dangers of the internet and how to safely surf online.

Clicky

Perhaps for the older children they could include information about online scams too. If more people were educated about these scams, there would be far fewer victims.

But for now that's all wishful thinking. So in the meantime, here is my solution on how to stop these assholes.

Click here for Singing Lads and listen to the back catalogue for talented lads singing. Includes Bohemian Rhapsody, Postman Pat, The Lumberjack Song, Nellie the Elephant, Old Macdonald Had a Farm, Money - That's what I Want and many more.
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

foo123 wrote:
... Random thought: Not that I condone cashing fake checks at all, but I'm curious: what if you took the check into a non-bank place (most corner stores around here cash checks, for example) and cashed it there? Would it still be somehow linked to you or your bank account?
At least where I live, one would have to show valid photo ID in order to cash the cheque or receive an advance on it. Most small businesses no longer accept cheques as an unacceptable proportion end up being dishonoured but there are some non bank finance agencies (loan and credit sharks) who would. I'm absolutely certain that a bad cheque would come around to repeatedly bite your ass not too long after Wink

thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

wannab8 wrote:
That is pretty cool! do you really have them send you fake checks? how does that work? do u set up a PO box?

Yes, although a PO box is usually not anonymous enough. It requires research and great care.
Quote:
I thought they were pretty insistent on getting a real money clearance from their victim and after that was solid and squared away you never hear from them again?

If only it were that easy. Once the scammers find a willing victim they cling on tight until they have bled them dry. If the victim stops responding to the first scam, then they try others, such as the Recovery scam where they pretend to be Law Enforcement and say they can recover the lost money... for a fee.
Quote:
To my mind it is the most evil of all the scams. When using WU, all the scammers can do is take money until their victim has maxed out credit for themselves, their family and their friends. With one bad check the victim can be in such debt that they can never recover. We have seen cases where victims are out well over $100,000. Then the bank calls in the feds and accuses the victim of fraud. If they are lucky then someone recognises the signs of advance fee fraud. If they are unlucky they go to prison.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Sure way to stop them un-invent electricity. Confused

Closed lad accounts 100+45:goat: Easter Egg

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
Dya Reyarunen-Downmeleg
** REMEMBERED **

Location: At the toilet door yelling are you almost done in there? Oops, too late...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Wannab8! Welcome to Eater! if you want to collect up fake cheques and have other things sent to you by scammers there is a safe and easy way to do that. Check this out for more info...<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
Happy baiting!

Closed lad accounts x163 Easter Egg 2011 Easter Egg Easter Egg 2013 Goat Goat Goat Golden Goat Mc Fry Purple Flower Mortar Elite Ninja Team Member

so as to enable the conclusion of this transaction on your behalf since you are not dead because if you are dead you would not have write me because I know that never will a dead
write to living...
I could receive the document official which you want to forward me for adhesion with TW@T
I am captivated, impressed and hypnotised with your sincerity
This you’re TW@T has it existed some how somewhere before?
Your ASSCODE is: 999-035-2655

"I Am Not a Justin Beiber Fan" innocent.being

Steward, WTF?

SAY NO TO SCURVY
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wannab8 wrote:
Being aware that these people are using public computers in most cases to commit these crimes, aren't there ways to monitor their activity?

It's a very different story in Africa than it is in the West.
There's a BBC video out somewhere (can't find it at the moment) that shows a raid on a cyber-cafe in Lagos. The cops had to go in tooled up like SWAT and when they came out, they had to come out shooting as a crowd had gathered and started stoning them. They departed quickly in thier vehicles with rocks raining down on them and bullets spraying wildly.
If I can find the video, I'll post it.

In the meantime, you'll find another one here. This one is a Australian and a little tamer:

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/scam-free-internet-dont-get-scammed/368ee806259688f9cc50fc601964b53b

As you can see from the 1st video, the response to the raid is pretty much the same as the scenario in the BBC one that I've described - crowds throwing stones and cops shooting.

Unfortunately, it's a lot more complicated than just going into the cyber-cafes and dragging them out. Going to arrest a lad is literally a military operation.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's the BBC video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISMgGdaGOJM

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Master of Puppets
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Devil Woman: They don't need electricity to scam, they'll just start sending out letters by post (again).

FrumpyBB
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We are only normal citizens and all volunteers. Education is best - baiting is also very good. Even if it stresses other aspects, it also educates readers, who originally came to this subject/website to find out about that carved C64/those mean Abeche safaris.
I´m certain that I, in summer 2006, would not have read a bone-dry article about online fraud - I definitely and repeatedly studied other texts : To find out about Ahmed Sadiq´s tattoo, the George W. Bush bait and the Shiver artwork baits. Just alongside that I got to know about everything Scamwarners is all about. And many thousands of other people since then.

Safari Dan the lotto man, ARK mugu wedding
Safari Dennis the hitman, co-bait w/ Murry Guru
Safari Zake (w/ SH, SL & Craig)
Safari x 5 Modeling Mugu Meeting, w/ mewing_ghecko & Otterfan & SSC
Safari x 2 another MMM w/ SH
Safari x 13 Later shows and trips for the benefit of M00seknuckle, incl. the 0budu Fact Finding Mission

Come to our Eater University Baiting Tutorials Hello Kitty! pony Cos you deserve it. Smile Mortar x5 Closed lad accounts x50+ Sand Timer x 4 -- T.W.A.T Goat Easter Egg 2013
drab
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In the unlikely event you can get them to disclose their real identity and have evidence linking them to a crime, yes they can be stopped. See this thread: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175826

"I did not ask your to sendme money gram form and shit"
"you can see now that you are a big fool"
"did you know that you are what you send to me"
"DO U HAVE MONEY THAN JESUS??? U ARE A DEAD MAN LOOKIN FOR WHO TO TAKE ALONG GO FUCK UR MUM HOLE
DEAD PIG"
"You are a fool and your mama is an idiot"
"please i can't understant who is the devil, i need help from you. GOD bless you."
"DIE IN HELL MURDER FUCKER"
"hello i is time 4 u to stop being a punk go 4k ur mum in hell"
"i can u feed u fool and ur entire blood fucking familly"
"U THINK I WILL EVER GAVE SUCH ILLITRATE LIKE U MY NUMBER
I GAVE U M GIRL FRIEND`s NO"
bumsnacks
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@wanna
It does cause some hardcore issues when cashing a fake check. Especially if the check looks legit. I don't know where you live, but around here you can go to any office supply store and get some blank checks where you can print anything on them using a computer. The paper is real, what is written on them is not. There was a gentleman I know that lost thousands of dollars using the check scam. The FBI contacted him because they found some counterfiet money orders with his name and address on them. The money orders hadn't even been mailed to him yet. He was being set up again.

Intentionally cashing a counterfeit/fraudulent check could be considered a felony (depending on the money and where it is cashed). Attempt to defraud, adding and abeitng the commission of a felony, felony theft just to name a few of the charges.

That is what the cops could do. What your financial institution could do is pretty much give your account and any account you would like to open, a death sentence.

It is just best to mark the checks as void, fake, counterfeit or make it impossible to cash ASAP. That way no one gets in trouble with them. Hell, if you want to, set them on fire and dance around them naked if you fell like it. Smile
Ophelia Dikki
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

or collect them and use to wallpaper your house Laughing

Proud member of the "Todger Club"
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^MOP

Quote:
they'll just start sending out letters by post (again).

More work that theyh jhave ever done before, and just think of the cost of snail mail!

I have trying to access the confirmation code but it always stated Errow Anthony Hills Togo
I am pissing out and off my brain seemed shattered of several thoughts and implications this is really taken much time and am afraid. Sgt Allen Nigeria
r2d2
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bumsnacks wrote:
Hell, if you want to, set them on fire and dance around them naked if you fell like it. Smile

and be sure to post the video Smile

NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wannab8 wrote:
...the FBI is more than capable of taking it further I would think.

The one sentence answer to that is: The FBI have no jurisdiction over Nigeria or any other West African countries.

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
MilkyWhite
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That was some video posted by slightlyoutofit, shows what we are up against, not just criminals but a culture of criminality accepted and protected by the Nigerian public Mad , I think the guy right at the end is a little self deluded when he claims that they are winning the war though Shocked
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ As long as the cash keeps flowing and the authorities remain apathetic, they are winning the "war".

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
devil_woman
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They are trying BUT who would like to be a policeman armed or not when walking home alone?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic