SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Help!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
bundtcake2
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was recently job hunting when I came across a "personal assistant" ad asking for help with sending orders and doing their personal shopping for them. I soon came to realize this was a scam based on what I have read here. I have not cashed any of the checks they were sending, nor have I given them any banking information or my ssn. I have however given them my address and phone number. I'm worried this was too much information. What should I do in order to stay safe?
Bolleboos
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You should not bait them yourself then. Politely tell them that you are no longer interested in their offer.

You have nothing to worry about, you've done nothing to piss them off.
If they sent you stuff and they want it back, give it back.

Miss Ariana Hani: "it seem your balls contains up to 6 eggs that i should destroy with a baseball stick and weep your spinal code so you die"
Mandaline Randy: "i gave you my heart body mind and soul but you did not value it imagine if you were me how would you feel beby its pain ful i was just rooming in the money gram as if am a mad girl while you knows my condition its unfear"
bundtcake2
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I told them I wasn't able to do the task because I had just found another job. Their check arrived that same day, now I have no idea what to do. Do I send it back? Shred it? Contact the police? I'm very confused, and getting a bit scared.
meloncoly
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd report it to the bank, I'm sure the customer would like to know who is trying to steal their money. Don't send them anything back
Caligula
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You just got the check? Nothing to worry about. Just stop communicating, you said you were no more interested, and that's that. If the check is fake, just shred it and throw it in the trash. He will leave you alone when he figures out you're not going to give any money.

Going Gold?
Post scripts at scamwarners!
Kill a fake site today!
Bolleboos
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Relax. They have no reason (or time) to be angry with you.

You can just ask them what to do with the cheque. If it is _from_ themselves, you can probably just shred it. If it is from someone else and they passed it on to you, they probably want it back.

Just don't cash it.

Edit: MOD, Should this thread be moved into HH&T?

@meloncoly: "Don't send them anything back" - I would say don't give them a reason to dislike you.
@caligula: You can't really tell whether a cheque is fake, and it may take weeks or months to bounce.

Also, rather than us sending mixed signals, maybe a mod can work with bundtcake2 in private.

Miss Ariana Hani: "it seem your balls contains up to 6 eggs that i should destroy with a baseball stick and weep your spinal code so you die"
Mandaline Randy: "i gave you my heart body mind and soul but you did not value it imagine if you were me how would you feel beby its pain ful i was just rooming in the money gram as if am a mad girl while you knows my condition its unfear"

Last edited by Bolleboos on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
bundtcake2
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Will it hurt me that they have my address, email, phone number and name?
luckey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Not to worry, check scammers are used to things going belly up, usually after the first few checks get returned, but often because people learn it's a scam. They won't spend time or money to go after you if you just ignore them. They'd much rather put their energy into recruiting new victims.

Did you receive/forward any packages?

bundtcake2
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I received a check via fedex delivery, I called the bank and they told me the account is legitimate. Obviously I know this is still a scam, but now I have a check for $2800 sitting in front of me and no idea what to do with it. Do I just shred it up? Do I send it back? Do I do nothing?
luckey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tear it up, or mark it fake or void in big letters. The account could be good, but the check could still be forged or stolen. Whatever you do, don't try to cash or deposit it. That's a crime, and the banks will probably take a hard line with you, regardless of where the check came from originally.

Edit: Even if the check "clears" that does not mean that the bank has assumed responsibility. They are required by law to give you access to funds on deposit within a few days. Weeks or months later when the check is rejected by the issuing bank or a clearing house, you will be required to pay the money back and you may face criminal charges.

Last edited by luckey on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Tear it up, or mark it fake or void in big letters.

Burn it. Wink

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
luckey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Laughing

But not indoors. Take advantage of the guaranteed safety of the great outdoors. Wink

bundtcake2
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I tore it up, threw it out, and I'm going to ignore the scammers from here on out. Any other precaution I should take?
luckey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^That should take care of it. Very Happy

Now it's time for revenge. Read up, get a mentor and give some other scammer hell. It's a lot of fun, costs nothing (besides time), and does some good in the process.

Padme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would also add that if you do get "threats", be aware that they are only that. No one will really come to your door, sue you, get you arrested, etc. You can check the email headers and see where they really are based on their IP. You have not taken any of their money and the fake checks are gone. They do not have the time (or resources) to fly from wherever they are to get to wherever you are.

If you get a threat that is particularly disturbing (ie you can see from the headers that they are near you --I've NEVER seen this, btw), you can call authorities, but for now, I'd just relax, ignore them, and do as the other members have wisely advised.

Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Sand Timer x2 Vcamera Acra>Sngpre Acra>Dkr>Rsso>Bmko>Kpndo>Ctnu -Team Woody
Safari Sand Timer Akure>Kano -Amos
Safari x8 Sand Timer x2 Vcamera Owerri>Maiduguri>Owerri>Lagos>Lomé>Bmko>Kolokani Bmko>Nioro>Bmko>Timbuktu>Bmko>Youri Bmko>Mauritania>Kidira>Dakar>Jail -Team Godwin
Safari 's - assorted West Africa safaris, Cyril w/ Spindrift, France-Dublin w/ DSW
Easter 2015 Mortar Closed lad accounts Jack Boot Whip Whip Vcamera Mc Fry Goat Santa Flying Monkey
Bolleboos
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bundtcake2 wrote:
[...] I'm very confused, and getting a bit scared.
bundtcake2 wrote:
[...] Any other precaution I should take?

I think baiting a nice refugee orphan or rich dying widow would take your mind off your worries.

Fixya
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You did the right thing. It is quite normal to feel nervous and scared when you receive a cheque like that in the mail. The scammer is counting on your greed to deposit and send them back the difference. as Bolleboos said, go and bait an ex dictators family member and all will be good again.

"[...] as nursing students in general are nontraditional students. We hold ourselves to a higher standard. Honesty, integrity, and excellence are not just a motto, or a guideline for us, they are second nature to us. [...]"
<b>- Michael Boyd</b>
<i>MyBankAccountIsXXXXXX</i>
<i>People Talk Laughing</i>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic