SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Postcards

View next topic
View previous topic

Spindly Killerfish
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm getting a load of 'postcards' on my collection accounts, I never open them. What is the score, are they introductions/icebreakers, viruses or what?
Confused
S.K.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hard to say ... BUT never ever open an attachment on a dodgy email unless you have a 100% risky free anti-virus scanner programme ... and that does not exist!
Jammy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hard to say without an example. If it's got a questionable attachment, definitely don't answer it.

However, the lads will resort to anything to send their initial script out. A while ago I got a rash of "Soandso thinks you'll be interested in this website!" type emails, with their whole script cut and pasted into the "personal message" section. More recently, my catcher accounts have gotten a ton of Yahoo Schedule "invitations", again with the script pasted into the text box.

Perhaps these "postcards" are the same? An online postcard service, that the lads are abusing to spam their scripts?

Published Bait: The Miseducation of Chief Mrs Watusi FBI Mrs
Happy_Slacker
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Its not just postcards, but also lads seem to use the yahoo calender message, and other yahoo invites. Plus I have received attachments recently both in ms word(.doc) and plain text(.txt) format, containing their script.

Yes I know that opening such attachments are a no-no, and I don't run any kind of anti-virus software, but I open these types of mails anyways because for one, I am not running Windows while doing this (but rather Slackware Linux), and two I can still post the scams.

Hell even if some lads are feeling malicious enough to at least harm a victim's pc if they can't scam them, they wouldn't succeed with me ever. Kinda hard to hax a system when it is running as non-root under a NAT router not replying to any incoming ping requests, nor are there any open ports. Give it your best shot laddie! *sticks out tongue* *THTHTHPTHPTHPHTPHT!*
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There are viruses (actually trojans) that infect by pretending to be online greetings-cards.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Happy_Slacker
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I have seen those before. I got a few mails from "greetings.com" on my catcher account stating someone sent me a card.
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I never open greeting cards. Thud is right, easy to hide trojans in them. I think they are usually phishers, or others trying to zombie your pc and turn it into a spamming machine or DDoS machine. You can't bait them in the usual sense. They just want to infect your pc, grab info, and control it. Maybe some standard 419ers are using them for script, but given past history, I avoid opening them like the plague. There are plenty of other lads to play with.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari [email protected] & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & [email protected] - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Happy_Slacker
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just another note: It seems yahoo has a built in virus scanner, so each attachment that I do choose to open from a 419 email automatically gets checked on their end. *shrug*
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One scan with one AV program is not a 100% risky-free indication that an attachment is clean. Scanners miss things, it might not have a definition written for it, or it could be an undetectable or unscanned for rootkit. Am I paranoid?
Sure, with reason, as I had to reformat my hard disc a few months ago, even though I have AV and antimalware running realtime. I'm still not positive whether it was an accidental opening of an email attachment, or visiting the wrong website.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari [email protected] & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & [email protected] - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Craig007
rude right wing fascist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Machines are only as good as the people that programme them. It's always best to use your own caution rather than relying on a bit of software to be vigilant for you.

If it's starkingly obvious, I wouldn't think it's a good idea to "test" your AV. I see my AV there as a last line of defence, if something sneaks in that isn't so blatant.

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
Happy_Slacker
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

True, and on my end I don't run a virus scanner. Do I really need a virus scanner for Linux? Wink

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic