SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Im having a hard time telling if this is a scam.

View next topic
View previous topic

jammel6
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am selling a computer on craigslist. One of the payment options i am allowing is Paypal. one of the emails i received is from an Anita James ([email protected]). She offered to buy my item using PayPal.

This is what she said

Quote:
I am interested in your item as a birthday gift for a penpal in west Africa,i would have love to pay you cash but presently i am embarking on a journey that is why i am willing to pay with paypal cos it is safe and more secure i want you to know that i would be paying the sum of $1,300 and that would include shipping.i would like you to send it through USPS Express Mail International,if you are interested pls get back to me with a money request from your paypal account to [email protected]. Sent on the Sprint┬« Now Network from my BlackBerry┬«

I'm smart enough to not ship before i get paid. I am also smart enough to take the money out before they are able to reverse the payment.

What do you guys think?
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, the email address doesn't produce any negative hits on Google.

Are you selling your laptop for 1300? What does her paypal profile show? Lastly, the bit about it being a present - that would make me wonder if she could be a victim of some kind - but that is only musing aloud.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Ima Baeder
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It looks like an overpayment scam.

The first hint is that it's a "gift for a penpal in West Africa". The second clue is mentioning "your item" in general and not specifically. This, though, is the bit that makes me think it's a scam:

Quote:
i would be paying the sum of $1,300 and that would include shipping

This type of scam doesn't usually involve a scammer mentioning using USPS services but he may have a trick up his sleeve. I'd caution you to move forward carefully.

Please read the forum at our sister site, http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/index.php to learn more about these types of scams. Overpayment scams are described in the section on fraudulent checks, here: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3237

You can ask back here or at ScamWarners if/when you get further information from him.

Edited to add: You may also want to read this topic. Scammers have been known to steal your item by "buying" it on Craigslist. Since you're selling a computer that may fit the bill. Some of the other warning signs are definitely there: http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3567&p=13485&hilit=paypal#p13485

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
judgeboo
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Another thing they do (in a Paypal based scam) is to send a fake email from Paypal confirming that funds have been deposited but are held in escrow (a service which PPal does NOT provide) until you send the tracking number.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic