SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

google search

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Noah Bode
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all

I've seen most of you try hard to mask and 1337ify certain words and phrases so they don't show up on google searches, yet no matter what I search using google, if is related to scam ofc, 419eater usually gets pretty good placement in results.
Wouldn't it be more effective and far simpler for everybody just to forbid google to crawl around certain pages?
It's just few lines of text in robots.txt and no more worries. Confused
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We want most of it to show up in Google as that helps to spread the word about scams and prevent victims. When there are specific things we don't want showing up, we just leet that word. Some of the baiter tools we don't want the lads to find have word filters so they are automatically leeted.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Noah Bode
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thx for reply
ah well.. I guess I'll just have to buy myself a d1ct10n@ry Confused
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing

Excessive leeting can be very annoying. It also messes with adaptive software used by members with a vision impairment. We encourage members to just not post information that isn't necessary (such as a lad address and names for ongoing baits) or to simply leet one letter of words that are uncommon.

I tend to skip over posts in which members have used excessive leeting.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Noah Bode
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My point exactly.
It's hard to read so I somehow tend not to read the leeted words (not just on these forums, but in general) which means I sometimes get the wrong picture of what is being said.

That's why I thought that restricting spiders would be good, but I won't push it any more.
Suggestion is here and if admins decide it's not in their interest, it's their call I guess.
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I understand your point but it's not about admin interest. We keep most of the forum searchable in the interest of potential victims. Many people have been prevented from losing money by learning about scams in general here or have been lead here when searching a specific word/name/email address.
The larger reason of why we do this, beyond entertainment, is to try to combat fraud. The best way to combat fraud is by increasing awareness.

(baiting them and killing their sites doesn't hurt the cause either. Wink )

Noah Bode
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I must accept your reasoning.
Is there a link or a list of generally acceptable words and the no-nos?
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There isn't a list. The baiter created and shared tools with proper names here are usually leeted to prevent any search-savvy lads from finding them and spoiling the work that has gone into them. The forum will auto leet some of them via word filters. What else to disguise is up to you. If you want to post about your bait and don't want your lad to find it, just don't put his full name or email address in the post. The same goes for your baiter name. Common names won't matter as there will be tons of hits in a search.

Tastysnack
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well...then of course there is the one we never name...

"you are the must fool i have ever seen fuck you like the 12.5 million idoit dont write me again" Radebe Gumede 7-16-09 after his bank transfer failed.

"Sorry we do not know Mr. Gomer. Send that email fromthe so called gomer to us for scrutiny."- Devati Mooleedhar

SON OF A DOG GO EAT SHIT AND DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOSERRRRRRRRR.GET A LIFE--Bakar Saud (After Mr. Gomer chopped his dolla')

YOU ATE OUR MONEY AND YOU START MOCKING US--Bishop Anthony

Fake Checks Received= $63,487 US
Noah Bode
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tastysnack wrote:
Well...then of course there is the one we never name...

Thanks for pointing it out. I'll make sure I never mention Lord Volde....
oops Embarassed Did I just bring destruction and death upon us all?
wokabo
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Smile

Fight My Brute
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I find the obfuscation annoying. I think that if a bait or baiting tool is that important or sensitive to a baiter then either he or she need not post it until it is over or should be clever enough not to post sensitive bits that can be Googled on the forums.

I have long advocated that all lads are called 'Ted' for that very purpose, and when I take over the world I will make it so.

That a victim being able to find us and learn the truth about a scam, as Ima pointed out, is far more important than a bait going south because the baitee searched for terms on the internet.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ before she settled down my daughter used to call all her boyfriends "Bob", it avoided a lot of potential embarrasment. Not that she had that many Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing TS
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Prefect time to point out that 90% of the obfuscating I've seen is just not necessary. Sometimes I think people do it just to use leet. That's fine, just annoying.

For the most part I think people do it because they don't know any better and are worried about getting a "can you please leet that name" reply. One thing, if it's your bait then it's your call. If you are using a baiter made tool, like those answer a mess of silly questions before you get your MTCN tools, then this should be masked or obfuscated. Pretty much everything else is good to go as is.

It wasn't too long ago some asked about using celerity pictures. Some one replied that they used so and so's picture and masked the celebrity's name. What's that about? He used the picture not the name. Even if he was using the celebrities name, do you have any idea how many hits will be found?

Anyway, my main point is 90% of everything obfuscated, if left alone would get tens of thousands of hits at least and none would end up here or if so, it would be post 45,769. You really think a lad will look that hard?

If a lad is using the name Peters Williams, I don't think anything needs to be done to it. Anyway, it would be better and easier to read if you just left his name out and referred to him as your or the lad.

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
Stepan Fetchit
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OMG!!!! It must be senility....I'm actually agreeing with MODS.

<A href="http://www.dragonladies.org/bbs">Dragonladies.org</a>
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dare I hope that soon we will see far less L-thirty-three-T stuff around here?

(FYI, that's how my screen reader reads "l33t.")

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic