SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Across Canada by Viarail?

View next topic
View previous topic

Roycropper
Undead Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone done this? Me, Hayley and her workmate Mrs S (who came with us on the 'round the World with a rucksac' gig) are booking to do it next year. We have about 3 weeks, and are still at the planning phase.

We will land at JFK, and use rail or air to get to Toronto. Then its by rail for 3 days (bunks & meals thrown in) on the Canadian LINK accross Canada as far as Jasper. Here we get off to find we missed the train to Price Rupert by 5 minutes, and the next one isnt for 2 days. WTF? Why do they do this? Maybe theres only one platform. LINK This train travels by day, and stops at Prince George for the night, at least we don't miss the Rocky Mountain scenery. Never been on a train that was afraid of the dark before.

Red line, going West, then yellow line.

We end up getting off the train at Prince Rupert, near the Canada / Alaskan border, then we may go up to Jeaneau by ferry, and work our way back to NYC by air via Seattle. We were going to Anchorage until we realised the ferry takes days. It won't be cheap, but we're good at travelling and living on a low budget. If God had meant us to stay at home, he wouldn't have invented rucksacs.

And we don't need the ladies
Crying 'cuz the storie's sad
'Cuz the Rocky Mountain Way
Is better than the way we had

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey

Last edited by Roycropper on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carlos Dominquez
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Never done this but it looks great. Smile
Cougar
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Roy

One of my friends at work came back from a similar trip just last week, she and her husband booked onto a group trip across Canada to celebrate her birthday (49+1, ouch). Their trip finished in Vancouver and they weren't backpacking, but I think those are the only differences. Just racking my brains, I don't think she found one bad or negative thing to say about it, they had a fantastic time, totally loved it. Brought back some great photos and made everone jealous! It looks a beautiful country. Cool

Oh yes - the food portions are massive, you won't go hungry! One of the photos was of her husband sitting outside a cafe with a slice of apple pie - I swear, it was as big as his head. Shocked Also she said the steaks are really good, and they have about 13 different ways of cooking them - "medium medium rare" anyone? How about "blue"?

I'll ask her if she's got any tips and will pass them on. Definitely if you visit the Columbia Ice Field wear something WARM (duh), and be prepared to fall on your bum. Just don't do it while the cameras are out. Laughing

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never done the trip.. don't have too.. only 4 hr drive from Jasper. When going through Saskatchewan... you can sleep during that time, you aren't missing anything... I make that drive monthly... and I have to keep pricking myself awake... thank goodness for cruise control.. then I can sleep all the way to my destination loll Nothing but straight roads and flat fields.. stand on the top of a building and you can see manitoba or alberta loll

Enjoy your planning and enjoy the trip.... fall is the best time for the mountians... seeing the forest changing colors is marvelous.

<a href="http://www.scamwarners.com/main/fx_images/SmokinKrabbs_a569b695c888.jpg">[Very First Trophy... I'm so proud!]</a>
"Oh my... that's a big one!!!"
No one knew what she was looking at, but she never took her eyes off it. (Fatespinner)

Blessed Be and Squishy O's

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I love Canada. Great people and pretty good fishing, but the fish are smart, ehhh. The National Parks around Jasper are amazing and I don't think two days are enough. You do need transportation out of Jasper though. Banff is worth the drive! The last time I drove to Banff and Edmonton, I put 4500 miles on the car. I don't know if you have done long train rides. Its fun for a while but does wear on you. You would have to be really into trains to do the 12 days in 30 thing, ehhhh. I've done the train through the Rockies, the White Horse Pass excursion and the sleeper cars. Actually, could have done without the sleeper car thing. One thing to consider for about the same amount is the cruise northbound from Vancouver or Seattle to Anchorage via Juneau and a lot of other stops. You can end it at Denali or Fairbanks but the actual port is Seward. There's a train that the ships supply to portage you to Anchorage. I resisted doing it until the previous summer and just loved every minute of it.

My little girl once lost her one of her trainers in the terminal moraine of the Columbia Ice field. Simply an amazing experience. A drive up the hill from the old lodge while looking at dates on the signs showing where the edge of the ice field was should end all discussions of the "possibilities" of global warming. I recommend that everyone go see it and Glacier National Park before the glaciers melt.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic