SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Craiglist temporary rental scams

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Varina
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, everybody,

I wanted to let you know about the many scammers running operations right now at Craiglist, in the Vacation and Sublets/Temporary sections.

They write ads geared towards people searching for temporary accommodation in big cities such as London, Los Angeles and New York. Here are two examples of scams, posted by the same people:

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/vac/1300068178.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/vac/1341115714.html

The first apartment info has been pilfered from a legitimate ad (a common occurrence):

http://www.cyberrentals.com/rental/p417763i?uni_id=1018878

Craiglist washes its hands posting warnings that ask people to deal locally. At the same time, these ads are precisely for people who are outside of the city in question, and thus perfect for the scammers.

I have contacted a few of these lads and the history is always the same, they want money up front, usually via Moneygram, Western Union or Paypal.

There are many of these ads everyday. And many people are falling for them:

http://goodhardworkingpeople.blogspot.com/2009/02/warning-for-travelers-apartment-scam.html

Some ads can be flagged and will be removed by Craiglist. Others, no matter what one does, will remain there, enticing unsuspecting renters. A shame.
chompy
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That scam is all over Gumtree in the UK too.

If fact I'm just messing with one scammer who has eventually sent a fake passport and ID to me "So I can trust him"

Shame the owner of the passport was found on facebook lol - He already knew about his alter ego...

Don't trust anyone who wants money through WU!

One of his emails below...Once beaten twice shy - love it..

Hello Chris,
The only way for me to confirm that you are capable of renting the apt is for you to get the first month rent and the security deposit send to me via western union money transfer to your friend or anybody that you trust within London here , and scan the receipt for me to see to and confirm from western union and after i confirm it,i will email you to tell the receiver to pick it up and i will be on my way too ,then i will be sure that you have the money to get the apartment. Its for the safety of both parties but am very sure that you will like the apartment. I am NOT asking you to send money to me but to anybody that you trust .ONCE BEATEN TWICE SHY ,I think you understand my position.
The charges that you make at western union will be refunded back to you if you dont like the apartment and if you like the apartment
the money will be deducted from the balance you will pay me,i think you understand.
If you can do this Today or tomorrow and i see the receipt send to me,that means you will view the apartment tomorrow even you can move in tomorrow.

i am NOT asking you to send money to me, but to your friend/Girl Friend or any body that you trust within uk here. Afterward you will only scan and send me a copy of the receipt given at the western union for me to confirm and to see if the money is truly transfer and ready for pickup then once i can see that will email you immedietely and give you a call and leave Manchester for London to meet you and to show you in and out of the apartment.

N.B.
Am very sorry, but i dont want to waste my time due to my last experience...... and my lawyer told me again that i need to confirm that the money is available for pick up before i come over......I promise once
again even if you dont like the room, i will refund the western union charges and i will give you your transport money.... Please get the money send to me sen today or tomorrow and send me the receipt again.....

Awaiting your response,
Try my number 07045792485

Richard.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic