SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

New to forum..but already baited a scammer

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ihatescammers56
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there.
I have just joined this forum, having found it in a search for scam info. I was almost the victim of a scam on FB this afternoon. I was o FB and suddenly get the chat window open..my cousin saying hi. Then she said "I am having big trouble" I had genuine concern, as her huband is ill, and a close friend recently died suddenly. So I asked what was wrong.
The person then went on to say that they were in London, and were just mugged at knifepoint. She wanted me to wire money nd she would pay b right back OK..her the BIG HUGE bells went off. 1--I knew they were not in London (very ill husband), and I had just seen them a few days ago. So, I kept person talking while I called my brother ---Just to cofirm what to do and how to handle. Also called my husband.
All along I kept pressing for info..how they were, were they hurt, were police involved...had they called their kids. I then said, ever so politely "Listen, no offence but I need to be safe--please give me some personal info, so I know this is you." Silence..then Vince (cousin's husband) is back at hotel with pains" Fine..but her husbands name is on her FB account. I kept pressing for more personal information, Then the scammer went back to please send money, we have to get to airport, etc. Also said that embassy said it would take 3 weeks to help them.
I knew this was BS. So, after it had been about 20 minutes, I finally said, no..I know this is not you, you have not give me ay personal information....I cannot help you.
ScammedOut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank goodness you didn't fall for this. Unfortunately many people do.
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hopefully your cousin took steps to get their FB account closed or get control of it back. It sounds to me like their account has been hijacked...

AFIK, you can't chat of FB with people who are not listed as your friend. Maybe I am wrong on this one.

Your cousin needs to change their password and report it if their account was compromised. They also need to send something out to all of their friends telling them about the attempts to scam using their account.

Good catch, and welcome. Great job of checking the facts so you didn't get pulled in.

Read around here and learn about baiting safely! Very Happy

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Diablo
419Eater is my life

Location: Heaven Don't Want Me and Hell's Afraid I'll Take Over

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What is FB? Shocked Rolling Eyes

EDIT: Thanks slaphappy;)

Boardingpass generator
Deuzer's receipt generators
Get new scammer email addresses here

Closed lad accounts 2x (Hongkong, Tokyo) - by P@ul C0le
Closed lad accounts 3x (Accra, 2x New York) - by P@tr1k Men5@h
Closed lad accounts 4x by Others

Last edited by Diablo on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

FB=Facebook, Diablo. Wink
I'm glad you caught it to, ihatescammers56. It's very important to circulate this scam info to your friend and send out warnings. I'm sure he's tried or is going to try the same thing on all the other friends listed on her account.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Ihatescammers56
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What my cousin ended up doing was deactivating her Facebook account for now. She got a bit spooked by the whole thing, especially after finding out that several on her friends list were hit up by the scammer.
I did change my own password, and tightened my privacy settings. Now only people on my friends list can see what is on my account.
For the person who mentioned it..that is right, you can only chat with people on your friends list.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic