SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

How to paint concrete basement floor?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
riskyfreedeal
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We are in the process of trying to sell our house. Unfortunately, our cat had decided to use our basement utility room as a litter box and peed in places on the concrete floor. I have cleaned it very well with bleach, etc., but the stains still remain visually. I have come to the conclusion that painting over it may be the only way to make it aesthetically pleasing as well as sealed. I bought some Dutch Boy concrete paint last night, but will I need to etch or prime it? I'm sort of in a hurry with an open house in a couple of days, so I would like to skip unecessary steps, but at the same time don't want to skip essentials.

"It will be administered in acordance with strict rules and regulations known as "Rules of Incestacy." - Ian R33d

"LOOK MR MAN, WE DON'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS TO DO WITH MR. G0MER WHAT KIND OF HUMANBEN ARE YOU THAT WILL BE SO KEALESS AS YOU ARE."

"FOR CHRIST SAKE WE NEVER ASK YOU TO MAKE ANY TRANSACTION VIA WESTERN UNION S3CURE SH1ELD!"

"You are making the whole thing hard for your self"

"You call me for any other moral Discusion"

Closed lad accounts x5
bohigal
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Our basement has a concrete floor and gets wet once in a while. Mr. Bohigal painted it with an epoxy finish that I think is for garage floors. We spread it with a floor-painting sponge on the end of a broom handle and it dried in about 1.5 days. No pretreatment except for a good scrubbing with Simple Green. It came with sparkley flakes that I tossed onto the wet paint to make it more attractive (he said I looked like I was tossing fairy dust). The flakes are good for hiding imperfections in the floor or paint. So far the finish has held up to kids, dogs, dragged furniture, water, and a stack of cedar decking. Sorry I do not remember the brand, but we got it at Home Depot.

eta: Also sorry, I did not see that you already had the paint. I don't know about priming or etching concrete.

Stop typing in french, am seriously dissapointed....am just confused!!!
You will have my nuts in your hands as soon as i have the latrine in my hand & i will pay the goats to the lawyer
My dear with this only, it is clear you have contacted and communicated with Africa Fraudsters and even send funds to him. what a pity!
YOU ARE A WITCH. MAY YOU MENSURATE NON STOP TILL THE END OF YOUR LIFE
Golden PithSafari Mortar Tattoo Vcamera Closed lad accountsSand Timer Team Hector:Lagos-Douala,Benin-Liberia,Senegal-Gambia-Mali-Chad, Egypt ,Awka w/ Shorty
Sand Timer Sand Timer Shorty Safari Abidjan w/ Juan
Safari Bibian
Closed lad accounts Cellphone pony Mc Fry Mc Fry Easter Egg 2013
Donate to Eater
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I painted the basement in my last house using a product from the makers of DryLok. It says you should do that stuff for the prep work but it's just a basement so I just swept it and maybe mopped it (it's been 10 years) and it came out fine. The etching is really just to ensure the surface is super clean, as if you had something like say oil on it where it would interfere with adhesion of the paint. As long as you don't have anything like that, I would guess you'd be fine. Plus you aren't going to be there much longer anyway.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, if the floor has a glaze it would have to be etched, but since the cat pee was able to soak and stain, I don't think you need that step. Along the lines of etch, I have a driveway that the previous owner would wash and wax the car on. Its on a slope, was glazed over and people would slip on it when it was wet. Contractors said that it would have to be broken out and repoured with a broom finish. I brushed on a gallon of HCl (muriatic acid) from the pool supply and let it fume for about 20 minutes. The entire section was etched and solid white. It looked brand new. I then bought 3 more gallons for the rest of the driveway so it would match.

Priming would be needed if the paint soaks into the concrete before it dries. You will know and will just have to paint again. Its not a big deal, but the primer is generally cheaper than the paint.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
riskyfreedeal
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for all the tips.

I'm amazed that I've gotten more responses in a shorter amount of time from this forum than I actually have from home improvement forums, and better answers too. You guys rock! Just another reason why I love 419eater! Very Happy

"It will be administered in acordance with strict rules and regulations known as "Rules of Incestacy." - Ian R33d

"LOOK MR MAN, WE DON'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS TO DO WITH MR. G0MER WHAT KIND OF HUMANBEN ARE YOU THAT WILL BE SO KEALESS AS YOU ARE."

"FOR CHRIST SAKE WE NEVER ASK YOU TO MAKE ANY TRANSACTION VIA WESTERN UNION S3CURE SH1ELD!"

"You are making the whole thing hard for your self"

"You call me for any other moral Discusion"

Closed lad accounts x5
Tastysnack
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wouldn't paint it. Especially with an open house coming.

Paint can take DAYS to set up. Not going to look good with folks tromping through and big sheets of paint sticking to their shoes.

A better bet would be some very inexpensive carpet. Cut to fit the treads and put that down.

This has the potential to be a HUGE mess for you and the future owners.

BTW I ran a professional Paint Store for 8 years that sold over $1.5Million in paint per year. I know what I'm talking about. And I visited MANY basement paint failures. They never worked out well.

"you are the must fool i have ever seen fuck you like the 12.5 million idoit dont write me again" Radebe Gumede 7-16-09 after his bank transfer failed.

"Sorry we do not know Mr. Gomer. Send that email fromthe so called gomer to us for scrutiny."- Devati Mooleedhar

SON OF A DOG GO EAT SHIT AND DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOSERRRRRRRRR.GET A LIFE--Bakar Saud (After Mr. Gomer chopped his dolla')

YOU ATE OUR MONEY AND YOU START MOCKING US--Bishop Anthony

Fake Checks Received= $63,487 US
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Good advice in most locations. I live where everything is dry all the time. I have a brother in a wet location that has an electric sump pump and a hydraulic jet backup system that will pump water out even if there's an electric failure. He has an outdoor carpet on his basement floor and nylon fabric held off the walls with plastic shims. Paint due to the salting is an epic failure.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic