SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Why do check scams work?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
RayAdverb
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I mean, I understand how they work. Scammer sends you a forged check that looks pretty real. I've received two of these forged checks, and they look a lot like the pay checks I used to get when I worked at KFC one summer during my teen years. But I digress....

So scammer sends you a fake check, for, say, $2000. You deposit the check. The bank tells you "Hey, it's a real check. Here's $2000!". You wire him most of the money via Western Union, and keep the rest, ostensibly as payment for some service.

Couple weeks later, the banks say "Oops. The check wasn't real. Sorry we told you it was and put the money in your account. Anyway, give us back the $2000 we gave you."

Well, of course, the poor victim is on the hook to repay the $2000.

But why?

The bank fucked up and honored the check. The bank said "Hey, it's cool. Here's the money." A few weeks later, why do they get to say "lol we skrewed up can we haz money back?"

I, of course, hate scams of all stripes. I hate this one more than most (not quite as much as a "419 victim recovery scam" or a hitlad). Genuine banks are complicit in the ripoff, but it's Joe Blow victim that ends up in deep fiduciary doo-doo or even facing criminal charges. Why? Because he deposited a check. The bank got fooled, the bank told this guy that the check was legit, and they get to take it out on an individual of less means?

I'm willing to listen to any sort of devil's advocate argument for why things are this way or why they should be. It just infuriates me.

"How can a Microsoft worker be using gmail account? are you so doll?" -- Clement Morgan
"call back your money if there is and wait for a cock sucker to answer you. Your mannal/fraud will place you in jail as soon as you arrive." --Clement Morgan

Closed lad accounts(x1)
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It boils down to the fact that the onus is on the account owner to verify that they are depositing real cheques with valid funds.

It will be in the small print at all financial institution when someone opens an account, that they, the depositor, are liable for any fraudulent deposits made by them, or words to that affect.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
luckey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Banks in many countries are required to give provisional access to funds on depost within a few days. As SP said, that does not mean they make any assurances that the checks are good. Well done fakes will not usually be discovered until they go to a clearing house or the issuing bank. That process can take days, weeks, or months, especially for foreign checks.

Stolen or altered checks may not be discovered until the account holder notices a problem.

While that all may seem unfair to the victim of a check scam, consider that the vast majority of checks that are deposited are legitimate, and it would cause major cash flow problems for people and businesses if they had to wait for every check to be fully verified.

Check scams are effective because most people don't understand what it means when a check "clears", and they think the liability falls on the bank.

Here's a pretty good overview: click

RayAdverb
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

luckey wrote:
Check scams are effective because most people don't understand what it means when a check "clears", and they think the liability falls on the bank.

My question, though, is: "Why doesn't it fall on the bank?" Why is Joe Victim on the hook for the bank's mistake?

"How can a Microsoft worker be using gmail account? are you so doll?" -- Clement Morgan
"call back your money if there is and wait for a cock sucker to answer you. Your mannal/fraud will place you in jail as soon as you arrive." --Clement Morgan

Closed lad accounts(x1)
luckey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Because if it did, banks wouldn't give you access to funds until checks are fully verified. Then Joe victim couldn't buy groceries and pay rent until weeks or months after he deposited his legitimate checks, like his paycheck.

Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="RayAdverb"]
luckey wrote:

My question, though, is: "Why doesn't it fall on the bank?" Why is Joe Victim on the hook for the bank's mistake?

It isn't the bank's mistake. As check paper and check printing software is easily bought in the US, the only one who can identify a fake is often the accountholder.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ And to further complicate matters, check clearing involves physically moving the check from the bank where the recipient deposits it to the bank from which it was supposedly issued. This can take time - time the law won't allow the bank to wait before making the money available to the recipient.

The bank operates on the principle that they are loaning the recipient the money until the issuing bank and account-holder repay that loan. As it is an interest-free loan, the bank is not making any more money by the transaction than they would if the check were written on the same bank. They only do it because the law says they have to. Therefore, they cannot be held responsible.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic