SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

personal assistant scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

disake
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
I'm pretty new to this website but I wanted some advice about a potential scam. I have been recently been applying to some jobs on craigslist and this interesting e-mail came to my inbox.

I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am currently away on business. I am in Australia so there will be no interview. I will prepay you in advance to do my shopping. I will also have my mails and packages forwarded to your address. If you will be unable to stay at your house to get my mails, I can have it shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick it up at your convenience. When you get my mails/packages; you are required to mail them to where I want them mailed to. You don't have to put money out of your pocket, all you have to do is have packages shipped to your house and do my shopping. You are allowed to open the packages to reveal its content. The content of the packages are computer and electronics, clothing business and personal letters. All expenses and taxes will be covered by me. You will work between 15 and 20hrs a month. How much will you charge per month? I will pay $400. That is not a bad
offer is it? I need your service because I am constantly out of town. I work in real estate and I own an Art Gallery in Australia. I will return to United State by Middle of September so this process will be on going till then. If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long term. Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position.

I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for me when I am ready. No heavy packages is involved! You can do the shopping at Sears, Walmart, and other stores. You will be shopping for Electronics and clothing. I will provide you my UPS account number for Shipping. All you have to do is to provide you my UPS Account Number and bill the shipping charges on it.. I will provide clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well the funds to cover them. If I were to mail you money to do my shopping plus upfront payment for your service, where would you want it mailed to? How should your name appear on the money? so if you still have interest you're to reply me back with all this following details.

Full Name:
Mailing Address(Not PO Box):
City, State, Zip Code:
Phone Numbers:

I wait to read from you.

Sincerely,

NB: The Payment Will Be In Money Order

I wasn't sure what to do so I work this in response.

That sounds fair, the $400 pay, for what I would be doing.
I'm sorry if I seem a bit hesitant to give out my personal information but I am a little scared of the 519 Nigerian scams that are so prevalent these days. But I will be more than happy to provide you those services using a post office proxy. However, I can provide you with some of your request information. My name is [actual name] and I will be [age] this year. My phone number is [actual number].
I apologize again for the inconvenience that this may cause you but I just want you to know that I will take this job very serious if it is indeed not a scam. I guess I would feel safer if I could meet you but in your situation I guess that would be impossible. But I do have a solution, I will do the job for no pay until I meet you in September that way you get what you need (a personal assistant) and I get what I want (security). Then in September, you can pay me for the past month and a half or so. If you are happy with how I conduct myself as a personal assistant then we can continue after September. That way, all I would be losing is my time if things fall out. I hope this will be a good compromise. Hoping to hear from you soon.

As you can see I gave my actual name, age and number. It's probably a little too late to correct/prevent any damage so I'll have to deal with the fall out if this is a scam. What do you guys think? Scam or not? And any advice?
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Disake,

Yes, it's a scam, have a read of this about how reshipping scams work, see the full article here:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2005-07-10-cyber-mules-cover_x.htm

This is a short timeline of events from the article, showing how they use stolen credit cards:

Quote:
How a reshipment gets done

USA TODAY examined a paper trail of e-mails, letters, credit card statements, packing receipts and mailing labels that Karl kept of his work as a 'mule' and pieced together this account of an illegal reshipment:

April 18. Someone from a bogus Web site at the center of the scam, kflogistics.biz, tests a $1 charge on iWon.com, a prize-giveaway Web page, using a Bank One Visa credit card number stolen from Brian Spoutz, a 48-year-old San Jose, Calif., software salesman. A Visa investigator notified him about the compromised card in May, Spoutz says.

April 20. Kflogistics.biz uses Spoutz's Visa card to place an order at Newegg.com for a $2,607 digital camera and extra memory. It directs shipment of two separate parcels to a home in Gilroy, Calif.

April 22. FedEx attempts to deliver the parcels, but the reshipper in Gilroy has gotten cold feet and rejects the delivery. Using FedEx's online tracking, Michael Birman of kflogistics.biz notes the failed delivery, contacts FedEx and redirects delivery to Karl in Grass Valley, Calif. Birman then alerts Karl via e-mail to watch for the two parcels.

April 23. Birman goes to USPS.com. Using a hot credit card number, Birman purchases a $48 Global Express Mail shipping label addressed to Roman Radeckiy in Moscow, then downloads the new label as a JPEG image file. Birman attaches the JPEG file to an e-mail to Karl, instructing Karl to combine the two parcels into one box, affix the label and mail to Radeckiy.

April 24. FedEx delivers the parcels to Karl in Grass Valley.

April 27. Karl prints out the JPEG label. Karl repacks the camera and memory into one box, affixes the printed JPEG label and completes the reshipment.

As for the details you gave out to the scammer, don't worry too much about that, at worst, they might send a package to you, if they do, just take it along to your local police station and explain to them what happened, you wont be in any trouble.

When the scamemr contacts you again, just tell them you have found other employment in your town and you no longer require their job, then ignore all further contact from them.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
McBait
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am TOTALLY new here, but CL scams/spams are a personal pet peeve of mine...in fact the reason I decided to join the fight.

I can only recommend in the strongest terms, avoid replying to ANY craigslist reply that does not deal exactly with what you posted. Don't reply "screw u" because it gives them information like your email address.

Not really a serious issue if you've done it already. One email address doesn't mean much, they're not smart enough to hack it for information. I am of the opinion that when in doubt, the best course of action is to give them NO scrap of information, no matter how tiny.
mutantfunkdrink
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi

I have had exactly the same scam, all the responses are 'canned' and aren't even relevant to what my responses are:

I replied and sent him the address of the post office down the road, he replied back saying he would send a cheque for £3000. I am to put the cheque into my bank account and then send him £2500 back. Apparently this is just a 'test' for the later re-shipping work.

So how does this scam work exactly, and what should I do next?
Is it money laundering? Does it ever actually get to the re-shipping stage? Do people put the cheque in and send out the money without checking if the cheque has cleared?

So far all the guy knows is my email address, and the address of the post office. All the other info I gave him was false.

He says that the cheque has been posted so I'll go down the post office later today and see if it has arrived - the police station is luckily right next to the post office so I'll give it straight to them if anything arrives.
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Be sure to take along all the emails you have received from the scammers. Wink

Oh, and welcome! Very Happy

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic