SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

419 in popular consciousness

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Wright B Hindyou
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

During half time in the second of the best-of-5 series of the quadrennial Australia v England cricket tournament (lunch on the 3rd day at Lord's, as we call it), the Cricinfo website runs an open blog in which their panel of experts try to answer questions from visitors to the site. As background, today there was much interest in a laptop which had been stolen overnight from one of the England players.

Quote:
[Comment From MR PETER NGO, NIGERIA ]
Dearest Mr Miller! I come bearing gifts and good tidings. You have won the Gold Coast Premium Notebook Lottery! We are pleased to offer you a Dell laptop newly refurbish. Please merely deposit a £250 safety note in our accounts to process transaction costs and for package.
13:32 Peter English: he'll take it! he's sending his bank details immediately
13:32 Andrew Miller: Mr Ngo, what splendid news!
13:32 Ranjit Shinde: Go for it Miller. Go fot it.
13:33 Andrew Miller: Ah, my bank details are stored on my old laptop. Never mind ... [exits building to sprint to the bank ...]

I'm sure 'Peter Ngo' was a wind-up, but it's good to see 419 so well entrenched in public consciousness. Education is crucial.

Yet, sadly, there are always still going to be people who fall for it. Sad

"bastard like you, I will kill you with my hand, son of nobody. May your soul rust in help." - Titi Andrew

"I trusted you very much without knowing that you are a drug addit person" - Emma Bambara

"THIS YOUR BEHAVIOR IS IRELEVANT AND CROSPOLOS CARACTER" - Madam Clarrise Keita.

"you must speak beter because we dont train mad people in this company." - Incredible Self-Baiting Pastor Joe
Cap419kicker
Ye Olde Privy Smythe

Location: Pushing truck selling Obama shirts on Ring Road Lagos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Especially in the bad economy, someone somewhere will really think they have a dead relative who has 3 million dollars in a lock box in Africa somewhere.

I always talk to folks about these scams. I only know of ONE person who almost fell for a "Coca Cola Lottery" mail a few years ago. I talked to her. She was shocked that people would actually scam other people via the internet. Since then, she forwards me some of her latest catches for my amusement. My wife even educates people she speaks with about these scams.

All we can do is continue what we do here. It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

"Your information is safe with me and will not be used anonymously"-- Dal Cal� Maccio
"you are as useless as your e-mail sound. bingo like." ---Zinriszal Bin Selamat
pony pony pony
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Two people I know - whom I have talked to extensively about scams as both know that I have an interest in baiting - recently fell for a classic check scam. It is good to see that at least the message is sinking in for some folks!

Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have made no secret of my anti-scam activities. As a result, a friend asked me to look at an email he received (classic tutor/overpayment scam). I pointed out the signs of scammishness, and he stopped communicating with the scammer immediately. He received a check (for more than his fee, of course) and tore it up. He has also simply ignored other job offers that had similar characteristics. Today he thanked me for educating him about scams - he's a teacher on summer furlough, and money is very tight for him.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic