SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

SMS text scammers

View next topic
View previous topic

savage
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My wife has received three texts on her cell stating she has had a debit card deactivated by Plus4 Credit Union. I'm not sure if she's ever actually -had- a card through Plus4 Credit Union (she couldn't recall), but we decided this was clearly a scam and deleted the first two she received, figuring if we didn't respond they'd leave us alone. Now she has received a third one, I have it in front of me right now, it reads:

[email protected]

Plus4 CreditUnion has deactivated your DebitCard.
To reactivate call 8888302512

now, while I have no intention of contacting these guys, I started to wonder about the website fmb.com, so I googled it. I have not gone to the site directly, but the Google description says:

Business and personal banking. Description of services, account and loan types, branch locations.

I also visited Plus4 Credit Union's website ( https://www.plus4cu.org/ ) and saw an -interesting- note right on the front page:
Quote:

ALERT

Attention Plus4 members, be suspicious of any e-mail, text message or phone call with urgent requests for your personal financial information. Do not open unsolicited e-mails or text messages. Any e-mail or text message asking for you to call a toll-free number to verify account information should be deleted. Never provide your personal information or account information based on an e-mail, phone call or text request.

Calls from someone who claims to be a Plus4 representative and knows your credit/debit card account number – but who wants the three-digit code on the back of the card for whatever reason - should be treated the same way, hang up and contact Plus4 Credit Union as soon as possible.

Please remember that Plus4 Credit Union, DOES NOT e-mail, text message or telephone our members asking for personal information such as debit card number, pin number, complete social security numbers, dates of birth, etc. For that matter, no legitimate company that you do business with solicits this information. If you feel you have been a victim of fraud, please contact us at 713.970.6200.

I thought the scambaiters here might be interested in this, so I made this account to let you all know about it. I'm not really sure where I would start to deal with this (or how to protect myself and my family from retribution) so I guess discussion of this goes here.
Cap419kicker
Ye Olde Privy Smythe

Location: Pushing truck selling Obama shirts on Ring Road Lagos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There are similiar scams like that across the USA, where the criminal gets a database of cellphone numbers and sends text/sms claiming to come from Navy FCU, SEFCU, or other banking institutions. They are hoping someone will call that number back and use their "pin" so the hackers can get access to a victim's account.

It sounds like an issue for local to national authorities. They are well aware of the Phisers like this and I see that any sort of bait would cross the "bait safe" rule we live by here.

To protect your family and friends, just let them know that any reputable bank will not text you to say your account is invalid. Let's say you opened your bank account pre-cellphone in the 1990s and gave them your house phone: how would they get your number? If it sounds out of the ordinary, it is. Use your gut.

You may also want to write a letter to the editor and use it as an outreach to your neighbors about this kind of crime. Sadly, there is a sucker born every minute and your work may help to stop that person from being a victim. Use any other public venue you have to spread the word about these crimes. For example, I will be speaking to my church about the 419 email scams. We light our candles against this darkness of fraud so that we can help one more person not become a victim.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Cap419kicker

"Your information is safe with me and will not be used anonymously"-- Dal Cal� Maccio
"you are as useless as your e-mail sound. bingo like." ---Zinriszal Bin Selamat
pony pony pony

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic