SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Help with Dutch please

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The recent stereo thread got me thinking, and it now looks like I am going to upgrade the second oldest part of my system (the oldest is the phono deck).

So I'm looking at speakers, and specifically at the Mordaunt-Short 914i and 916i. There is only one independent review of the 916i that I can find... and it's in Dutch.

http://www.hetmag.nl/component/content/article/16-luidsprekers/1187-Britannia-rules-the-audiowaves

I can follow most of it in the Babelfish translation, but there a a few words and garbled sentences in the last two paragraphs that I need help with.

Could some kind soul please take pity on a poor ignorant Englishman, and tweek this translation a bit? I would be most grateful.

Babelfish wrote:
TYPICALLY BRITISH

For the lustre tests we DVP-9000S cd/sacd-speler Philips as a music source and the Cyrus AV master have used 8.0. as an amplifier. In the test elaboration second became interlinks of pine wrap in and Ixos range Geometry use loudspeaker cables. It was listened intensively to several traditional and popular cd's and sacd's, where always the fancy and powerful layer reproduction was notable. The total consonance picture of these loudspeakers is British and also finds you typically at manufacturers such as Bowers & Wilkins and YAPS: beautiful low, a rather silky central part and beautiful hoogweergave pass through, without acerbity.

CONCLUSION

Mordaunt-Short rarely disappoints and the Avant 916i is a very fine sounding floorstanding loudspeaker, with clear English trekjes and attractive geprijsd. Suitable for a good stereo installation but also for surround systems. In that case the Avant 902i loudspeakers have been very arranged for the surroundweergave and special 905i for reproduction of the centerkanaal.

Thanks

ETA, just for your amusement:
A bit earlier, the same review wrote:
Just like at other Avant-modellen feet and spikes are provided. These can force up you yourself there; by the voorgeboorde propeller breaches is that a whistle of a penny.
Sounds painful.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
r2d2
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

for this one, i think you're gonna need a native speaker [pun intended] Smile

i would guess that 'and attractive geprijsd' is better as 'and attractively priced'

and an online dictionary says that 'trekjes' means 'characteristics' or 'traits'

but i can't hep you beyond that.
justme
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Give me a few minutes, and I will post a translation Razz

You can go to many places
- John Johnson, poetic lad
justme
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Typically British
For our tests we have used a Philips DVP-9000S cd/sacd-player as source, and the Cyrus AV Master 8.0 as amplifier. In our test situation, we used Van Den Hul 'second' interlinks and Ixos Gamma Geometry speaker cables. We intensively listened to several classic and popular cd's and sacd's, and everytime we noticed the very good and powerful [low tones]. The total sound of these speakers is typically British, just like Bowers & Wilkins and KEF: a good low, [silk] middle, and good high sound, without sharpness.

Conclusion
Mordaunt-Short seldom disappoints us, and the Avant 916i is no exception to that. It's a very good sounding floor speaker, with clear English characteristics, for a very decent price. Good for a stereo setup, but also for surround setups. When using it as surround setup, the Avant 902i is very good as surround set, and the special 905i is especially good for the center channel.

I'm not really sure of the things between [brackets] because I'm not really an audiophile Razz

You can go to many places
- John Johnson, poetic lad
Master of Puppets
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ghehehe... whistle of a penny, that's a brilliant translation Very Happy

thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks justme, that's great. [low tones] would be "bass", and Babelfish agrees with "silky mid-range", (and high sound would be "treble".) I got the gist of what they were saying, but the odd word here or there could have changed the whole sense of the thing.

It's somewhat amusing that British/English is used as a positive, whereas if Americans said the same thing, it would be distinctively negative.

Thanks again. It looks like I will be spending the extra money to get these. The reviews on the 914i are nowhere near as good. I'll find out on Friday, when I get them side by side.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After all the SOOI threads, finally a topic about me. This was bound to happen sooner or later. Wink

ETA: I cannot be helped, medical science has given up on me long time ago.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic