SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Motorcycle for sale, received an obvious bait....

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
AreYouFeelingComfortable
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I would love nothing more to capture this guys face when he goes to pick up my bike, and there is nothing but a pink girls bicycle with training wheels waiting for him. What can I do. Wasting his time will help keep him from others. I do not want to give my real name or address. We have castle doctrine in TX. Basically shoot first, questions later on your property.

The asking price is $4400 plus $800 if they want a seperate set of wheels.

I just realized I had responed once to him confirming that it is still for sale with my real email address. That name @gmail.com I use commonly on the internet in message forums.

From Olatunji Olumayowa [email protected]

[I]Thanks for your mail I would like to make an outright
purchase immediately so i would want you withdraw the advert from the
web. Regarding the payment ,I will pay you with a
certified check in U.S dollars so pls let me have the following
informations so that the payment can be made to you :
1.Your full name to be on the check.
2.Your postal address.
3.Your postal code
4.Your mobile phone number (For easier comunications).
Kindly get me the above requested information as soon as
possible.Concerning the shippment,it is my regular shipper that will
come for the pick up as soon as you recieve your money in hands.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It most likely won't happen, because he has no intention of sending someone to pick the bike up.

What will happen is he will send you a check that is for a significant amount beyond your sale price. He will ask you to deposit the check, and once it clears, to wire the excess to his "shipper" (who isn't actually a shipper, but is himself, a consipirator or a victim who thinks he is receiving payments for a legit company.)

Only problem is, the check will be fake. The bank will issue the funds after 5 days, but weeks later, they will realize the check is fraudulent and will charge back your account (and you could be charged with check fraud).

Nine out of 10 times, all they want is the cash.

Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Out of curiosity, what do the scammers do if you tell them to just send a check with the right amount?

Total :$95 Dollars

5 + 9 = 95
It all makes sense now!
AreYouFeelingComfortable
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dorothy wrote:
It most likely won't happen, because he has no intention of sending someone to pick the bike up.

What will happen is he will send you a check that is for a significant amount beyond your sale price. He will ask you to deposit the check, and once it clears, to wire the excess to his "shipper" (who isn't actually a shipper, but is himself, a consipirator or a victim who thinks he is receiving payments for a legit company.)

Only problem is, the check will be fake. The bank will issue the funds after 5 days, but weeks later, they will realize the check is fraudulent and will charge back your account (and you could be charged with check fraud).

Nine out of 10 times, all they want is the cash.

I see...that makes sense. That would be a little too close to home anyway. I wish I still worked with this guy from Ghana, he would love to get in on this. I was thinking I respond with "oh i see your name looks familiar. my best friend is from wherever and recognizes your name...blah blah....etc.

What happens when I deposit the check, and then stall the guy for a while until the bank reveals it's fake. I've heard the story of a guy who was arrested for fraud. I don't need that!
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, it is a crime to deposit a fraudulent check and banks will often charge the victim with a crime. Sad

@John Henry Eden
If you ask for the correct amount, they may agree but you'll get a follow up email telling you the "secretary" made a mistake and sent too much....you'll be asked to send the overage back to the scammer or to the shipper.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
AreYouFeelingComfortable
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You don't need to fully quote the post directly above yours. Use this ^^ instead -ghost

Man this stuff is truly hilarious. I'm reading the stickies and stuff guys. Great site! This type of email must be so typical to you.

If anything I'd like to get a foreign stamp. I keep thinking of the guy who got the guy in Nigeria to carve wooden Commodore 64's for him.
Scam Ninja
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know, that sounds like a pretty good deal. After all, he's willing to pay you with a certified check. You don't get offers like that every day! Wink

OT: Texas's castle doctrine is great. I'm pretty sure that around here, a person has a "duty to retreat" Mad .

Hmm... it might be interesting to see him squirm when you tell him that you have a mandatory 7 day waiting period for all checks to make sure they clear. Maybe tell him that after you receive the check...

Master of Puppets
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah. But you won't be receiving the check because you're not going to give him your home address. If you want to be able to receive check you should become a premium member and have it sent to one of the drop boxes.

Having lads send the checks is good because it'll cost them money and they can't send the particular check to another victim Wink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic