SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Western Union... something needs to be done.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
optimus828
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Does anybody know if the government is doing anything about western union? I would think especially post 9-11 that their "money moving" business would be under heavy scrutiny.

I personally think they need to red flag any funds going to hot spots like the uk and nigeria and that maybe in doing so people may have a chance to recover their money if they figure out during the red flag hold time that they've been had.

My sister was taken for over $500 via some guy off craigslist... wired $500+ to the UK and when I called western union they admitted that over 50% of transactions could be linked to fraud but nothing is being done. They got very upset when I asked them if they still consider it just "moving money" when they're doing so for terrorists... that didn't make this csr very happy.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sorry about your sister, but flagging every UK-Nigeria transaction is just plain stupid.

What has 9-11 got to do with it?

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
UbuntuKid
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Because terrorists can move money via WU without being traced?

I agree here. But WU isn't going to do anything because they just want their damn fees.

"Areyou saying your Plunder and fleeBankis nota Ghost Bank?" - John Kuti
"FUCK YOU JOKAR!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TO HAIL WHATEVER" - Miss Glades Kala
"AND MUST DEAL WITH YOU YOU ARE DEAD WATCH YOUR BACK" - Mary Daniels
"SO YOU HAVE TO DO IT NOW OR YOU LOOSE YOUR LIFE TOMORROW" - Clifford the Hitman
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That was not what happened on 9-11 though Confused

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
optimus828
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

WU should be sanctioned and make people who use their service create an account w\ 2 forms of ID, and some sort of deposit. I just find it very difficult to see how WU is allowed to profit from scams like this and then deny any wrong doing.

WU may have been around for over 100 years but it's 2009 and they need to be moderated.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

But 9-11 is the start of global terrorism-paranoia.. Come on.. I just want to take my bottle of water into the plane, but noooooo... ain't gonna happen, I might just take over the plane with it or use it to make a bomb...

That's about what 9-11 has got to do with it... and 9-11 would've needed to be funded somehow, wouldn't it?

Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

2 forms of ID? Hell, you need that much to open a bank account. If WU was moderated, they would still find a way. They always find a way.

MOP - I would love to let you bring your bottle on my plane. I would kill you if you breached the cockpit though.

9/11 is a vastly complex event, and oh yes, it had to be funded somehow. Who says it was WU?

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Woah! Hot-spots like the UK? Have you ever *been* to the UK? Do you imagine we're all sitting around in mud huts scamming Americans? We're one of the least corrupt countries in the world, we invented the phrase "It's just not cricket" to suggest unfait play, and there are a hell of a lot of British baiters, too.

You see, that's the problem with making sweeping generalisations about a country with just a little knowledge. A WU transfer can be sent from anyone to anyone, and picked up *anywhere*. Those transfers 'to' the UK are much more likely picked up anywhere *but* the UK. Some scammers suggest people wire cash to themselves (in the US or anywhere) then they just pick up that payment and run for the hills.

You're right, WU has a massive credibility problem, at the moment it seems to be set up to be as insecure as they can get away with (hence just needing the MTCN to collect a payment). But making allegations like yours doesn't help, WU clearly have no interest in stopping the massive amounts of fraud they collaborate in as they take their fees and plead the innocent third party. All we can do is get the word out there and hope we catch people more effectively than the scammers.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sorry, i'm being misunderstood and acting like a typical american does on an international forum.. sorry Smile

My only reference to 9-11 is that I think the US government should be closely watching incoming and outgoing funds. Job creation? Why not hire an army of spambaiters and people to moderate WU and other transactions?

The 9-11 hijackers probably had cash on them when they entered the country... but I'm just saying... WU enables all sorts of people to just " move money " and the fact that they seem to be doing nothing about the well known fraud means that they're knowingly profiting from crimes others are committing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I understand WU does warn people about scams, but few seem to listen. While internet scams would probably be initially hampered if WU became more strict, unfortunately, so would many legitimate transactions. I know people who regularly send money from the US to their family in a less developed country. Getting ID or a bank account would be difficult and expensive for them. In their case, WU performs a valuable service.

If Western Union were to disappear tomorrow, I have no doubt scammers would still find ways to move money from their victims. They would probably ask people to overnight cash, and then we would be complaining about how lax FedEx is.

Edit to add: I'm sorry about your sister, lots of people fall for those scams. Interesting to note that Craig's list has tons of warnings about wiring money and dealing locally. People often criticize them for not doing more to prevent scams.

YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And since WU operates in just about every country on earth, who is going to be the policing authority?

Safari<i>"i have arrive safe in namibia"</i> - Tony Kalabi - The Road to the Skeleton Coast
Safari<i>"he is in aswan"</i> - Larry Ken - The Road to Abu Sunbul
Safari The Road to the Hot Zone</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89779" target="_blank"> The Making of a TWAT</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100535" target="_blank"> The Second Coming of TWAT</a>
Golden Pith Mortar x17
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interpol.

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you seen my piggies ? Laughing

If low life scammers can get access to bank accounts so easily, then organised terrorists will find it a breeze.

Western Union is a legitimate service misused by criminals, but they'll abuse anything or anyone they can latch onto.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
CowboyBuck
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All of the same would be applied to any real-mail postal service.

The US Postal Service doesn't know what is in the envelopes that go through it.

United States United Nations
Ireland United Kingdom Switzerland Germany Netherlands France Italy Spain Ukraine
South Africa Nigeria Ghana Australia Japan China Malaysia
Argentina Columbia Panama
Right now I am getting pissed with your responses
And still you later claimed there are snakes on the road to the Western Union
Please for the sake of humanity help Mr. Felix and I to get this money
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Exactly.

Cheque lads send their cheques off by national mail carriers. Does this mean they should be sanctioned too?
They are as much of a player as WU is.

The fact is that WU does a very important job. Many people have folks in other countries who send money home to support them. Red-flagging funds to third world nations (and the UK as the OP so laughingly suggests) would hurt many, many innocent people.

That's not to say WU shouldn't tighten up. There are probably many of it's employees in places like Nigeria who know exactly what is going on when a lad walks in to pick up a payment. The problem there though is the national culture of corruption - not WU itself.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic