SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

[Help] Is this a scam? (email)

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
demerda
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There is a guy emailing me saying: "We know what you have been doing"
Only this phrase... it's a "@dhs.gov" email

Just to you guys know, i'm not from USA, i'm from Iceland.

And now he sent me another e-mail, asking "Who are you" "What company do you work" and etc...
He also provided his name, some other names (companies, IDK lol) and a number at the end.

This what happened:

I have a website selling cd key for one game.
Then, a guy bought one by paypal.
We did a fine trade. But he claimed his money back, and he got it. Then, I emailed him that I would contact paypal for my money back because he already had the product. Then he answered me for the first time (when he claimed his money, I've already sent some emails, but no answer) saying these things (probably to scare me, and let it go...), but I'm not sure.

What you guys think? I'm scared, even though I know I did nothing.

Edit: He just sent me another e-mail:
"Selling illegal cd-keys to various software products is a federal offense. Logging into someone elses PayPal account to purchase illegal cd-keys is also a federal offense."
But... it's a game cd key of my own... they are not illegal lol.
And if it was, I think the game company should take care of it, lol
Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Claim your money back from paypal. send them the email/s he has sent you.

Sounds like it's a gamer con/scam perpetrated by a wannabe hacker. Not something we deal with here. Nothing to worry about if as you say you have done nothing wrong and the sale of the product was legitimate.

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like he's probably spoofing the email to make it look like it's coming from the dept homeland security. If you are selling 1 game online, I really doubt they'd care enough to email you, especially someone outside of their jurisdiction. Like Spudz said it's not really a 419, so it does sound like Paypal is your best route.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a spoofed email address. Homeland security don't deal with this sort of thing, you're in a different country anyway and it's your cd key to sell, so don't panic. Contact the game company and tell them your cd key has been stolen, they will then null it making it useless for online play etc.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
General419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is definitely a spoofed email. It is not at all hard to do that (as in make an email look like it came from somewhere else) - I could do it in about 5 minutes.

It is however, fully traceable, so he was very stupid to do it. Tell PayPal about this email you got from the .gov address. It will say in the email header the IP address of the server that mailed it. PayPal should be able to get the owner of the server to reveal who did it. He has, effectively, left his fingerprints at the crime scene.

You certainly have enough evidence to get your money back. It all depends how big a deal you want to make of it.

George - "please stop calling me okay thanks."
Cliford - "YARRRRRRRRRRRR YOUR TIME IS UP SO YOU WILL BE KIDNAP ANY TIME FROM NOW"
Mark - "I would lactate because I broke the law"
Charles - "your church will luquidate and you shall move from grace to grass..you foolish old ass-hole called revererend...bastard."
Cliford - "and even the police or fbi can not get me i work with them so if you fill you they will help you haa haa haa haa"

Get a shiny ORANGE name! Try clicking here!
demerda
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I decided just to ignore it...
And let him have the money, its just 8$...

Thanks for asnwers guys
Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kick him in the nuts. He'll only try it again and again. Might only be $8 this time, but getting away with it will only give him the confidence to try for bigger things.

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
General419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Spudz wrote:
Kick him in the nuts. He'll only try it again and again. Might only be $8 this time, but getting away with it will only give him the confidence to try for bigger things.

^ Agreed. ^

I would recommend filing an abuse report with PayPal at the very least. Might be able to get him a warning, plus your $8 back.

George - "please stop calling me okay thanks."
Cliford - "YARRRRRRRRRRRR YOUR TIME IS UP SO YOU WILL BE KIDNAP ANY TIME FROM NOW"
Mark - "I would lactate because I broke the law"
Charles - "your church will luquidate and you shall move from grace to grass..you foolish old ass-hole called revererend...bastard."
Cliford - "and even the police or fbi can not get me i work with them so if you fill you they will help you haa haa haa haa"

Get a shiny ORANGE name! Try clicking here!
Catcher In The Lie
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
...He'll only try it again and again..

Yes, and I'd say that's exactly what his modus operandi is. He's probably gotten away with it dozens of times knowing it's such a small amount, most people won't bother pursuing it. I hope you will though. You might post it on scamwarners.com for others too.

pony
"I don't want you to be burdered again." Ali the hitlad Sule
Click here to support 419Eater.com
demerda
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, I'll say what he's doing to paypal, and post it on scamwarners.

Thanks
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, ScamWarners is for advance fee fraud. You'd be better off finding a site dedicated to this type of scam or a gamer's forum and posting it there.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
weareborg
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You say it's only $8.00 sure it is, but if 500 people get caught by the same person

I would suggest you send everything you have to Paypal,
get all your e-mails from this person together with anything else you have, together with the e-mail you have sent him, and make up a post, which you can cut and paste onto the paypal site. Claims are timed so if you do it the other way, it will time out and you will need to start again.

Then go into your account page and under the top bar Merchant Services, you will see Resolution Centre, click on that then click Dispute a transaction, and cut and paste your info into the correct box.

They will look into it. and take whatever action they think fit, You might even find your $8.00 back in your account.

But it will cost you nothing and you might just save someone else from going the same way for a lot more then $8.

Resistance is futile
assimilation is paramount
Why am I such an evil bastard, Mum said I take after my father

My mum to betray to you huge hi,
You have changed my world and you makes me so Un-happy! Everyone around me can see that!
I wished to eat.... Has opened a refrigerator... But, in it it is empty.... Now I am compelled to go to shop...
To my girlfriend 30 years yesterday were executed, and was very cheerful.sounds like a dead party
Honey I understand all our complexities in our meeting! We should overcome them!!! Please,
do not look back, only forward!!! We together will pass fire, water and copper pipes SHIT not the copper pipes
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

While DHS does have components that deal with IPR (intellectual property rights) violations, they would not send threatening emails. If they thought your sales were big enought o go after some nice LEOs from your government would probably just arrive at your door with some interpol inquirys. Maybe...

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Plus, if paypal investigate then there's every chance they'll freeze his account which means any money in it will also be frosen. This could make his life miserable.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic