SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Dark Blue 1998 Subaru Legacy Bumper

View next topic
View previous topic

Bam Skater
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi
I didn't even know about this place before taking the plunge - one of my friends said I should post it up. Sorry if it doesn't quite hit the mark, but I'm new at this, and I'm looking to improve my game.

A little background: I live in England, and I'm looking for a rear bumper for my dark blue 1998 Subaru Legacy. Feel free to PM me if you know where I can get a cheap one Smile

The mini-story unfolds thus:

Quote:
I am Steve Canada from Canada,i came accross your advert on website that you are in need of the above subject stated, i just want to used this little words of mine to let you know that i have it for sale,and still in a good condition, if you need some pics of the item i can send them to you once i heard from you so we can bargain price and i will need your complete address for shipping purpose, please i only need a serious buyer and i do accept check payment ,international money order and western union money transfer,MoneyGram money Transfer and paypal and also let me know what method of payment you prefer..You can call me on +14524057349 or send me an email for further discussion

...Suspicions raised, my guarded response:

Quote:

Hi Steve

Thanks for getting in touch. To be honest the carbon footprint and shipping costs associated with getting the bumper to me are prohibitive (the one I have is okay but it's ugly) - but thanks anyway.
Cheers
Tom

...To which Steve Canada from Canada replied:

Quote:

Thanks for your email,i have attached a Pics of my 1998 Subaru Legacy for you to see am selling the whole 1998 Subaru Legacy parts,so please give the list of the parts you want,as soon as i hear from you,i will call my mechanic to pull out the parts out,and i will need to know your home address to calculate the shipping cost to your doorstep,and i will package and i will ship to your doorstep,and i will forward you with the shipping tracking details,thanks is nice to hear from you soon

...hats off to him - the attached pics were of a dark blue right-hand drive Legacy with UK plates parked outside an unmistakably English, rather quaint, stone cottage - at which point it was fairly obvious I was dealing with a wily master criminal here (and a quick google of his email address confirmed my suspicions), so without delay I fired off this:

Quote:
Hi Steve Canada from Canada,

I've actually decided that my car is red. How much would it cost for you to paint your whole car red and send me just the bumper?

Perhaps you can also help me with a question I've been thinking about for a long, long time. I am thinking about moving my whole family (including my Grandmother and Dog) to Nigeria. Do you know anyone in Nigeria that we could stay with? Do you have family in Nigeria?

How much would it cost to send the Subaru Legacy bumper (painted red of course) to Nigeria? And how much for the whole car?

My address is:

Geoff Ripmaster

419, Balsak Avenue
Larfington
Scunthorpe
UNITED KINGDOM
(Western Europe)

Thanks,
Geoff

...Steve Canada from Canada immediately changed tack with a very prompt riposte:

Quote:

You dey crase for your head...Go ask your papa cabad

...I asked my Dad about this and he's fresh out of cabads. But I thanked Steve nonetheless for his time.

I think I may have dipped into the absurd a little too early, but for a first attempt I'm fairly happy.

What do you reckon?
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice story, but never mix Real Life (RL) with baiting, he has your real contact info!
You might have pushed a bit too hard too fast for the profit he could make of you, that would make anyone think twice. But you got the making of a good baiter, just some exercise and you'll be fine. Takes a while until you can determine how far you can go and in what way or direction, plus we all make mistakes even after two years+ I lose lads due to un-careful typing or stupidity, no problem, we got loads of them Smile

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the feedback Smile
He's got my first name and a non-essential email address, but as for the postal address, I'd be exceptionally surprised if it even exists, let alone have anyone by the name of G. Ripmaster living there.

*changes password just in case*
br4k3r
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

True enough. You didn't post your real postal address in the original request for the bumper though?

I'm from Canada, and I'm interested to learn who this "Steve Canada" is. I don't know anyone from Canada with the last name Canada. This guy is a real class act.

Beautiful bait, although it could've lasted longer, like my last beer hehehe Wink

EDIT: I did a 411.ca reverse lookup on the phone number he gave, and the 452 area code isn't even a proper area code. I'd avoid calling the number it's probably a premium rate line or something sinister as such.
Bam Skater
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Heh, thanks. My wife is always saying that too Wink

As for the original classified ad I posted, it only included first name & email - I try to be as careful as I can about that sort of thing.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic