SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Help: buffer overflow error

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Captain Pike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been experiencing a "buffer overflow error" notification off and on for the past few weeks. I've been able to get around it by going back in time to a "system restore", but I can't keep treating the symptoms forever.

An initial bit of research finds this to be out there in several places. It's been described as a trojan that McAfee can't detect. Someone was saying that if they downloaded this cure (that I never heard of before) that it would go away, and me being the suspicious type can't help but wonder if that person was trying to get his own trojan out there.

I won't have time to discuss this with a Dell tech rep until Friday, and so what I'd like to do is throw this out there to see if there's some reliable way to fix this.

For what this is worth, I'm using IE7.

Thanks in advance!

"On the 21st of April 2001, my client? His wife and their three children were involved in a plane crash of Union Transport Africans Flight Boeing 727 in Cotonou, Benin Republic on the December 26,2003" Barrister Olorunshogo Williams, 25 October 2004.

"I am in reciept of your mail,i want you to know that you are really getting on my nerves." Burt Hardley, Wellkang International, 20 November 2007

"Please worry, we have already advice the FBI and they don't need to call you. They are very brianliant and intelident. They will get you soon. " Mr. Paul Rogers, Global Medical Equipment, 20 November 2007

As of 26 February 2009, $2,231,983.53 of fake checks and money orders have been intercepted and removed from circulation.
EaterFan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you can get a specific error code out of it a Google search might turn up the cause. It'll be something weird like 00XE84EBD or something like that. Try googling the error code and the word error and that may shed some light on things. Smile
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's either a virus or if you're trying to play a video file you don't have the right codec. Something like that.

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What application are you getting the error in? Please post the entire text of the error and the title of the pop-up window it appears in.

Does this help?
http://forum.newsgator.com/Topic20199-1-1.aspx#bm40203

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you tried running a scan with Malwarebytes yet?
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php, just download and install the free version, perform an update and do a full scan.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
Inspector Gadget
Angel of unrealistic meetings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You could try spybot search & Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Firefox Wink

and ccleaner

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

They might help.

*you have to think about turning off system restore if you are running Windows Vista.

Pith Helmet Halil, Cotonou to Accra
Pith Helmet + Sand Timer Precious 10/08/11
Cellphone x8 Nigeria Spain Mortar x34 Closed lad accounts x 73 Goat
grown up man like him, still doing all this shit games - Stanley, (he doesn't like Parcel Direct)
You again do the strange reflections stuffed with drugs? - Natalia
Sand Timer x3 Hector 24/1/13 Sand Timer Moses 15th Oct 2011
Pretty Rose Sand Timer x 2Mick Ole 11th Sept 2014-16 Sand Timer Asare Akuffo start 4th Aug 2014
Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would suggest Kaspersky Lab's FREE online Virus scanner. Trend Micro Also has a very comprehensive online free virus scanner. I have some tools to help you out in the case of it being a virus. Just throw me a PM.

Kaspersky Labs
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
Trend Micro - PC Cillin
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I say these because if McAfee cannot detect it, there is a good chance one of these will.

Edited to add - Google Chrome is a great browser by the way, other than the Great ever omnipresent Mozilla Firefox.

Edited again to ask - Is this involving Microsoft Outlook? It is a server error in that case. If this is on your office PC, talk to your IT dept.

Closed lad accounts 10+ Mortar x6
Captain Pike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ It's on the home PC.

After reading all of the responses, I think I'll give Kapersky a try if I can ever get a get a free evening. Tonight and tomorrow night are booked.

"On the 21st of April 2001, my client? His wife and their three children were involved in a plane crash of Union Transport Africans Flight Boeing 727 in Cotonou, Benin Republic on the December 26,2003" Barrister Olorunshogo Williams, 25 October 2004.

"I am in reciept of your mail,i want you to know that you are really getting on my nerves." Burt Hardley, Wellkang International, 20 November 2007

"Please worry, we have already advice the FBI and they don't need to call you. They are very brianliant and intelident. They will get you soon. " Mr. Paul Rogers, Global Medical Equipment, 20 November 2007

As of 26 February 2009, $2,231,983.53 of fake checks and money orders have been intercepted and removed from circulation.
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't forget to turn off system restore before cleaning your system. Viruses and trojans will make copies in the system restore folder, and just jump back to life if they detect that the OS is not running them after cleaning them off in normal mode.

Other cleaners - SuperAntiSpyware www.superantispyware.com
Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

I run SpywareBlaster www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
and a hosts file http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
in the background to help keep the nasties off as well as using FF and Opera, instead of IE7.

After you clean whatever it is off your system, this free spyware-free software will alert you if there are any security related software updates for all the programs on your system, such as adobe reader, apple quicktime, browsers, media players, etc. It give you links to the downloads of the manufacturer, and info on the security risks involved.
I recommend it highly. When I first ran it, I thought my system was pretty tight, as I try to keep up with updates, but I found out it was not.
There were lots of old insecure programs on my pc.
Secunia Software Inspector
http://secunia.com/software_inspector/

Good luck, and keep us updated. Smile

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Captain Pike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried downloading Kapersky but it wanted me to uninstall McAfee, which I don't want to do right now.

I did get a message that I had a corrupted file in the Temporary Internet Files folder. I deleted all temporary files.

Oh, and before all of that, the buffer overflow did come back, but not with a hex code for reference.

I'm not sure if I've fixed it or not. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

EDITED TO ADD: Now trying the Trend Micro House Call before calling it a night.

Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great advise Slaphappy, I would've gone there. But a buffer overflow error is a vulnerability in Microsoft Outlook, and as far as I'm aware I thought they patched the issue. I haven't heard anything about it in just less than 10 years. I did a little poking and It seems it could also be a vulnerability in McAfee. IF it is a Microsoft Outlook issue, try pinpointing which email is causing the problem (I think it's a problem with the headers being too big for the allotted amount of cache space). An overflow attack is very dangerous (ie. control of systems, resources and private data) Shocked But again it's been at least 10 years since I've heard of it happening.

Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When I first saw this thread I wondered what a "butter overflow error" was exactly... anyone else see that?

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
Afferbecklauder
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Canadian 149

I believe you are right. I have not seen the "buffer" error in the same time frame. I have seen several examples of McAfee's causing bad software glitches.
It is not a virus, spyware or a rogue virus.

A "buffer overflow" occurs when a program tries to write more information to a buffer than it is capable of storing.

BTW, McAfee's can be a dog to uninstall.

I will send a photo copy of your draft to your state security agent with all your information that you are using the money to finance TERRORIST in America that you have received one already, and you also involved in the slept 11 attack.
NA BABA GOD GO PUNISH INA LIVES ANY WHERE INA DEY PLUS
UR BASTARD GOMER COS IN NO BE MISTER ATALL U SILLY
SCOMBERGS U NA DEY CUTT MY JOBS ABI.NO WORRY I NO GO
TELL UNA AGAIN,BUT IF UNA TRY AGAIN UNA NO GO WAKE
FROM SLEEP THE VERY NEXT MORNING I MEAN U WILL BE
MURDERED WITHOUT WARNING THE VERY NEXT MORNING NINFO . Walter Savvidez

pony
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Afferbecklauder wrote:

BTW, McAfee's can be a dog to uninstall.

There's a special tool to remove McAfee products: McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR.exe) it can be downloaded here:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wouldn't use McAfee anyway, but it causes LOADS of errors and processing problems. IF however you wish to keep that malfunctioning piece of virus scanning nonsense, I would uninstall it and try a reinstall. Your KEY file should be alright whether you have a legal program or otherwise. OR just uninstall it and get AVG Very Happy

Captain Pike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I ran Trend Micro House Call overnight (getting up from time to time to check up on things). It found 56 worms/spyware, all of which I cleaned off.

The buffer overflow only happens upon opening a window with IE. Not all the time; but once it happens I have to restore my system to an earlier checkpoint.

If the problem is still there, I should be finding out about it this evening or tomorrow. If it isn't, then it's likely that when my McAfee subscription expries next year that I'll switch over to something else.

This has been a great discussion. I almost want to ask a mod to sticky this, but it's not really related to baiting.

I'm glad the Eater is blessed with technical talent to supplement the baiting talent here.

Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, good for you, I still suggest using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. IE has TOO many vulnerabilities.

Captain Pike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I may be giving Google Chrome a try. I hope that they have an easy way to get Usenet access, like Netscape. Getting it using Microsoft isn't user-friendly and is always a fight.

Even though I no longer participate in Usenet discussions, I might want to get involved in rec.collection.coins again.

Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also remember to exercise general computer care, weekly defragmentation and disk clean activities go a long way. You should try for Spybot S&D it was mentioned before, if you found an abundance of spyware/malware it is a great program to use. But I gotta tell you, I'm very disappointed with McAfee. 50+ viruses shouldn't have been allowed in your system. BUT I guess all it took was one to "blind" your firewall and take control of your antivirus. oh well, live and learn. Wink

SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow. 56 problems, eh? If the problem comes back, again make sure to turn off System Restore before cleaning, run all the cleaners, reboot, check that the problem is gone. Run all the antivirus and cleaners again, to make sure. When confident, then you can turn System restore back on. Hope we all got you working. Smile

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Captain Pike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So far, so good. No recurrences of this problem.

I hope I haven't jinxed things by saying this.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic