SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Parking lot scam attempt

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I talked to my father on the phone tonight, and he told me about an experience in a Home Depot parking a couple of nights ago.

Essentially a man comes up to him with a home depot gift card. He gives him a sob story about how all he had was a credit card, and Home depot wouldn't let him take cash back, so he bought this $125 gift card, but since he desperately needs cash, so he'll sell it to my father for $75. He offers to show him ta receipt to prove it is worth $125.

I have no doubt that the card this guy was offering had little or no value (it seems like gift card scams are on the rise), --the guy probably bought 25 $5 cards, or used the value of this one up, or just swiped some non-activated cards from the store.

I owe my cynicism and skepticism to my father--by the time I was 5, he had already very thoroughly taught me the expressions "There is no such thing as a free lunch", "Life isn't fair", and There's a sucker born every minute". He is aware of my scam-related activities and every once in a while gets into discussions of the current hot scams. This is one grey-haired potential victim who definitely isn't falling for it, and he told the guy to f*** off.

But I wonder how many people would have fallen for this rather brazen approach--my guess is quite a few people would have jumped for that $50 profit being offered.

** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good on your Dad to spot it. Good on you for letting him know about scammers (who come in all sizes shapes and genders).

I wonder what would have happened if your Dad ad called the police. Maybe you could have put a shiny badge in his honor! Cool

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

He wouldn't have fallen for it either way--he is the one who taught me to be a skeptic. I did ask if he had called the police--he was shocked enough at the blatant attempt to scam him in the middle of a public parking lot that he didn't think to do so, and he's a little bummed now that he didn't.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wow,
i hope the wallet inspector gets the scammer !

your dad seems to be very level headed. good for you both !

*THANKS FOR PLAYING WITH MY TIME, PLEASE KINDLY FORGET ABOUT THIS TRANSACTION
*you have to tell any one you are here . everything has to be confidential -kevina
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic