SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

This is a scam. Can anyone assist in further ID?

View next topic
View previous topic

Uniboy
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey all.

Just read about the work you people do via

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/01/business/scam.php

I came across that article as I believe I've had a scam email. This is the second time in two days they've contacted me. Strangely they have cc in my buisiness partner on the email, despite his email address not being public on the site.

Email came from: [email protected]

Dear XXXXXXXX

Unfortunately we have not received any reply.We wonder if Your received our Request.
Please find below our previous message.

We have obtained the information about Your company and really unique idea from our partner in Europe.

It is a great idea and we are very interested in starting cooperation with Your Good Company and cover CIS-market with the New Product.

Please be advised that our professional business does not cover such a service You provide.

But as we are interested in new investments and new projects we would be highly interested in getting the essential information about the Product and conditions of future cooperation.

The International Commercial Group is a fast growing company.Founded as a joint-venture between companies from Russia, Montenegro and Spain the “ICG” has become a very effective company. It has been actively involved in seeking long-term strategic partnership with companies in USA, Europe and Asia.

We are actively supplying equipment for night clubs and hotels and do believe that we could promote Your product.

We hope to start our mutually fruitful cooperation with Your company.

Looking forward to hearing from You Very soon.

Sincerely Yours,
Valentin Ignatiev
Ph.D., Master of BA.
Executive Director

All help would be apprecaited.

Edited my mistake in the link. Thanks for the spot.

Last edited by Uniboy on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Uniboy --

The url you posted isn't leading to any article. Can you check that?

What sort of help are you requesting?

Welcome to Eater.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Uniboy
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi JM.

That's strange regarding the article. I just copied and pasted the link and just doubl;e checked that it was the same. Everything is exactly the same. Basically the article was in the international Herald Tribune.

I just wanted confirmation that it was a scam and if so, who could be behind it. How can they have my associates email address when it isn't even listed on our site?

Sorry once again about the link, can't understand why that didn't work.
B8er
boomdazzler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The link doesn't work because there is an extra . at the end of it - delete that and it works.

At a guess, I would say that they are trying some sort of payment scam on you - paying with a fake cheque and getting you to supply goods or something like that.

Haven't got a clue where they got your partner's email address from.

Safari x 5 Tattoo Golden Pig Easter 2015 Vcamera
United KingdomUnited StatesNigeriaMalaysiaNetherlandsThailandCanadaUnited Arab EmiratesUnited NationsAustraliaSenegalSpainBeninChinaDenmarkGhanaIvory CoastKorean FlagSouth AfricaSwedenBurkina FasoCambodia FlagcameroonGermanyHong KongIndonesiaJapanNew ZealandSwitzerlandTogoTurkeyUkraine x 335 Elite Ninja Team Member Whip
Cellphone x 4 Closed lad accounts x 1725 x 1904 - Fake cheques: $4,392,620.83
Safari Team Woody - Ghana to Singapore - 11535km
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Uniboy,

My first thought would be scam (or maybe small desperate company that is spamming for business, but I'd lean toward scam.)

As to how they got your partner's email address--I can think of two ways offhand--(1) Scammers will often use purchased (or stolen) lists of email addresses from legitimate or borderline legitimate companies (if both you and your partner receive any newsletters in common, or are even registered on the same site, there can be a list with both your addresses out there.) (2) some scammers sign up for industry forums, email groups, etc. as a means to make contact and get some new victims. For instance, a lad may sign up at a real estate investment forum as a means to get addresses/make contacts for a related scam.

Notice how they mention "your company" and "the new product". This is a sign that they are mass-mailing this letter, and don't want to take the time to put in your individual information. If they were a legitimate company that was interested in a product that you make, wouldn't you expect them to mention it by name or description?

A quick google of their company name shows no matches on a company that supplies equipment for night clubs or hotels. A google of the Executive director's name also comes up empty. The email does not pass validation, so there is something a bit off there too. These are all bright red flags.

Since they are talking about promoting your product, I could see this scam going in either direction--they will provide some fake documents and you will need to pay up-front fees, or if they are "marketing" for you, they could start providing you with fake orders. Then it becomes a standard check mule scam--they send you a (high value) check from the "customer", and you are expected to pay them a commission via WU for the order. Of course the check will be fake, but possibly good enough that the bank releases the funds and you have wired the fees to them before they discover it is a fake--and you are left holding the bag a few weeks later when the fraud is discovered. I'd lean toward check scam, myself - over the past few months, there have been fake check scams targeted at attorneys (see scamwarners for more information if you would like) but word has gotten out now, so the victim pool is dwindling, and it wouldn't surprise me if they have picked a new market to focus on.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic