SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Craigslist $75 scam...seriously?

View next topic
View previous topic

scan.artist
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So, to start out I've been here a couple times for a good laugh but never really considered participating until now.

I have a TV I want to get rid of so I posted it on craigslist. Didn't get anything, so I reposted and dropped the price to $75 and got a response.

Quote:
Hello
I really appreciate your response to my email.I want you to
consider it sold, pls do withdraw the advert from craigslist to
avoid disturbance.I want you to know that i will be paying via bank
certified check .I will like you to provide me with the following.
information to facilitate the mailing of the check to you ...
1.....Full name to write on the check
2.....Full Physical address to post the check
3.....City, State and Zip Code
4.....Home & Cell Phone to contact you
*** Note that the payment will be shiped to your address via UPS NEXT
DAY SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you
have cashed the check** Thanks

1: I already stated in the ad that cash would be the only form of currency accepted.
2: I know better than to accept a certified check from a stranger.

Thinking I didn't want to waste my time, and giving this person the benefit of the doubt, I replied that only cash was accepted. Until I got a second response.

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the message you sent but i must let you know that it is not
the cash payment thats my problem but for now i can only pay you thru
the check just because am presently out of my home state and am only
here with my check book.........please i dont wish to miss or loose
the item of yours and i will wait for the clearance of the check
before coming for the pickup.............kindly
beconsiderate..........thanks.

As if the spelling and bad grammar aren't a tip-off, this is a sad story Sad guess I better play the sucker now Laughing . I was just supremely surprised that someone would attempt this for such a small amount of money.

Other than giving this person the address to the white house, does anyone have some suggestions for dealing with this type of scam?
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If this scammer has any of your real info, drop him. The first rule of baiting is "bait safe" which means that absolutely nothing you give him can be tied to you (name, address, phone, any other info). Just tell him someone local came and picked the item up. You can always pick him or another scammer up easily using a new fake email.

The value of the item doesn't really matter, because what they will likely do is send you a fake check for way beyond the value of the item, and then they will want you to cash the check, and before you realize it is fake, you will be instructed to send the excess (which will be more than the value of the TV) by WU or moneygram to their "mover" . So for a $75 tv, you might get a fake check worth a couple of hundred to a couple of thousand dollars.

When baiting safely, you can do several different things. The check can never arrive, and you can get very pushy because you haven't got your money, or you can "receive" the check (if you are a premium member, through a safe drop box; if you use a made-up address, you can just pretend you received it and most of the time they will never know the difference). You can then have all kinds of questions/problems/issues with WU that you need explained, or you can WU the money to the wrong person, or you can take the money and run, and tell them all about how you spent their money, or you can feel bad about spending the money and send the TV with your own "shipper"...

Edit to add: Welcome, and I forgot to say that using a real address violates the Innocent Third Party (ITP) rule.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info. I didn't give anything out, and the email I used is one of my "throw-aways" that I use for signing up for things. I didn't even use any real info when I signed up for the email either, so I'm good

I was considering just to continue raising the price to something outrageous and giving a fake address. I always aspire to the P-P-Powerbook prank, if only I could build a fake TV and set up a PO box, but I think that's a little out of my scope right now.

I wasn't really going to give out a real address btw.
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater s.a.

Baiting for "small" amounts of money is nothing new. Some may want to test to see how willing you are to paying; if you do they find reason for adding more fees. In your case, they are looking for a quick check overpayment scheme like Dorothy said. Don't forget too that depending on where your lad is, converting $75 to their currency could be a lot of money.

Since you say that this is a throwaway email and no RL details are used, I see no reason not to continue with them. With that said, be mindful of your IP if you aren't using an IP stripping email account.

For sending the check, you should can sign up for premium membership (see my sig line link) so you can have access to an Eater drop box, or you can give a fake address that leads nowhere (not even the White House) and pretend you got it.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic