SmartFeedSmartFeed          

Porsche Hangout

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

Craig's List rental scam

View next topic
View previous topic

syntax
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In the course of this week, I almost fell victim of a 419 scam on Craig's List for a house rental. After exchanging a few e-mail's with this prospective "landlord", I became more and more suspicious. To keep everyone updated on the course of events, I will post all e-mail correspondences to this date. Those who have kept up with this in the GENERAL bboard can skip down to the "Lease Agreement" section for the latest. I also stopped narriating it.

To: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:20:48 -0800
Subject: Craig's List ($1500 / 3br - Lovely 3 bedrooms/2.5 baths Home for rent (milpitas))

Hi Tanya,

I'm extremely interested in the home you have for rent on Craig's List. I do have one question, though.

1. What else will I have to pay for in addition to the rent? (gas, water, electric, garbage?)

2. How much will it cost to move in? (first month & deposit? last month and deposit?)

3. Is the house fully paid for?... and are you the owner?

The reason I'm asking the last question is because I'm currently renting a place for the same price in San Jose. The place is GREAT and I don't want to move... but my landlord is going through foreclosure. This leaves me in a very bad situation with having to find another place to live now. Sad

Thank you for your time and I eagerly await your reply. You can call me, if you wish.

Best regards,
Ken
[my phone# here]

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:52:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Craig's List ($1500 / 3br - Lovely 3 bedrooms/2.5 baths Home for rent (milpitas))

Yes the Home is it available. It is located at #1450 N Hillview Dr Milpitas, CA 95035. Kindly let me know if the location is okay with you so that i can give you more details and description of the Home with more pictures.

Thanks

Tanya or Sherry? I'm guessing her first name is Tanya and middle name must be Sherry and she likes to be called by her middle name... or something of that nature.

What? No replies to my questions? And what's this, "Yes the home is it available"? What? You tell me! I didn't even ask that!

I also noticed that the address had some strange dashed underlining to it and hovering my mouse arrow over it would give me a hand icon instead of an arrow, as if it were a link, but clicking on it did nothing (I use FireFox
with NoScript, so I wear my cybercondom when browsing) nor did the message source reveal a link.

I look-up the address on Google Maps. Street View shows the same house as what's shown in the Craig's List ad, but the picture is at a different angle, so this is appearing to be somewhat legit. I also notice that it's right next to the 680 freeway and I'm concerned about the noise from it. I reply...

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:05:11 -0800
Subject: Craig's List ($1500 / 3br - Lovely 3 bedrooms/2.5 baths Home for rent (milpitas))

Hi Sherry,

Google Maps Street View of the area looks incredibly nice! Being at the end of a court, I suspect that there's not much traffic that goes by on the street-side. I'm very interested, but have some additional questions:

3. It appears that the back yard would be right next to 680. Is there a lot of freeway noise? Is there a sound barrier there to prevent the noise?

I'm still extremely interested in it. Can you please provide the pictures, details and descriptions? Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Ken
[my phone# here]

I added my additional question as #3, to kindly reminder "Sherry" that there are previous questions unanswered.

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:16:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Craig's List ($1500 / 3br - Lovely 3 bedrooms/2.5 baths Home
for rent (milpitas))

Thanks for your email and it is my pleasure hearing from you. I am the owner of the house you are making inquiry of. Actually I resided in the house with my family my Husband and my only daughter,And presently we had packed due to my transfer from my working place, am now situated in Louisville ,Kentucky.I want you to know that it was due to my transfer that made us to leave the house and also want to give it out for rent and we are looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at all time, and the person which is reliable and responsible that will rent it to take it as if it were their own.Am here in Louisville ,Kentucky here right now in our new house and also with the keys/document of the house we are willing to rent out to you.

We tried to look for an agent that we could give this document before we left but could not find any as a matter of urgency.And we as well don't want our home misused in our absence that is why we took it along with us.So i hope you will promise us to take very good care of the house.Get back to me on how you would take care of our home or perhaps experiences you have in renting home.

Hope you are okay with the price of $1,500/month for the place with hydro,heat laundry facilities,air condition, internet connection. I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible so that i can forward you an application to fill out and discuss on how to get the home for rent,also are you ready to rent it now or when?you can view our room picture at the attach file as you can see the pictures of the place are beautiful that is why we need a maintenance and up keep of our home. Thank you

From the spelling errors, no spaces after the end of sentences, and grammar errors, this is beginning to smell like the ol' Nigerian scam. I'm still unsure, so I reply...

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 20:54:43 -0800

I'm totally lost for words. Your home is lavish, and I can see why you want it taken care of. I'm sorry to hear about your relocation to Kentucky. I'm sure you're already missing your beautiful home.

With a home that's so immaculate, I feel it would be a disgrace to do anything that is unclean in it. From the hardwood floors, white cabinets and stain-free white carpeting, if you were to accept me as a tenant in your home, you have my word on the following:

[details here about how I will upkeep her home]

The fireplace is nice and will be seldom used, but it will be kept clean
and tidy. I like to do spring cleaning once per year as well. I blame
my mom for making me into a clean freak. Smile I also have renters
insurance through State Farm. If you like, I can send you information
on what it covers, and possibly extend it to include other items if you
deem it be necessary.

I would like to tell you a little bit about myself so that you know more
of the person that you're potentially allowing to live in your home.
[details about myself here, including age, ethnicity, being single with no children, job, income, and hobbies]

You can view my LinkedIn profile at:

[my LinkedIn profile URL here]

I've always pay my rent on time or early. The place I'm in now is the first place I've lived in on my own, and I hope this doesn't put a sour taste in your mouth in regards to my interest and your decision. In the past, I've always lived with a roommate or family member. However, I felt it was time for me to live on my own and by myself. I'm content with that and enjoy my peace, the quietness, and the privacy. I love the place I'm at now and wouldn't be moving out if my landlord wasn't going through a foreclosure. This is why I'm looking for a place that is already owned. I'm looking for a place to settle down, but not quite ready to buy a home of my own yet.

There's one other question that I forgot about. Is there broadband Internet services available to that home? Due to my line of work, that's a very important thing I must have.

I swear, your interior looks brand new! It reminds me of the times when my Dad was in the military and we would have to move every 3 years. The Army has very strict rules about how clean the place should be when we moved out. They practically went through the place with a white glove inspection and we had to ensure that it would pass. Please excuse me while I drool over the pictures for a little while. I might have to purchase a clean room bunny suit if you accept me. Smile

Please feel free to contact me at any time via phone or e-mail. I truly appreciate the time you've taken to consider me.

Best regards,
Ken
[my phone# here]

I added an additional question. I'm still fooled at this point, as I've never seen this type of 419 scam before.

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:10:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Craig's List ($1500 / 3br - Lovely 3 bedrooms/2.5 baths Home for rent (milpitas))

Good hearing from you that you are promising us that our house will be well taken care off,and I really appreciate your expression.Like I told you there's none of my friends or relatives to show you the House.The House is fully Unfurnished as shown in the pictures i sent.i want you to stick to your words.Is that okay with you?And the below is the final question that you must answer to qualify for the rent. I will advise you to drive by my house but you cant check inside because i have the keys here with me.Hope you have a nice working day,in fact i will like to meet you when coming to visit you soonest.We do a long term and short term renting anytime you wish to leave the place will be greatful and we are ready to rent a long-term for 2 years lease or more.

*********RENT20APPLICATION FORM********

Also,Pls let me get this answer.

1)Your Full Name

02)Present Full Address(where you reside now) & Phone Number to Reach You

03)How old are you?

04)Are you married?

05)How many people will be living20in the house?

06)Do you have a pet?

07)Do you have a car?

08)What is your religion?

09)Occupation?

10 ) When are you ready to Move In?

11 ) When are u planning to leave the house?

How many Months Deposit are you willing to pay upfront?$1,500/month
Security deposit fee is $1,500

Amenities
# Bedroom :3
# Bathroom : 2.5
# Extra Toilet : 1
# Extra Guest Room: 1
# Sofa Bed :
# Bed Linen

Accommodation Features
Wood Floor :
Heater :
Central Heating :
Equiped Kitchen :
Tv: Cable/Satellite
TV:
Video/Stereo:
Internet :
Air Conditioning:
Full Kitchen
Refrigerator:
Kitchen Features

....................... ...........

Washing machine:
Juice Machine :
Iron :
Toaster:
Oven :
Dishwasher :
Coffee Maker :
Microwave :
Refrigerator:
Stove:

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details for approval so that i
can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt in your name and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the documents and the keys to you,Please we are giving you all this transaction is based on Trust & Honesty and again I want you to stick to your words,We are putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this property of ours and God bless you more as you do this

"like my expression"? This is smelling more and more like the Nigerian scam. And all of this talk about "trust", "honest", and "God" to make it seem like they're putting so much trust in me, that I should put the same amount of trust in them. HMM!!

Amenities such as "bed linen", sofa bed", "juice maker", etc. in an UNFURNISHED house?

An e-mail based "Rent Application"?

The last question really threw it off... "How many Months Deposit are you willing to pay upfront?$1,500/month Security deposit fee is $1,500". I'm no lease expert, but I don't think it works on upfront payments other than the deposit plus first or last months rent, then on a month-by-month basis from there on.

I'm really suspicious now. This person is allegedly in Kentucky which is East Coast time... 3 hours ahead of me. It's now 1am my time and I found it rather odd that "Sherry" was responding to my previous e-mail's at roughly 9pm my time, which would be 12am her time. Midnight owl? I try to bait her with this to see if I get one of those late night replies.

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 00:39:20 -0800

Where will I send my money to? Do you have a phone number where I can contact you?

Best regards,
Ken

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:58:54 -0800 (PST)

I will advise you to fill out the rent application for me to know that you
are serious to rent my house

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:52:16 -0800

Awesome! The answers to your questions are in-line below.

Sherry Martinez wrote:
> *********RENT20APPLICATION FORM********
> Also,Pls let me get this answer.
> 1)Your Full Name

Ken [i]last name here, as she already has it[/]

> 2)Present Full Address(where you reside now) & Phone Number to Reach You

850 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
this is the address to the county jail in San Francisco, California

> 3)How old are you?

> 4)Are you married?

No, I had to bury my wife in the back yard years ago

> 5)How many people will be living20in the house?

Me and my 2 children. My eldest son, Johnny Bradley, is age 25 and is a Reverend for our local church and recently came back from a crusade in West Africa. Boy does he have some great experiences to share with me. My other son, Harrison Badams, age 27, is mentally handicap and tends to bunk his head on the wall quite often. We have to put a helmet on him so that he doesn't hurt himself. This has been known to put dents and holes in walls, but I've repaired many of them in the past and the walls look like new once I'm through. I hope the hallways aren't narrow. It really hurts me that they decided to change their last name after I was registered as a sex offender. I wanted it to carry on throughout the generation of our family. I suppose it doesn't really matter, though, as both of them are gay and the only way they'd have children is by adoption.

> 6)Do you have a pet?

I have a very warm and loving dog named Pookie. She's an 8 year old great dane that greets me every day I come home. I thought I was going to have to get rid of her because of how clean your house is, but after seeing this, it appears that pets are OK. That's such a relief because she's also my sexual partner. Ever since that sex offender registration, she's my only mate.

> 7)Do you have a car?

I drive a very reliable Yugo to/from work on a daily basis. It's a fantastic commuter car! Getting it smogged can be a bear, but if I pay the mechanic enough money, they can do little tweaks here and there that'll get it to pass.

> 8)What is your religion?

I'm an Atheist. Even though my children disagree, I find that praising God
is sinful to the highest degree. Burn in hell, thou soul shall be, in words spoken by no other man, woman or child! Satan bless your soul!

> 9)Occupation?

I'm semi-retired but have a great amount of income from my retirement, social security, stocks, bonds, and all the money I saved while working. I also pay young teenage boys to solicit the high school girls to come to my house to take pictures. I pay them very well and they seem to like it.

> 10 ) When are you ready to Move In ?

I should be ready to move in within a month. I just need to straighten things out with my landlord. I also need to update the boys on my new address so they know where to take my clients.

> 11 ) When are u planning to leave the house ?

Within about a month and a half.

> How many Months Deposit are you willing to pay upfront?$1,500/month Security deposit fee is $1,500

I think I can put down the security deposit in addition to the first 5 months, right away. I would want to make sure that I get the keys and documents as soon as you receive my payment. Would a money order or wire transfer work for you? Please tell me who to make it out to and here to send it.

Thank you so much! I can't wait to move in!

- Ken

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:23:25 -0800

Have you reviewed my application? I'm eagerly awaiting your reply.

- Ken

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:46:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: ready to ship the keys to you

Thanks you very much for your reply, I can see your willingness in this house. I want you to know that I'm satisfied with your application and also believe l can trust in you because l will not like to experience what l experienced from my friend tanent again.I will like to know the exact date you will like to move into the house,l showed your application to my husband and daughter, they said they are okay with it.l want you to know that we can let you stay in my house till the period of time you wish to.The house is good and clean as you see it in the pictures and yes,there is a secure parking in the building.

I want you to know that the rent fee is a mong the house utilities all included, so you can use them anytime but make you take proper care of my properties.We will come and pay you a visit after you have moved into my home to see how you are maintaining it,I will be receiving the first months rent and security deposit payment from you via Western Union Money Transfer because l think it reliable,secured and fast,l wish you best of luck in your work, from your application l can see that you are responsible and a hard working person may the almighty Lord lead you in what ever you wish to do.l see no reason why l should collect damages deposit since you have promise that you will take proper care of my ho me l think we're ok.

As soon as first month which is $1500 plus the security deposit which is $1500 payment has been confirmed by me via Western Union Money Transfer,l will go ahead and commence on how the house eys/documents will be delivered to you via DHL courier service on next day delivery and it will be delivered to the address you provided in your application form.If you're okay with this,i will send the Tenancy Agreement form for you to read & sign,you will send it back to me then we proceed by sending the
keys/documents to you asap.Let me hear back from you as soon as possible so that l can go arrange for the delivery of the keys/Documents ...
Once again I'm giving you this house on trust and do not disappointed me because l don't want our house to be destroyed again, if you wish to move
in with your own properties,we still have one extra room that is empty so you can easily put our own things that you think you don't need in there.

Here are the contents that will be delivered to you via DHL courier service..

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2)Paper/Permanent House form(Containing your reference details)
3)The House documented file.
4)Payment Receipts.
5)Full address and description of the House.

Thanks and God bless you..

The mockery begins, as I start to use 1 instead of "I" like she did...

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:04:33 -0800
Subject: ready to ship keys to you

This is absolutely GREAT!! Where do I wire the money to?? 1'm so happy that you decided to make my wishes come true.

Even though I won the Monopoly, just passed go, collected $200, and own resorts on Pennsylvania Avenue, North Carolina Avenue, and Pacific Avenue, 1 decided to go all out and also purchase Park Place and Boardwalk as well. Heaven forbid anyone land on my property at New York Avenue, Tennessee Avenue, or St. James Place, or they'd owe me quite a lot of money. 1 want to get this done as soon as possible, as 1 will be taking the train from Reading Railroad to Pennsylvania Railroad with a brief stop to my property on Tennessee Avenue, then I'll be driving to B&O Railroad where I'll hop on the train again to Short Line. Luxery Tax is always a great blessing. I hope to land on Community Chest so that I get a chance to roll again. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

- Ken

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 03:36:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Lease Aggreement form _Ken.

Thank for the mail.I very happy that i found a trustworthy tenant like you,But i want you to know that we are from a good Catholic family and will are God fearing. that is more reason why we look up for God fearing tenant also that can take good care of this home.So i want you to know that everything is going to workout fine as soon as i confirm your payment here.Yes you can move in anytime you like to move in and I promise you i will get the keys ship to you as soon as i confirm your payment.We are giving you all this transaction is based on Trust & Honesty and again I want you to stick to your words,We are putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this property of ours and God bless you more as you do this.I have attached the lease agreement form for you to sign it and send it back to me,make sure you have a copy with you.So let me hear from you today and i can forward you my payment information for you to send the money and i will ship the keys to you immediately i get the payment.Thank you

Subject: Re: Lease Aggreement form _Ken.
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:32:42 -0800

I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is my brother just passed away. A sad day, indeed. He was having intercourse with his dog, Ol' Betsy, when, suddenly, he suffered from a heart attack. He loved his dog very much, just as I do mine. At times, we would exchange our dogs for a small period of time.

The good news is I inherited a large sum of money from his death. In his passing, he left me with the sum of $8,734,622 (eight million seven hundred thirty four thousand six hundred twenty two dollars) in addition to Ol' Betsy. Both Ol' Betsy and his money are in good hands now.

I have some terrific news for you. I drove by your property and walked around the outside (don't worry, I didn't intrude and look inside). The property is absolutely BEAUTIFUL with a large back yard for Ol' Betsy and Pookie to run around. Also, based on the pictures of the interior you sent me, I think they would be comfortable inside the house as well.

I have a business proposition for you, and it's based on your Trust & Honesty, and God's good faith that I even consider this. I would like to buy the property from you. Since you're now living in Louisville, Kentucky, I think that I could make better use of the property than you can at this point. Even with today's falling economy in the United States, I'm willing to purchase the property from you with all of its Amenities for
$1,482,659 (one million four hundred eighty two thousand six hundred fifty nine dollars). Again, I'm giving you my Trust & Honesty here and look forward to hearing from you.

Hail Lucifer

I think my next step is to lure her in with some pictures of me flashing Monopoly money, and getting one of my friends to pose as my 29 year old handicap child with a biking helmet on, ready to bash his head against the wall. Then I can get trophies of him or her for my own. I'm still unsure how I'm going to do that, though... or how I will keep him/her baited. It all just comes up as the e-mail's arrive in my inbox. Tips appreciated.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To: Ken
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:28:49 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Lease Aggreement form _Ken

I understand you and I want to know if you serious to purchase my house?.

Subject: Re: Lease Aggreement form _Ken

Yes, I am very serious. However, I come across some more bad news. Just today, I was notified that the person who sold me the property on Tennessee Avenue was not the true owner. It turns out that the person I purchased Tennessee Avenue from wasn't available to show me the house and, just as you're doing, promised to deliver me the documents and keys upon payment.

At this point, my bank will not let me transfer payments to anyone that they can not prove their identity. On the other hand, I understand that you just moved to Louisville, Kentucky due to your job, and having you fly out here to meet them in person may jeopardize your employment. I'm sensitive to your situation and don't want to put you in that position. At the same time, however, my bank needs proof of identity and they will not take "no" for an answer.

I spoke with the people at my bank and informed them of having to recently move to Louisville, Kentucky because of your job and that having you fly out here is out of the question. I did manage to convince them that if I get a picture of you or one of your family members, they would consider the immediate transfer of funds in full payment of $1,482,659 to an account of your choice. The picture has to be authentic, so it has to be done exactly as the bank wants it, otherwise the bank will not transfer the money. In all honesty, it shouldn't be very hard for you to do, as I've arranged it to be convenient for you. The bank wants a picture of you holding a sign with a serial number and bar code on it. The custom serial number and bar code, which the bank is choosing, is simply to prove that the picture is current. The bank had issues with fake pictures in the past which didn't prove the identity, so this is the only way they will accept it.

Attached to this e-mail is the sign that you must print.
1. You or one of your family members must hold the sign up so that
it's covering the chest or stomach.
2. The print-out and the picture must be very clear so that the text
and bar code can be read from the picture.
3. The picture must contain a full exposure of you or your family
members' body.

That's all there is to it. The size of the paper it's printing on should fit on an 8.5x14" (also known as "legal") size sheet of paper. I really appreciate you and your family taking the time to do this. For the troubles, I will give you an extra $100 (one hundred dollars) in the
transaction once you've sent me the picture as instructed. The extra $100 will be included in the final payment of the property making the grand total $1,482,759.

que tu alma se la lleve el diablo y que te pudras en el infierno
this traslates to: May the devil take your soul and you rot in hell

- Ken

Here is the picture I made for him/her to hold:

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So, any updates to this yet?
I love how the application was shown around to her husband and child and all three seemed to be okay with you being a dog humping child molester who worships the Devil.

- Jennifer, Why have you taken my private letter to you to the scam website.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic