SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Need a real techie-person help!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Tastysnack
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My lovely daughter used my laptop last night. Upon finishing her homework, she closed it, and rested it on it's edge against the wall.

It slid about 8" down to the floor. Apparently the HD was still spinning. Wouldn't load up last night.

Pulled the drive out, put the SATA drive on an external enclosure I had, and put the USB into my downstairs PC. My computer recognizes the drive as a HD, but is showing the size as "zero" 0GB.

I think the partitions are shot. Doesn't make any rattles, and seems to spin up ok upon power up.

I can't afford the services of a clean room to take apart the drive. Apart from some family pictures (backed up), and family home movies (not backed up) there isn't a whole lot. But the movies would really be nice to get back.

Any really good software that one would recommend? I don't mind paying, but I would prefer some sort of demo to make sure it's going to work. I can afford around $50-75USD.

Thanks in advance.

The drive itself is a Fujitsu 100GB. It originally was split into 2 drives. An 11 GB section for HP(the system restore data), and 89 GB for general use.

I am using a quad core intel PC with Vista Ultimate. I have enough HD space on the PC to make a total transfer of data to restore.

I know just enough PC stuff to get myself in trouble. But not enough to fix this problem.

"you are the must fool i have ever seen fuck you like the 12.5 million idoit dont write me again" Radebe Gumede 7-16-09 after his bank transfer failed.

"Sorry we do not know Mr. Gomer. Send that email fromthe so called gomer to us for scrutiny."- Devati Mooleedhar

SON OF A DOG GO EAT SHIT AND DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOSERRRRRRRRR.GET A LIFE--Bakar Saud (After Mr. Gomer chopped his dolla')

YOU ATE OUR MONEY AND YOU START MOCKING US--Bishop Anthony

Fake Checks Received= $63,487 US
Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I did a quick google. Try and put the HDD in a zip lock baggy and slap that baby in the Fridge for a while (or freezer for significantly less time). take it out and let it get warm again. This may free it up if anything is jammed ro binding...if all else fails, shake the piss out of it. You tried the "usb" thing, and it didn't work....couldn't you just find something on eBay for cheapish? 100gigs isn't very much. it might only cost you 100 bucks.

EDIT: I found a program called "SpinRite" it includes an ISO to burn to cd-r.. do that, plug drive into pc & boot from the cd and let it crank away in repair mode. I might be able to swing that for you. I'll download it tonight when I get off work. which is in 15 mins.

Closed lad accounts 10+ Mortar x6
Tastysnack
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The problem isn't the size/cost of a new drive.

At issue is the 2 years of family home video that is/was on the HD. I have some backed up on my basement computer, but not all of it. And some pictures.

"you are the must fool i have ever seen fuck you like the 12.5 million idoit dont write me again" Radebe Gumede 7-16-09 after his bank transfer failed.

"Sorry we do not know Mr. Gomer. Send that email fromthe so called gomer to us for scrutiny."- Devati Mooleedhar

SON OF A DOG GO EAT SHIT AND DRINK WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOSERRRRRRRRR.GET A LIFE--Bakar Saud (After Mr. Gomer chopped his dolla')

HarvestMoon
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TS If you can't get it to work yourself, you can probably take the HD to a computer repair place and retrieve the data.

"You must really think i am a fool.God punish you for taking me for a joke" Dead George
Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yeah I understand. Try the fridge thing...or not, but ill download that program.

Closed lad accounts 10+ Mortar x6
Tastysnack
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Harvest Moon,

That is too $$. It's about $100 bench charge before they start, and then about $100/hr after that.

If you need a clean room a regular HD can run $2700. Thats out of my budget.

Unless you want to WU me the funds....

Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not that you want to do it (I didn't want to but I had to as I had about 10,000 photos on a crashed HD--unfortunately it decided to crash while I was copying data to a new backup drive after the original failed--so I had 2 crashed drives at one time) but if you end up desperate, I actually found a company who charged me $400 about a year ago for a clean room recovery (and yes, they were successful) and have a "no-data, no fee policy"

Of course now I am ultra paranoid and I backup to 2 different drives...

I think you are in my neck of the woods, too.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

at http://dposoft.net
they have a programm called hd-regenerator.
the trial version will gonna tell you, if the full version could be sucessfull.
this works mainly on bad sectors, but you could give it a try

i used other data-recovery-software (google for that) also sucessfull in the past, but not on physical-demaged drives. a good and free one is test-disk,
at http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
it runs on command-line (windows)
good luck

Last edited by frank.lester on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I had to do this recently on a re-partitioned USB stick. I've forgotten what I used, but it was on Linux anyway. The software is certainly out there.

If you've damaged the heads, then nothing is going to work except the clean-room, and in that case you should leave it alone because trying to read it could damage the disk more. But if you are sure you can't afford that route, it wont matter.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've just realised that Personal Computer World for March 2009 has an article on this subject. It should still be on the shelves, but hurry because I have already received the April edition here.

They recommend Recuva: http://www.pcw.co.uk/2187036 or http://www.recuva.com/

Others they mention:
www.softperfect.com
www.glarysoft.com
www.pcinspector.de

And more on the PCW download portal: www.pcw.co.uk/downloads

They tested Recuva against www.Active-Undelete.com, and Recuva won. However for $39.99 Active Undelete has the ability to search for file patterns; so it can theoretically find a file even if the folder data has been wiped. The Enterprise version can restore deleted partitions, but if you've had physical damage on the platter, it may not be possible to write to that section of the disk.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic