SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

The African languages

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

Location: Wandering around the world with a sense of adventure!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As the aspiring linguist that I am, I find it interesting on the ways people express them self in different languages. The African languages have caught my interest but I don't intend on learning them for reasons of not visiting their countries.
It would shock the lad to know that you are speaking a language of his country around him! Laughing

The most common one that is spoken or talked about I guess is Swahili.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_languages

I also found it interesting that the moré language (an official language of Burkina Faso) was on the Foreign Language institute website.

They are put into four language families:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Asiatic_languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilo-Saharan_languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger-Congo_languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khoisan_languages

Unclassified languages
A fair number of unclassified languages are reported in Africa; many remain unclassified simply for lack of data, but among the better-investigated ones may be listed:

possibly Afro-Asiatic: Ongota
possibly Nilo-Saharan: Shabo
possibly Niger-Congo: Bangi-me, Laal, and Jalaa.
possibly Khoe: Kwadi
Less well investigated ones include Bete, Bung, Kujarge, Lufu, Mpre, Oropom, and Weyto. Several of these are extinct, and adequate comparative data is thus unlikely to be forthcoming.

In addition, the placement of Kadu, Omotic, Kordofanian, Dogon, Hadza, and Sandawe - among others - is controversial.

Here's a more useful links:
http://www.africanlanguages.org/
http://www.muturzikin.com/carteafrique.htm
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If I may offer some insight into the language groups stemming from both my interest in history and the many years that I lived in Africa.

The "Afro-Asiatic" languages (as they are referred to) are simply ones that have been heavily influenced by (or simply are) Arabic. The Islamic conquests of the 7th century were the root of this. These are not native to Africa in the same way that English is not native to North America.

The "Niger-Congo" languages, which I simply refer to as the Bantu languages, are the result - or rather, their similarity is a result - of the expansion of the Bantu people across Africa. This in the same way that the Germanic languages of Europe (pre-colonial) are a result of mass migrations of the Germanic-speaking people.

The "Khoisan" languages are largely extinct due to a combination of the Bantu expansion and colonization. The majority of speakers of this language today reside in places largely untouched by technology and still live their traditional lifestyle.

I hope I may have added something that you are unlikely to find in Wikipedia.
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

NickTheCop wrote:
All that stuff above. Please don't quote whole posts, thanks. Smile - Roy

Good to know. Yeah, wikipedia isn't really the most useful since everyone and anyone can edit it. Not to mention the edit wars that go on there as well but it was all I could come up with at the moment. The links from wikipedia are useful though.
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wikipedia can be a fast and free source of information, no doubt. Even I'm guilty of using it on many occasions. I was just adding some tidbits of information that are less likely to be found there. I find experience is the best source of information.
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Koko.Dk - You said:
Quote:
It would shock the lad to know that you are speaking a language of his country around him!

This indeed can be a good weapon to use. I have used a language of Benin sparingly to convince a lad that my character was real.
After all, our use of language is our strongest weapon against the lads. It leads to everything else - wasting their time and money, getting them to give up bank account info, getting trophies and safaris. Any knowledge you gain in African languages is bound to help you somewhere in baiting. Welcome to eater, and thanks for the links. I bookmarked them and put them in my tools folder. Very Happy

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There are so many African languages.

In South Africa there are 9 official African languages:

IsiNdebele
IsiXhosa
IsiZulu
Northern Sotho
Sesotho
Setswana
SiSwati
Tshivenda
Xitsonga

Then we have an unofficial language- Fanagalo which can be viewed as pidgin - a simplified version of Zulu, Xhosa, English, Dutch and Afrikaans (spoken on the mines)

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

~ SlapHappy,

How did the lad respond when you used the language?
You're welcome.
Sleepless
Goat Licker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From my own experience I found that lads themselves can sometimes be best language teachers. My romance baits seems to be best sources of that learning, as in "gee honey, how do you say xxxx in your language?"
This way I picked up a little Igbo and Yoruba, though nowhere enough to impress a random lad.

I had an opportunity to visit Igboland in the summer and much to my dismay I found that I must be tone deaf...at least as far as Igbo is concerned - it is a tonal language. Armed with a dictionary, I had three separate native speakers pronounce the word "akwa" to me from the dictionary. Depends how it is said, it can mean: cry, cloth, egg, or bed. I didn't hear much difference... So much for great bait ideas....I'll want to tell the lad I am ready to cry and he'll think that I am ready to bed him. Shocked

"You demanded for tampax i bought it now where are you?" - Z4k3 4dams
United Kingdom Closed lad accounts x19, Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safaris- Lagos Nigeria to Paga ("Crocodile City") Ghana; repeat Lagos to Tokwari Ghana - 3800mi. (With SH & Craig & Frumpy )
Safari Safari Safari Nancy, Security Guy, Robert Accra to Tamale (with SH)
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ A bit off-topic, but did you get to visit the legendary Lagos?
Sleepless
Goat Licker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Nick. Flew out of MM couple times recently and spent a few days in and around Lagos. Been to other places in the CFA zone too. PM if you want to chat about any place in particular.

"You demanded for tampax i bought it now where are you?" - Z4k3 4dams
United Kingdom Closed lad accounts x19, Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safaris- Lagos Nigeria to Paga ("Crocodile City") Ghana; repeat Lagos to Tokwari Ghana - 3800mi. (With SH & Craig & Frumpy )
Safari Safari Safari Nancy, Security Guy, Robert Accra to Tamale (with SH)
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sleepless: Really? That's cool but albeit it only works in romance baits and not the typical bait I'm guessing. Confused

Oh and here's a good language website if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.omniglot.com

Last edited by Kokomeister on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Koko.Dk - When I said that my houngan character was in touch with his dead grandmother's spirit, I used the phrases, "BE NKA BI" (no one should bite the other) and "SESA WO SUBAN" (change your character) as the words she was telling the lad. It definitely helped convince him that my character was a real person, and he believed everything the houngan said was true after that, and never questioned a single thing the character said.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/sesotho.php
http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/afrikaans.php
http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/swahili.php
http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/xhosa.php
http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/zulu.php

Here are some phrases that maybe useful for some baits.

YOU ARE TOO SMALL, GO AHEAD WITH WHATEVER YOU THINK OR IMAGINED THAT YOU CAN DO TO ME, ONCE YOU TRY ONCE YOU WILL DIE HARD. YOU BETTER DON'T TRY ME AT ALL YOU FOOL- Mariam Abacha (6 months)
<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232044">[Current ongoing bait]</a>
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Exclusive prizes]</a>
Closed lad accounts x17 Goat Easter Egg 2011 Nigeria
Safari Auntie Tina- Lagos-Parakou-Tanguieta-Niamey-Tera-Mallanville-Lagos "well the story you read in children's fairytale story book when you are young is not the same as what is happing now."
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ All of those languages save for Swahili are from South Africa. Also, Afrikaans is a branch-off language (forgive the term, I couldn't think of a proper one) of Dutch.

Although South Africa does have its fair share of 419ers, most of them speak English even at home.

I have yet to hear of scammers from Swahili-speaking countries. I'm not saying they don't exist, they're just rare, like Norwegian scammers.

The languages of West Africa would be more useful for baiting. Such as Wolof for Senegalese scammers, Igbo and Yoruba (primarily) for Nigerian scammers, and so forth.

Hope that helps.

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nick the Cop: Are southern African countries less likely to scam? Or is the government more stable down there? Or do you not know?

Yoruba/Igbo-Nigeria
Wolof- Senegal
Moré- Burina Faso

Now the question is getting them to speak them. I know most of Africa knows French, so I could try it but they might insist English though. I had a lad from Côte d'ivoire (Ivory Coast) tell me not to contact the lawyer in French.

YOU ARE TOO SMALL, GO AHEAD WITH WHATEVER YOU THINK OR IMAGINED THAT YOU CAN DO TO ME, ONCE YOU TRY ONCE YOU WILL DIE HARD. YOU BETTER DON'T TRY ME AT ALL YOU FOOL- Mariam Abacha (6 months)
<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232044">[Current ongoing bait]</a>
Safari Auntie Tina- Lagos-Parakou-Tanguieta-Niamey-Tera-Mallanville-Lagos "well the story you read in children's fairytale story book when you are young is not the same as what is happing now."
NickTheCop
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Typically 419 scammers are from Western Africa as that is where the whole thing was developed. Nigerian university students in the 80s if I'm not mistaken.

Southern African countries like Namibia and Botswana have relatively stable governments. It is important that you take note of the word "relatively". South Africa, another country in Southern Africa, (be careful not to confuse the two) also has a relatively stable government but for some reason the 419 phenomenon has spread much faster there.

As for Eastern African countries - where Swahili is spoken - I have yet to come accross a 419-esque scam from there. Again, I'm not saying that they don't exist, just that they are very uncommon.

Finally, here's an easy reference to Francophonic Africa. (Don't mind Vietnam) EDIT: (...or India, for that matter)

Safari Safari Nodo - Lagos to Cotonou - with P.P3t3rs
Safari Lagos to Abuja to Maiduguri - 3050km/1900mi

Sand Timer Safari Safari Safari Broda Michael - 1500km/900mi - Lome to Lagos
-I LOST EVERYTHING THAT NIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF YOU.

Safari BJ - Lome to Abidjan to Yamoussoukro
Safari Lome to Lagos - 2275km/1400mi

Misc : Safari Safari Safari Safari
Total : 17 000 Mugu Miles (27 000km)

pony Closed lad accounts x7 United Kingdom x2 Mortar x8 GoatGoat

"MAY YOUR BLOOD BE SHARED AMONG DOGS AND WOOIS.
YOU FACKING SON OF THE DIVEL YOU ARE MORE STUPID." - Broda Michael

Mr Bigg's is dead! Long live Mr Bigg's! Easter Egg
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Damn, and I thought the best known language in Africa was the $ Laughing

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam Patroller: Money Lolz? Laughing
Nick the cop: I know Afrikaans is a language derived from Dutch (The Flemish dialect- an immigrant from South Africa corrected me that it was Flemish and not Dutch, even though Flemish is a dialect of Dutch Rolling Eyes).
[/img]

lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Although primarily derived from Dutch/Flemish, the version spoken today had many other influences.

Dutch
Khoikoi
Portugese
Malays
French Hugenots
Germans
Indonesians
West Africans

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
larry
Old Telecom Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have always been a little discouraged that I could not use my Kiswahili in a bait. I have never encountered a scammer from East Africa (although I am sure there are some). I have my nose in my books again since I will be back in Kenya on the 30th of January. One interesting thing that I have noticed about the east african countries is that West African people living there seem to cause a significant amount of the crime. Sort of like Jamaicans in Florida (and other types of profiling). I knw that the Kenyans loath Nigerians and enjoy laughing at their television programs since they always have a spiritual element (ghosts).

"Mimi si yule ninayesema ni mimi" - Larry

"sir i have just told you the gospel truth" - D4n Nkw3rr3
Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkw3rr3: Port Harcourt to Abeche (with a layover in Cameroon)
Closed lad accounts x 4 Cellphone x 2 pony
A Skinner
Texas Lad-Saw Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Larry,
I caught the post in which you will be returning to Kenya on Jan. 30. I know it is a long shot, but would you have anything to do with the
David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust? We donate to it is why I'm asking.

Thanks,
Skinner

SINCE YOU MADE ME TO GIVE MY CAR AWAY AND ALL THE DISAPOINTMENTS YOU GAVE TO ME,WHICH MADE ME TO STOP CONTACTING YOU. PLEASE DO NOT INVOLVE ME WITH ANYTHING YOU ARE DOING WITH ANYBODY, PLEASE DONT INVOLVE ME.I DONT WANT ANYTHING THAT WILL JEOPARDIZE MY IMAGE IN THIS COUNTRY.I AM A HUMANITARIAN LAWYER.

infact am getting tired with all this speculation in this transaction, honestly if i had known that this is the kind of person you are i would not have contacted for an assistance

Urgent??? Impotent massage

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's something on Moré:
http://fsi-language-courses.com/Mor%C3%A9.aspx

A forum on Yoruba:
http://www.abibitumikasa.com/forums/yoruba-language-resources/

Igbo phrases:
http://www.geocities.com/athens/acropolis/3629/phrases.html

http://www.wolofonline.com/

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic