SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Split from Complaining about Scam Phone Numbers

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Xena
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Split from: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32896&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Please don't necro old threads, you can start a new topic and link to the old one for relevent discussion. -Ima

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but what's the opinion on killing UK forwarding telephone numbers (mostly starting '070' and forwarding to foreign mobiles)?

They are commonly used by Lotto scam e-mail, presumably to convince the recipient that the lottery is based in the UK.

A couple of years back, I used to contact Magrathea Telecommunications who would switch them off on request.

-Xena
spot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ and I did the same, and the Lads just reapplied.

The telecos have no mechanism to stop them doing it .... at the moment it just as much a waste of time as killing e-mail addresses

Xena
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the reply Spot.

Surely they could automatically stop an new number from forwarding to a certain (actual) number by cross-referencing with a blacklist... Oh well, maybe it's a good suggestion for them.

-Xena
spot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Open Telecom International Ltd , and Magrathea Telecommunications Limited are the scammers choice for redirect numbers but there are lots of smaller telecos ...for instance Invomo Ltd, Your Communications Ltd and Opal Telecom Limited.

If one individual teleco put in some sort of screening mechanism then the Lads would just move to another.

The telecos are running a business ... one's losss would be an other's gain and profit is the name of the game.

What it would need is someone like the Ofcom (?) to make a ruling compelling them all to change. ..... I seem to remember reading many months ago that 070 numbers might be phased out as they have were originally introduced as a "follow me anywhere number" before cell phones became widely available to us all.

Owd Git
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

070 "personal" or "follow me" numbers may indeed be phased out as ofcom do recognise the scamming potential of such numbers. However there are legitimate users of these services and they are more likely to be replaced with something new, rather than removed completely.

As a baiter I would miss my flextel numbers Crying or Very sad

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numbering03/070precall/

"You have thought me never to trust any man." Paul Williams
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic